Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?

From a discussion in another thread;

[Replying to Realworldjack in post #222]
Let us recall that it was you who stated,
that the stories of the empty tomb where anything other than given as hearsay and expected to be received in faith.
This is what I stated;

"What has been reported from the different sources do not altogether align - and one thing which does come across is that folk did not seem to recognize that the person claiming to have resurrected was the same person they had followed for all those months. I am happy to examine what you table as explanation for this phenomena."

I also stated;
I am not arguing that the stories themselves were or were not penned as true accounts of actual events by the very one(s) who experienced these things they claim to have experienced.
My argument is that we can only take their stories as hearsay, because we did not witness those events. What we each DO with the hearsay depends upon our faith in the stories being true, our faith that the stories being false, or in our lack of faith due to the nature of the evidence.

Are you saying, NONE of it aligns?
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Because you see, we have those who complain that much of the information is so closely the "aligned", they want to insist that there must, and had to be copying going on between the authors.
Apparently there are biblical scholars who accept that in those cases, copying may have occurred.
So then, exactly what would we expect? If they all report the same exact events, in the same exact way, I think we would have complaints that something would not be right here.
Yes - that it was unnecessary to have four exact copies of the same data.
If they report completely different, and contradictory information, then we would complain that something is not quite right.
Yes.
However, it seems to me we have exactly what we would expect.
Which still wouldn't do away with the idea that the stories were concocted by the priesthood...such would be intelligent enough to realize that to sell the story there needs to be more than one version, especially since there are no coinciding stories circulating outside of the religion.
For example - some believe that [historical] Jesus had scribes, but there is no evidence that anyone was recording his words and nothing of the sort has been found so far.
In other words, we have some events describe in almost the same way, while we have others who record events the others may leave out, and we have some who report the same events with differences in the story. So??????? What exactly would are you looking for?
I am looking for evidence to the claim that Jesus died. [and was thus resurrected.]
Would you want them to record the same exact stories, in the same exact way? Would you want them to tell completely different stories which would contradict each other? I mean, exactly what would you accept?
Based upon the stories regarding Jesus, I would expect that Jesus didn't really die.
First, your wording is sort of strange here? You seem to be saying, they did not recognize him as the same person as they had followed, as if they recognized him as someone else? However, this is not the way it is recorded. In Luke 24 we read,
"While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing Him".
So here we see, it is not as though they recognize him as someone else, but rather, they simply were, "kept from recognizing him". However, as we move on a few verses later we read,
"And then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him".

Firstly they must have seen him as 'someone else' for them to recognize that 'someone else' had entered into their company.
But what we do not know [and thus cannot assume] is what the writer meant in the use of the words.
Does it mean that their minds were being played with in some unknown manner or does it mean that it was something else about the stranger suddenly in their company which lead them to conclude they were in the presence of someone who was so just like the Jesus they knew, that it must have been him, or was Jesus' body was capable of 'shape-shifting' [changing it's appearance.]

However, in relation to the story of the stranger in the company, we see that the story unfolds over the course of a whole day, with the stranger telling them all sorts of things so that the dots connected [starting out by calling them 'fools' for not being able to do this for themselves] and by the end of the day, we are informed that they had no choice but to accept the evidence that the stranger [who they did not recognize as Jesus because it was a different body] was the same person that they had followed all those previous months.

As soon as they came to that conclusion, the stranger then vanished. [became invisible to them/appeared to no longer be in their company.]
Okay, as we turn our attention to the incident with Mary Magdalene, what we see as recorded in John 20, is (Mary) "Thinking that He was the gardener". Notice, it does not say, "recognizing him as the gardener".
Why would Mary know what the gardener looked like? Clearly she assumes a stranger there with the two other strangers is the caretaker and clearly she is confused and distressed.
But most importantly, she does not recognize the stranger until he calls her by her name...so it must have been how the stranger had done this which convinced Mary that it was Jesus.
Well, the only other incident I know of would be at daybreak, with the disciples in a boat off shore, and see Jesus on shore, as they have been fishing through the night with no catch. Jesus instructs them where to cast the net, and of course they have a net so full, it is difficult to pull the net in, and it is at this point, one of the disciples, does not "recognize" (as if he can actually see him) this as Jesus, but simply says, "It is the Lord"! Once they were all on shore, as it is recorded, they all seem to recognize this person as Jesus.

