Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?

From a discussion in another thread;

[Replying to Realworldjack in post #222]
Let us recall that it was you who stated,
that the stories of the empty tomb where anything other than given as hearsay and expected to be received in faith.
This is what I stated;

"What has been reported from the different sources do not altogether align - and one thing which does come across is that folk did not seem to recognize that the person claiming to have resurrected was the same person they had followed for all those months. I am happy to examine what you table as explanation for this phenomena."

I also stated;
I am not arguing that the stories themselves were or were not penned as true accounts of actual events by the very one(s) who experienced these things they claim to have experienced.
My argument is that we can only take their stories as hearsay, because we did not witness those events. What we each DO with the hearsay depends upon our faith in the stories being true, our faith that the stories being false, or in our lack of faith due to the nature of the evidence.

Are you saying, NONE of it aligns?
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Because you see, we have those who complain that much of the information is so closely the "aligned", they want to insist that there must, and had to be copying going on between the authors.
Apparently there are biblical scholars who accept that in those cases, copying may have occurred.
So then, exactly what would we expect? If they all report the same exact events, in the same exact way, I think we would have complaints that something would not be right here.
Yes - that it was unnecessary to have four exact copies of the same data.
If they report completely different, and contradictory information, then we would complain that something is not quite right.
Yes.
However, it seems to me we have exactly what we would expect.
Which still wouldn't do away with the idea that the stories were concocted by the priesthood...such would be intelligent enough to realize that to sell the story there needs to be more than one version, especially since there are no coinciding stories circulating outside of the religion.
For example - some believe that [historical] Jesus had scribes, but there is no evidence that anyone was recording his words and nothing of the sort has been found so far.
In other words, we have some events describe in almost the same way, while we have others who record events the others may leave out, and we have some who report the same events with differences in the story. So??????? What exactly would are you looking for?
I am looking for evidence to the claim that Jesus died. [and was thus resurrected.]
Would you want them to record the same exact stories, in the same exact way? Would you want them to tell completely different stories which would contradict each other? I mean, exactly what would you accept?
Based upon the stories regarding Jesus, I would expect that Jesus didn't really die.
First, your wording is sort of strange here? You seem to be saying, they did not recognize him as the same person as they had followed, as if they recognized him as someone else? However, this is not the way it is recorded. In Luke 24 we read,
"While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing Him".
So here we see, it is not as though they recognize him as someone else, but rather, they simply were, "kept from recognizing him". However, as we move on a few verses later we read,
"And then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him".

Firstly they must have seen him as 'someone else' for them to recognize that 'someone else' had entered into their company.
But what we do not know [and thus cannot assume] is what the writer meant in the use of the words.
Does it mean that their minds were being played with in some unknown manner or does it mean that it was something else about the stranger suddenly in their company which lead them to conclude they were in the presence of someone who was so just like the Jesus they knew, that it must have been him, or was Jesus' body was capable of 'shape-shifting' [changing it's appearance.]

However, in relation to the story of the stranger in the company, we see that the story unfolds over the course of a whole day, with the stranger telling them all sorts of things so that the dots connected [starting out by calling them 'fools' for not being able to do this for themselves] and by the end of the day, we are informed that they had no choice but to accept the evidence that the stranger [who they did not recognize as Jesus because it was a different body] was the same person that they had followed all those previous months.

As soon as they came to that conclusion, the stranger then vanished. [became invisible to them/appeared to no longer be in their company.]
Okay, as we turn our attention to the incident with Mary Magdalene, what we see as recorded in John 20, is (Mary) "Thinking that He was the gardener". Notice, it does not say, "recognizing him as the gardener".
Why would Mary know what the gardener looked like? Clearly she assumes a stranger there with the two other strangers is the caretaker and clearly she is confused and distressed.
But most importantly, she does not recognize the stranger until he calls her by her name...so it must have been how the stranger had done this which convinced Mary that it was Jesus.
Well, the only other incident I know of would be at daybreak, with the disciples in a boat off shore, and see Jesus on shore, as they have been fishing through the night with no catch. Jesus instructs them where to cast the net, and of course they have a net so full, it is difficult to pull the net in, and it is at this point, one of the disciples, does not "recognize" (as if he can actually see him) this as Jesus, but simply says, "It is the Lord"! Once they were all on shore, as it is recorded, they all seem to recognize this person as Jesus.

These are the only events such as this I am aware of. The above would not be my "explanation for this phenomena" because I have no explanation. Rather, this is the way it is recorded.
So we have hearsay [the stories] and within that, we have incidences which align and form an image of someone who has a distinctly different body than the normal Human form as it appears to be able to do things which normal human forms are not seen to be capable of doing.

But overall, there is nothing about the story of the resurrection [The Subject] which can be pointed to as factual [rather than hearsay] and thus, to believe in said story - one has to do so on faith.

Noose001
Apprentice

Re: Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #621

Post by Noose001 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 am We seem to have strayed way off the topic here, and are talking about Time in relation to reality. I'm sure I've heard the idea that time only has existence if there is the movement of matter/energy to measure, but what is the intent to show in respect of religious claims never mind the resurrection, specifically? Then at least we'd understand the relevance of all this.
Not really.

