Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

The Inquisition, The Satanic Panic, and Rock & Roll

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

There's a wise old saying that you don't really know people when they are weak but when they are strong. Strong people are more likely to impose their wills on weaker people and are more likely to make their true feelings known to others.

Does this bit of wisdom apply to Christianity? I think we can find the answer in the history books. When Christianity was strong and ruled much of the known world, it often used deadly force to make people act according to the dictates of church leaders and Christian rulers. Perhaps the most infamous example of this deadly force was the Inquisition which tortured and executed alleged heretics and witches as acts of faith in Christ. Christians at that time made no secret that Jesus meant business and that all who opposed him must be destroyed.

Of course, these acts and the Inquisition itself receded as secularism gained enough power to oppose the church. However, Christianity maintained much of its power and influence and has done so to this day. The ideas of a wrathful God, punishment of sinners, and a wily Devil are still with us. In fact, as modern-day Christian prophets like Hal Lindsey predicted the end of the world in the 1970s and 1980s, Christians became almost obsessed with the idea of Satan preparing to go to war with God in the Battle of Armageddon. Satan was showing up everywhere including in New Age books, bar codes, and even Procter & Gamble logos!

But perhaps the main target of this "Satanic panic" was rock acts. Christians saw them as heralds of the Devil and his rule over the earth. Bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were allegedly "backwards masking" subliminal Satanic messages to inspire youth to worship the Devil.

So whatever happened to this panic over Satan? Broadly speaking, secular society rose up and defeated the effort of many Christians to impose their beliefs on society. Much of what those Christians were saying was exposed as not only untrue but as harming innocent people. As I see it, the attempt to resurrect the Inquisition failed because Christianity no longer had the power to impose its deadly will.

So long live rock and roll!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: The Inquisition, The Satanic Panic, and Rock & Roll

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm There's a wise old saying that you don't really know people when they are weak but when they are strong. Strong people are more likely to impose their wills on weaker people and are more likely to make their true feelings known to others.

Does this bit of wisdom apply to Christianity? I think we can find the answer in the history books. When Christianity was strong and ruled much of the known world, it often used deadly force to make people act according to the dictates of church leaders and Christian rulers. Perhaps the most infamous example of this deadly force was the Inquisition which tortured and executed alleged heretics and witches as acts of faith in Christ. Christians at that time made no secret that Jesus meant business and that all who opposed him must be destroyed.

Of course, these acts and the Inquisition itself receded as secularism gained enough power to oppose the church. However, Christianity maintained much of its power and influence and has done so to this day. The ideas of a wrathful God, punishment of sinners, and a wily Devil are still with us. In fact, as modern-day Christian prophets like Hal Lindsey predicted the end of the world in the 1970s and 1980s, Christians became almost obsessed with the idea of Satan preparing to go to war with God in the Battle of Armageddon. Satan was showing up everywhere including in New Age books, bar codes, and even Procter & Gamble logos!

But perhaps the main target of this "Satanic panic" was rock acts. Christians saw them as heralds of the Devil and his rule over the earth. Bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were allegedly "backwards masking" subliminal Satanic messages to inspire youth to worship the Devil.

So whatever happened to this panic over Satan? Broadly speaking, secular society rose up and defeated the effort of many Christians to impose their beliefs on society. Much of what those Christians were saying was exposed as not only untrue but as harming innocent people. As I see it, the attempt to resurrect the Inquisition failed because Christianity no longer had the power to impose its deadly will.

So long live rock and roll!