These are the only events such as this I am aware of. The above would not be my "explanation for this phenomena" because I have no explanation. Rather, this is the way it is recorded.
So we have hearsay [the stories] and within that, we have incidences which align and form an image of someone who has a distinctly different body than the normal Human form as it appears to be able to do things which normal human forms are not seen to be capable of doing.

But overall, there is nothing about the story of the resurrection [The Subject] which can be pointed to as factual [rather than hearsay] and thus, to believe in said story - one has to do so on faith.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #61

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The Tanager wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:14 pm
Avoice wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:03 amHas anyone bothered to compare the resurrection details in the gospels.
Yes, everyone should compare them. Let’s assume there are some contradictions in the accounts. That still doesn’t change anything about the argument that I gave for the historicity of the Resurrection.
The resurrection will only ever have 'historicity' as tales told by folks we can't cross examine, to see if such claims are literal truth.

The Tanager wrote: The original still has Mark 16:4-6, “And looking up, they saw that the stone had been rolled back—it was very large. And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe, and they were alarmed. And he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him.”
We have no means of confirming the veracity of this account.
The Tanager wrote: Plus, most scholars agree that the tradition quoted by Paul in 1 Cor 15 is possibly older than the pre-Markan passion narrative used by the author of Mark.
Belief, no matter how well one is trained, or has studied, does not constitute fact. Nor does it matter how many folks believe.

At one time a great many learned and otherwise intelligent folks thought the world was flat. Many still do, to this day. It ain't.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

The Tanager
Savant

Post #62

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pmYour misunderstanding of my position is noted. I know well enough that you have been informed by me that I do not believe in those things you mentioned. I simply understand them as being information drawn from many "branches" of the information "tree" which altogether point to the likelihood of what the overall tree must look like as well as the ground the tree is growing from.
Semantics. Fine, you don't like the word "belief". Fine, you hold views on what is true about reality. You base those views on the data you talk about. You don't just share data. You have views of what are true observations based on the data. Those views, that you continually share here, are not 100% certain and, therefore, faith-based by your use of that term.
William wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pmThat being the case, I do not see how it is my responsibility to inform you of those things you left out, as I don't see how it matters in relation to your Christian faith.
As for how it matters, I'm after truth. If those explanations are better explanations than the theories I've assessed, then I want to know what they are and why they are better. I didn't say it was your responsibility to provide them. I thought you were wanting to help me challenge my beliefs. It's fine if you don't. But, you seem to be aware of other explanations, so I asked to hear them.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #63

Post by The Tanager »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmThe resurrection will only ever have 'historicity' as tales told by folks we can't cross examine, to see if such claims are literal truth.

Yes, we have reasonableness rather than certainty. I’m okay with that.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmWe have no means of confirming the veracity of this account.

We do have means of reasonably confirming the veracity of Jesus’ resurrection (which the account claims happened), in the way I laid out. If certainty is your standard, then you must doubt all of science, history, literature, etc.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmBelief, no matter how well one is trained, or has studied, does not constitute fact. Nor does it matter how many folks believe.

I didn’t say belief constituted fact. Nor did I mean to imply that it mattered how many people believed something. I realize some may miss the context of my statement, that context being this thread where I had already talked about the early nature of the tradition Paul shares in 1 Cor 15.