The first part (faith) is a consensus.
The second part is tricky. If one is able to show that there's another 'reality' other the 'physical reality' or simply show that 'physical reality' is actually not real, and there's an underlying rrality, then life after death is much more than possible.

brunumb
Savant

Post #622

Post by brunumb »

Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:35 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:13 pm
That pretty much fits with the imaginary as well. It can't be seen but can be regarded as something spiritual and its actual existence in reality relies on belief, aka faith.
True, faith applies to things that aren't observable but like i said, it is also a fact because we can reason out life after death; it makes more sense.

I'd given you a scenario (death in a restaurant).
The seat, the table, the cup will disappear. You'll to reach out your hand but it wont be there, you'll try to stand but your legs will be gone. You try to call people around you but your faclties of speech aren't there. Just darkness and silence.

This exactly what happens when time stops. So we do create reality by perceiving time.
No, we can't reason out life after death. We don't know that it is even possible for time to stop so we are in no position to say exactly what would happen in such a situation. Your fanciful scenario is just unsupported speculation. That which can be claimed without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #623

Post by brunumb »

Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:41 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 pm
Please demonstrate that time can be stopped or that if time could be stopped then everything would disappear. Failing that all we have is unsupported speculation bordering on woo.
E = mc^2

c is time dependent, if T=0 then c=0 hence E=0. Zero E means m=0 and so nothing.

I never said time can be stopped but you cannot stop me from imagining 'time stop' and why not, if it started then it can stop.
So we are just dealing with your imaginings are we? Anything may be imagined. I imagine that you are completely wrong in your claims.

What exactly is T=0? If E=0 and c=0 then isn't the equation still valid for any value of m?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #624

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:06 am We seem to have strayed way off the topic here, and are talking about Time in relation to reality. I'm sure I've heard the idea that time only has existence if there is the movement of matter/energy to measure, but what is the intent to show in respect of religious claims never mind the resurrection, specifically? Then at least we'd understand the relevance of all this.
Not really.

The first part (faith) is a consensus.
The second part is tricky. If one is able to show that there's another 'reality' other the 'physical reality' or simply show that 'physical reality' is actually not real, and there's an underlying rrality, then life after death is much more than possible.
No. Faith is an irrational, invalid and unjustified belief by definition, or the one I use which is a belief held without adequate evidence or reason.

Even if there is another 'reality' underlying Our Reality (which I think is real, even if human perception is semi -subjective (1), there is no reason that I can see to suppose that it makes the life after death claim any more than a wishful supposition. It seems to me to be no more than 'if we can make some kind of Woo -ish supernatural claim look plausible, then another supernatural claim (not so Woo) will look more plausible".

Sorry, that one doesn't float.

(1) it records real things, even if the way we perceive them is a subjective representation created by the mind.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #625

Post by Noose001 »

brunumb wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:10 am

No, we can't reason out life after death. We don't know that it is even possible for time to stop so we are in no position to say exactly what would happen in such a situation. Your fanciful scenario is just unsupported speculation. That which can be claimed without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.
If time started, then it's stoppage is not far fetched.

And if there's an underlying reality beyond what we can observe, the life after death is much more possible.

Dismiss you can; it is the same reason i'm dismissing you position.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #626

Post by Noose001 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 am
No. Faith is an irrational, invalid and unjustified belief by definition, or the one I use which is a belief held without adequate evidence or reason.
Or, it is rational, valid and justified belief.
For instance, hope is faith based yet hope can be justified, rational and valid.
Even if there is another 'reality' underlying Our Reality (which I think is real, even if human perception is semi -subjective (1), there is no reason that I can see to suppose that it makes the life after death claim any more than a wishful supposition. It seems to me to be no more than 'if we can make some kind of Woo -ish supernatural claim look plausible, then another supernatural claim (not so Woo) will look more plausible".
And i'm here to dispute what you are calling reality. Whatever you call real is not.

Why should my house disppear when time stops? Show me that time is real.
To me, the underlying reality is the only real thing.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #627

Post by Noose001 »

brunumb wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:16 am

What exactly is T=0?
Timelessness
If E=0 and c=0 then isn't the equation still valid for any value of m?
That's exactly my point, in the absence of time, nothing exists. And if you want to talk about reality, you first need to demonstrate how real time is.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #628

Post by Difflugia »

Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 amC is a real constant
Yes. It's a constant. It's independent of time.
Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 am299792458 m/s imagine s=0 here.
That's exactly what differential calculus is for.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #629

Post by Noose001 »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:16 am
Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 amC is a real constant
Yes. It's a constant. It's independent of time.
Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:38 am299792458 m/s imagine s=0 here.
That's exactly what differential calculus is for.
Wrong. Constants are not imagined.

A photon is its properties. If you reach those kinds of speed(cover 299792458m in 1 sec) you become photon. A time stop would mean you can not have those properties, thus zero energy or zero mass and therefore nothing.

brunumb
Savant

Post #630

Post by brunumb »

Noose001 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:38 am If time started, then it's stoppage is not far fetched.
IF! You have no case if time didn't start. All you have is fanciful speculation. We can trace the evolution of our universe almost back to what we refer to as t=0, but that is just the possible beginning of this iteration of space-time and not necessarily the beginning of time. We don't know exactly what existed or what happened in that infinitesimally small period of time that we can't reach back past.