I think Christianity has finally gotten smarter. Instead of killing and using brute force only, they're using culture and laws to implement their control. From Creationism and ID to controlling what going in public school books to the idea of 'well you can't disprove my views so they're just as valid as yours' that we see even on this very site, Christianity has finally 'wised up'.
Now, it's time for the public to wise up and meet Christianity's lies and deceit as fervently as Christianity pushed their views on the public.
Unfortunately, too many people are concerned with the latest Tik-Tok trend than reality. Plus, society seems to think it's 'cool' to latch on to stupid conspiracy concepts and, when Christianity sees this, they tag in for an assist.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm Bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were allegedly "backwards masking" subliminal Satanic messages to inspire youth to worship the Devil.
This is just too funny. None of those who made these claims could ever explain how the brain could understand these claimed messages given that they were indeed in reverse. I do remember a scene from the early eighties where I watched a bunch of "righteous Christian youth" spending a good part of their evening spinning records backwards to hear these so-called satanic messages. Hilarious!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pmI think Christianity has finally gotten smarter. Instead of killing and using brute force only, they're using culture and laws to implement their control. From Creationism and ID to controlling what going in public school books to the idea of 'well you can't disprove my views so they're just as valid as yours' that we see even on this very site, Christianity has finally 'wised up'.
Now, it's time for the public to wise up and meet Christianity's lies and deceit as fervently as Christianity pushed their views on the public.
Unfortunately, too many people are concerned with the latest Tik-Tok trend than reality. Plus, society seems to think it's 'cool' to latch on to stupid conspiracy concepts and, when Christianity sees this, they tag in for an assist.
If Christianity's current thrust to gain power by imposing their beliefs using culture and law succeeds, do you think we'll see Christianity for what it really is? Did the Satanic panic of the 1980s fail because as you say the public saw a need to wise up? History does not necessarily repeat itself, but it can repeat itself if we are complacent wasting our time with Tok-Tok trends.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:27 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:07 pmI think Christianity has finally gotten smarter. Instead of killing and using brute force only, they're using culture and laws to implement their control. From Creationism and ID to controlling what going in public school books to the idea of 'well you can't disprove my views so they're just as valid as yours' that we see even on this very site, Christianity has finally 'wised up'.
If Christianity's current thrust to gain power by imposing their beliefs using culture and law succeeds,
1)do you think we'll see Christianity for what it really is?
2)Did the Satanic panic of the 1980s fail because as you say the public saw a need to wise up?
3)History does not necessarily repeat itself, but it can repeat itself if we are complacent wasting our time with Tok-Tok trends.
1) Some of us do today, but unless we stand up to it, it will continue to squash non-believers beneath it's calloused thumb. Society in the USA tends to not like to have people upset and 'causing a scene'. Christians have been complaining and screaming since day 1 about being oppressed when, at least in some time throughout history, they've been the oppressors. Christianity loves to be the victim, complain and feel superior to others.
2) I'm not sure it failed at all, as I don't know what its 'end game' was. It caused panic amongst a few and allow Christianity to see what they can do with a stupid society. If that was its desire intent, then it succeeded. I think, by in large, today's society is a lot 'more dumber' than it was then, when it comes to common sense, logic and changing definitions to 'feel good'.
3) Absolutely

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:23 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm Bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were allegedly "backwards masking" subliminal Satanic messages to inspire youth to worship the Devil.
This is just too funny. None of those who made these claims could ever explain how the brain could understand these claimed messages given that they were indeed in reverse. I do remember a scene from the early eighties where I watched a bunch of "righteous Christian youth" spending a good part of their evening spinning records backwards to hear these so-called satanic messages. Hilarious!

Tcg
I had friends destroy their albums and tapes due to it. It was a catch 22 as I wasn't too keen on doing that for that reason but because the music was terrible even when played the correct direction

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:41 pm

Tcg
I had friends destroy their albums and tapes due to it. It was a catch 22 as I wasn't too keen on doing that for that reason but because the music was terrible even when played the correct direction
There is that too. Of course the Christian Rock that replaced this music was even worse at least for the most part. There were exceptions. I went to a Christian Rock festival in the early 80s where the Reverend Al Green played. He and his band showed us what class was. Oh, and they played their music forwardly.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg
In at least the original pressing of 'The Wall', in the song 'Empty Spaces', if spun backwards you can hear, "Congratulations, you have just discovered the secret message."

I've actually won bets with that bit of knowledge.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Tcg
In at least the original pressing of 'The Wall', in the song 'Empty Spaces', if spun backwards you can hear, "Congratulations, you have just discovered the secret message."

I've actually won bets with that bit of knowledge.
Sure, but no one was sent to hell over it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:23 pmThis is just too funny. None of those who made these claims could ever explain how the brain could understand these claimed messages given that they were indeed in reverse. I do remember a scene from the early eighties where I watched a bunch of "righteous Christian youth" spending a good part of their evening spinning records backwards to hear these so-called satanic messages. Hilarious!
Played backwards, "Jesus loves you" sounds like "we smell sausage."

This page will reverse an mp3 for you. In case you need it for research. Or Satan worship.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.