William
Savant

Post #64

Post by William »

[Replying to The Tanager in post #63]
William wrote:I do not see how it is my responsibility to inform you of those things you left out, as I don't see how it matters in relation to your Christian faith.
As for how it matters, I'm after truth. If those explanations are better explanations than the theories I've assessed, then I want to know what they are and why they are better. I didn't say it was your responsibility to provide them. I thought you were wanting to help me challenge my beliefs. It's fine if you don't. But, you seem to be aware of other explanations, so I asked to hear them.
As I see it, if you want to believe that the resurrection is fact, as it pertains to your Christianity, I have no problem, as long as you are agreeing that it is still a faith-based belief and you not trying to convince me that it isn't.

I feel no moral obligation to inform you of what you miss because as I have said about such beliefs [formed through incomplete knowledge], I don't see how those believing in them would come to any harm.

As to you wanting the truth, the best I can say re that is not to assume you have it already, because that will motivate you to look for truth yourself, which - all said and done - is all we each can currently do, within our present circumstance.

Re challenging anyone's belief, if what information I do offer has this effect, so be it.
As I have said most recently, the reason I am an active member of this Message Board is not for the purpose of convincing anyone of anything.
I also think it is fair to say that on a Christian-based forum, I could expect Christians to be the ones trying to convince me that their beliefs are true. However, I do not nave such expectations.

I am content with the fact that there are non-negotiable faith-based beliefs, as long as those who hold them do not make noises which imply that their beliefs are based on facts.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #65

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to William in post #65]

I think "more likely given the overall evidence to date" is a subset of "faith-based beliefs” as you have defined that term in this thread. That is, views seen as more likely given the overall evidence to date are not 100% certain. Do you agree? Or do I still misunderstand your terms?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:44 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmThe resurrection will only ever have 'historicity' as tales told by folks we can't cross examine, to see if such claims are literal truth.
Yes, we have reasonableness rather than certainty. I’m okay with that.
That one finds it reasonable to believe dead folks hop up and stroll about fills me with the certainty they're engaging in errant thinking.
The Tanager wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmWe have no means of confirming the veracity of this account.
We do have means of reasonably confirming the veracity of Jesus’ resurrection (which the account claims happened), in the way I laid out. If certainty is your standard, then you must doubt all of science, history, literature, etc.
As above, where you profess a "reasonable" belief in magic, I profess a certainty that such beliefs are borne of errant thinking.

What's more reasonable, to go with the medical experts on resurrections, or to go with history experts?

Who'd ya want researching vaccines? Someone with a doctorate in virology, or someone with a doctorate in historical studies?
The Tanager wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:51 pmBelief, no matter how well one is trained, or has studied, does not constitute fact. Nor does it matter how many folks believe.
I didn’t say belief constituted fact. Nor did I mean to imply that it mattered how many people believed something. I realize some may miss the context of my statement, that context being this thread where I had already talked about the early nature of the tradition Paul shares in 1 Cor 15.
That bit was more for the observer's edification. I figure you for plenty smart to not fall into that trap.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #67

Post by Goat »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:25 pm
William wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:48 am Why this thread was created was because some Christians claim that they believe in the story of the resurrection because of facts, rather than because of faith.
The thread is not about critiquing those who believe in the story through faith, as the OP acknowledges that it is a faith-based belief.

Rather, the thread is an opportunity for those who claim that the resurrection is factual, to table their evidence in order that the evidence can be critiqued.
That’s fine, but to do that you need a coherent standard of what it means to believe something “because of facts.” “Not hearsay” is clearly not it.
One criteria is 'is the event being described physically possible'. Can a man physically walk on water (not ice)

Can a man physically be dead for 3 days?

Can a man physically turn water into wine without trickery or using brewery methods
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #68

Post by Goat »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 pm
William wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pmI think that you should just follow those steps and show us your results. That will at least provide us with an example of what it is you are proposing re those steps.

Are these 'hypothesis' [re: 1.] to do with whether belief in the resurrection is faith or fact based? If so, then give your reasons.

