Christianity does ONE THING

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Christianity does ONE THING

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Christianity would fail if man didn't have to face deaths. It survives because people are scared of death. People believe because they want to be saved. What else does it offer?

God is merciful. He has allowed those who reject him to die with a smile on their face. Christians don't worry about eating pork. They are going to heaven just by saying Jesus us their savior.

Where is the God who spoke at Sinai in Christianity? Do people really believe God will reward those who say his law has been replaced? God said they were forever. Why call him a liar by saying his law is done away with?

"Like a Partridge that sits on eggs and doesn't hatch them is he who gets riches and not by right will leave them in the midst if his days and in the end will be a fool"

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: Christianity does ONE THING

Post #21

Post by Purple Knight »

Avoice wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 amWhat else does it offer?
A moral code.

HarlanGeorge
Student

Post #22

Post by HarlanGeorge »

[Replying to 1213 in post #16]

I see your point about the bias, seems as though everyone has an agenda. However, the belief that Bible must be true, or accurate simply because it serves a purpose or that there are no other reasonable explanations for its existence is far from a sound reason to believe it to be true. The bible is so riddled with inaccuracies (the earth is the center of the universe) and contradictions (book of Genesis has two different accounts of creation, and that the first book!) or socially unacceptable messages (racism, slavery, homophobia) that it's hard to overlook this. Let’s also not forget that all major religions have their own ancient text or texts (Koran, Talmud, Vedas, Tipitaka) Are you willing to say the same for all of these religious books?

I agree with what you are saying about the importance of Jesus to modern-day Christianity to some extent. However, I would argue that the New Testament of the Christian Bible is essentially anchored around Jesus for example the Gospels and all the preaching of Paul.
And as far as contradictions, I think any small town in America can attest to the inability of Christianity to agree on the tenets of their faith. I live in a small town, and we have six different churches of varying faiths. I believe there are several thousand flavors of the Christian Church in North America alone. Seems like a large contradiction to me.

Answering your last question, what is the risk? Everything, for me personally if I see all of the senseless wars, past and present, the crusades, the inquisitions, persecutions, and overall religious intolerances that lead to nothing, but destruction all done in the name of god/gods you were more than likely born into. Many, if not most, will never seriously question their faith and live their lives blindly following.
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Savant

Post #23

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:01 pm I don’t know how person could be righteous and say “there is no God”.
Why should belief in God be a prerequisite for righteousness?
I have understood righteousness means wisdom of the just, right understanding. And I don’t think anyone with correct understanding would make a claim that is not reasonable. But, this is just how I have understood it. If you don’t like it, I am not going to judge you. :)

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:36 pm Just to clarify, the people in the proposed scenario don't think God does or doesn't exist (i.e. agnosticism). Therefore, they would never say "there is no God" but will say they don't know if there is a God. Nevertheless, I appreciate your thoughful response to the question.
Ok, thank you. If person would say, “I don’t know”, I have no problem with it and I don’t believe it would be the reason to not get eternal life. But, I think also, when one sees this world and knows the Bible, there is no other reasonable explanation than God, and I would expect righteous person to understand it.

Savant

Post #25

Post by 1213 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:09 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:18 am Any single tree'll produce varying qualities of fruit, within the same fruiting season, and across seasons, based on many factors - temperature, light, moisture, and pests among the most readily identifiable....
But, I think for example apple tree produces always apples, not something else. It may be that apples are not always the best, but still, it produces apples, not some other fruit.
Funny thing about apple trees, they don't grow true to type, so you could end up growing a 'bad apple' if ya try to plant another'n from the previous'n.
Nice that you have interest in gardening, I appreciate it. But, I would like to know what would be a 'bad apple'?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Edited for clarity...
1213 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:54 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:09 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:18 am Any single tree'll produce varying qualities of fruit, within the same fruiting season, and across seasons, based on many factors - temperature, light, moisture, and pests among the most readily identifiable....
But, I think for example apple tree produces always apples, not something else. It may be that apples are not always the best, but still, it produces apples, not some other fruit.
Funny thing about apple trees, they don't grow true to type, so you could end up growing a 'bad apple' if ya try to plant another'n from the previous'n.
Nice that you have interest in gardening, I appreciate it. But, I would like to know what would be a 'bad apple'?
One that comes in a Granny Smith, when ya was ahoping on a Red Delicious comes to mind.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #27

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:36 pm Just to clarify, the people in the proposed scenario don't think God does or doesn't exist (i.e. agnosticism). Therefore, they would never say "there is no God" but will say they don't know if there is a God. Nevertheless, I appreciate your thoughful response to the question.
Ok, thank you. If person would say, “I don’t know”, I have no problem with it and I don’t believe it would be the reason to not get eternal life. But, I think also, when one sees this world and knows the Bible, there is no other reasonable explanation than God, and I would expect righteous person to understand it.
Since the ability to reason logically and acquire an accurate understanding of a complex subject has been demonstrated to be an inconsistent neurological function that depends entirely upon the genetically controlled cognitive capacity of an individual's healthy brain (presuming no brain impairments or injuries have occurred), is it justifiable to expect every righteous person to arrive at the same conclusion about the God if there is a diversity of cognitive capability within the group?

Should the righteous people whose cognitive functions are unfortunately impaired to some minor or major degree as a consequence of their genetics, health, or a brain injury be expected to accurately understand the apologetic arguments and subsequently conclude that there is no other reasonable explanation than the God?

Would a righteous non-Christian have to be cognitively inferior to lack the righteous Christian's superior understanding that the God is the only reasonable explanation?

brunumb
Savant

Post #28

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:52 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:01 pm I don’t know how person could be righteous and say “there is no God”.
Why should belief in God be a prerequisite for righteousness?
I have understood righteousness means wisdom of the just, right understanding. And I don’t think anyone with correct understanding would make a claim that is not reasonable. But, this is just how I have understood it. If you don’t like it, I am not going to judge you. :)
Once again you have side-stepped the question. Let's try again. Why should belief in God be a prerequisite for righteousness?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #29

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am But, I think also, when one sees this world and knows the Bible, there is no other reasonable explanation than God, and I would expect righteous person to understand it.
There are very reasonable explanations for this world that do not require God, the Bible, or even being righteous. Reading some other books other than the Bible might lead to enlightenment in that area.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #30

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:35 pm There are very reasonable explanations for this world that do not require God, the Bible, or even being righteous. .
Please tell one?