Jesus paid the price? Paid who? What mercy?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Jesus paid the price? Paid who? What mercy?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Christians hold Jesus to be God. At least most of them believe this.

They believe God died to pay the price for the sins of man.

I'd like to know just who is he paying this price to ? Himself?

Christians believe man can kill God. That's absurd.
It's just as rediculous as God dying so he can pay himself.

Christians see the God of the (falsely called) old testament angry and having little compassion. But claim Jesus to be loving and merciful. What mercy is there in the (falsely called) new testament?
Who is merciful?

Let's compare the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. A god who forgives our sins if we just acknowledge them and change our ways? A God who says one sins will not even be remembered.

Or the Christian God Jesus? ACCORDING to Christianity SOMEONE HAS TO PAY THE PRICE.
Imagine a courtroom and God sitting on the bench. A criminal is told he will be put in prison if he does not pay the million dollar fine. He has no money. He is led out if the courtroom to begin his sentence when someone stands up and tells the judge (god) that he'll pay the million dollars. God accepts the money and then let's the criminal go free.
Where's the mercy? A merciful judge doesn't demand someone pay the price.
How is Christianity's opinion of god merciful?
A merciful God shows mercy. How is a demand of payment merciful?

Savant

Re: Jesus paid the price? Paid who? What mercy?

Post #51

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:06 pm ...
I don't have any rights, because I can't make any up for myself. I can't just reach into the aether and pull out whatever rights I like, you can't do this to me, you can't do that to me. And if we're all equal that's even more of a disaster, with everyone imposing whatever rights they want on everyone else....
I think you have taken already for example the right to speak.

Maybe world is one big disaster because of the rights people have taken, but still, I think it is just, if people are equal and I think people should be equal.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #52

Post by Purple Knight »

1213 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:02 am
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:06 pm ...
I don't have any rights, because I can't make any up for myself. I can't just reach into the aether and pull out whatever rights I like, you can't do this to me, you can't do that to me. And if we're all equal that's even more of a disaster, with everyone imposing whatever rights they want on everyone else....
I think you have taken already for example the right to speak.
I haven't. I fully acknowledge that I may not have the right to speak and could be sinning by disseminating my opinion. It's a question of whether people have the right to be mistaken and blab anyway. Sometimes they don't, if it's slander or libel. From there, we can expect that any mistake could slander someone if you're also mistaken about to whom your statement applies, which of course you could be if you can make mistakes.

It's actually something I consider often, actually.

Savant

Post #53

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:31 pm ... I may not have the right to speak...
Don’t worry, you have right to speak to me, because I have taken the right to speak to you. :)

Avoice
Guru

Post #54

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to brunumb in post #9]
So Christianity is a pagan religion. They are polytheistic. More than one god. They use the term godhead so they dont appear pagan. You either believe in one god or you dont. And you dont.
Step back...step back and look. Its polytheistic. And for christianity its all about jesus. Jesus is it. The God of Israel is only used to convince people to believe in jesus. Its wirshipping a human...sacrificing a human. Yet a christian can watch a show about tribal people tossing babies into volcanos to appease their gods and they call them heathens. Christianity is exactly like that. Human sacrifices. It may be the year 2021 but paganism exists out in the open. And the pagans dont know their pagan. They were tricked into wirshipping a human by using the God of Israel appear to have validated it. No

Tcg
Savant

Post #55

Post by Tcg »

Avoice wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:33 am [Replying to brunumb in post #9]
So Christianity is a pagan religion. They are polytheistic. More than one god.
No, they are not polytheistic. While it makes no logical sense, they believe in three persons in one godhead. It's no less logical than believing in one person in one godhead, but it is not polytheistic.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #56

Post by bluegreenearth »

[Replying to Avoice in post #1]

I neither endorse nor reject the perspective featured in the video below but have posted it here for critical examination:

brunumb
Savant

Post #57

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to bluegreenearth in post #56]

Thanks for that thought provoking video bluegreenearth. I have never found the notion that Jesus sacrificed himself for us to be in the least bit convincing. That video presents a compelling case. I hope that some Christians here will respond with their counter arguments.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Jesus paid the price for you? What mercy?

Post #58

Post by TRANSPONDER »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:21 am
Difflugia wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:18 am
Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:48 amWhy did God demand Israelites to sacrifice so many bulls and whatnot?
Because Levites enjoyed bull stew with a nice side of grain offering.

I don't think that's why Jesus was sacrificed, though.
Never has more truth been spoken. It's pretty clear when you think about it. The priests were hungry and what better way to get fed? In fact, weren't the offerings only good if made to the priests? Slaughtering some animals in the back 40 directly to God and having a BBQ didn't cut it, you had to give the best of your products to the priests.

One is struck by how Priestship seems to have as an unwritten Universal bestowing your worldly goods on them in exchange for some benefits or other in this world or , even better, the next, wherein no moneys can be refunded in the case of non -delivery.

Avoice
Guru

Post #59

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to 1213 in post #7]

Jesus never said he forgave people of their sins

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #60

Post by nobspeople »

Avoice wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:39 am [Replying to 1213 in post #7]

Jesus never said he forgave people of their sins
What did he say about sins?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!