Okay, I can do that. From my best attempt at understanding how you mean those terms, yes, I think this concerns whether the resurrection is faith or fact-based. So, step 1 was laid out. Onto step 2: what are the facts that need to be explained? I think there are three facts to be explained:

a. The tomb was found empty by a group of women followers
b. The post-mortem appearances of Jesus to various people
c. The origin of the Christian faith

2a. The tomb was found empty by a group of women followers
There is the claim the tomb was found empty. However, how do you know that claim is true? How do you know it's not the repeating of a story ?

There is the claim for the post-mortem appearance of Jesus to various people. There also is the claim of the post-mortem appearance of Elvis. We do not have any first hand accounts of someone who saw Jesus after he was allegedly executed. So far, no one has given any kind of substancial reason that is objective evidence to show that the writings are more than a story.

First, the reliability of Jesus’ burial supports this. If the burial is accurate, then the location of Jesus’ tomb would have been known to Jew (Jesus was entombed by a member of the Jewish Sanhedrin) and Christian (the women would have followed the burial party to perform their duties). If his burial site was known, then it must have been empty when the disciples began to preach Jesus’ resurrection because neither the disciples nor the possible converts would have believed the Gospel if the corpse was still there. Or, even if some believed, the Jewish authorities would have easily exposed it as a hoax by showing the body in the tomb.
What you have not done is show that the story of the burial of Jesus is reliable.
Jesus’ burial in the tomb is multiply attested in early and independent sources: the pre-Markan passion story within Mark (which the German scholar Pesch dates to within 7 years of the cruxificion), the tradition quoted by Paul in 1 Cor 15, which many scholars date to within 5 years. Later independent sources (“Q,” John, Acts) and it is unlikely that Christians would have invented Joseph of Arimathea as the one who buried Jesus.
Well, you have a theologian making the claim. Can you show that Paul was telling the truth? How do you know?

The whole 'Joseph of arimathea idea does not match the Jewish tradition of the time period . The story does not ring true to me.

Second, the discovery of Jesus’ empty tomb is also multiply attested in early and independent sources. The pre-Markan passion source, the tradition in 1 Cor 15, Acts, Matthew, Luke, John.

Third, Mark says Jesus’ resurrection was on “the first day of the week,” If this was a late developing legend, Mark would have most likely used “on the third day” as that had become the widely prominent way to refer to it by then. The phrase itself apparently is awkward in Greek, yet naturally idiomatic if translated back into Aramaic.
There is a great deal of similarity among the resurrection accounts that indicate either copying either other, or copying an earlier source. That includes the order in which things are described, which indicates they are not independent sources.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

William
Savant

Post #69

Post by William »

The Tanager wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:41 pm [Replying to William in post #65]

I think "more likely given the overall evidence to date" is a subset of "faith-based beliefs” as you have defined that term in this thread. That is, views seen as more likely given the overall evidence to date are not 100% certain. Do you agree? Or do I still misunderstand your terms?
I think what is happening is that you are conflating the Agnostic position with the Christian position re faith.
I go along with the general dictionary definition of faith - and this, in relation with the general Christian definition of faith, appears to be the same.

When it comes to "evidence to date", it is not a matter of being subset of that definition of faith. It may be, in relation to the Christian position, but not to the Agnostic position.

So if you are really arguing your that Christian position is Agnostic, in that you view the "evidence to date" re the resurrection as something to take into consideration, but not something to believe in as the truth, then our positions are the same in regard to faith.

If you are really arguing that we hold the same position, then it is not a matter of faith.

This is because, if you think of the resurrection "more likely given the overall evidence to date, but without the accompanying faith of the general Christian individual." then you hold the position of Agnostic on the subject.

Which position do you think is more aligned with yours? Agnostic-based Christian, or Faith-based Christian?

RJG
Apprentice

Post #70

Post by RJG »

I am of the opinion the resurrection tale is a matter of faith not fact, people who are dead don't come back to life again.