Christianity does ONE THING

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Christianity does ONE THING

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Christianity would fail if man didn't have to face deaths. It survives because people are scared of death. People believe because they want to be saved. What else does it offer?

God is merciful. He has allowed those who reject him to die with a smile on their face. Christians don't worry about eating pork. They are going to heaven just by saying Jesus us their savior.

Where is the God who spoke at Sinai in Christianity? Do people really believe God will reward those who say his law has been replaced? God said they were forever. Why call him a liar by saying his law is done away with?

"Like a Partridge that sits on eggs and doesn't hatch them is he who gets riches and not by right will leave them in the midst if his days and in the end will be a fool"

Savant

Re: Christianity does ONE THING

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:06 pm Yes, but did you not claim a righteous person would be expected to understand that the God is the only reasonable explanation? If righteousness depends upon people's desires and not their physical (i.e. cognitive) abilities, then what is the logical justification for expecting a righteous person to have the cognitive ability to understand that the God is the only reasonable explanation?
If person can’t comprehend question about how world exists, or can’t physically think logically, I leave the judgment to God, because I don’t know well enough people. Actually, in all cases I want to do so. I know only that by what the Bible tells, eternal life is for righteous. But, I don’t know people so well that I could tell who is really righteous and is there really some physical thing that could prevent it. I don’t believe there is any physical things preventing it.

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #42

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:19 pm
bluegreenearth wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:28 pm ...
If someone were to explain to your understanding and satisfaction that nature doesn't produce all we can observe entirely by chance, would you agree to discontinue describing the non-theistic perspective in such terms?
At least it would be interesting to hear the explanation. Especially it would be nice to know how biological life came to exist, if not by someone creating it. But, how I would think after the explanation would probably depend on what is the explanation.
Just to clarify, my question wasn't asking how you would think after receiving the explanation or if you would endorse that explanation but if you would discontinue characterizing it as "Believing that all what we can observe would come by chance..."?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Avoice wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 am Christianity would fail if man didn't have to face deaths. It survives because people are scared of death. People believe because they want to be saved.
Genetic fallacy. :D
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #44

Post by bluegreenearth »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:12 pm
Avoice wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:24 am Christianity would fail if man didn't have to face deaths. It survives because people are scared of death. People believe because they want to be saved.
From Wikipedia:
The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue) is a fallacy of irrelevance that is based solely on someone's or something's history, origin, or source rather than its current meaning or context. This overlooks any difference to be found in the present situation, typically transferring the positive or negative esteem from the earlier context. In other words, a claim is ignored in favor of attacking or championing its source.
This description of a logical reasoning error reminds me of something important, but I just can't seem to remember what it is. Oh well... my memory isn't what it used to be, but... after all... I'm only a fallible human and a sinner from birth because of the original sin committed by the very earliest of my ancestors... or so they say.
Last edited by bluegreenearth on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brunumb
Savant

Post #45

Post by brunumb »

Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that. Your pithy, one line dismissals and put-downs are rather tiresome now.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:47 pm
Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that. Your pithy, one line dismissals and put-downs are rather tiresome now.
Some folks might see such tactics as attempts to avoid the going out on a limb, or the getting pinned down too tightly.

Like parables and profesy, keep it vague and they can all be interpreted as slickly as reading the shimmerings on an oil spill.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:47 pm
Post #44, apparently.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:01 pm
Like parables and profesy, keep it vague and they can all be interpreted as slickly as reading the shimmerings on an oil spill.
I won't respond to this until I have a dictionary (shimmerings) and a lawyer present.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:46 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:01 pm
I won't respond to this until I have a dictionary (shimmerings)
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/shimmering
and a lawyer present.
Guffaw!
I won't respond to this until I have a dictionary (shimmerings) and a lawyer present.
Thanks for a rigorous belly laugh this morning :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin