Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?

From a discussion in another thread;

[Replying to Realworldjack in post #222]
Let us recall that it was you who stated,
that the stories of the empty tomb where anything other than given as hearsay and expected to be received in faith.
This is what I stated;

"What has been reported from the different sources do not altogether align - and one thing which does come across is that folk did not seem to recognize that the person claiming to have resurrected was the same person they had followed for all those months. I am happy to examine what you table as explanation for this phenomena."

I also stated;
I am not arguing that the stories themselves were or were not penned as true accounts of actual events by the very one(s) who experienced these things they claim to have experienced.
My argument is that we can only take their stories as hearsay, because we did not witness those events. What we each DO with the hearsay depends upon our faith in the stories being true, our faith that the stories being false, or in our lack of faith due to the nature of the evidence.

Are you saying, NONE of it aligns?
A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
Because you see, we have those who complain that much of the information is so closely the "aligned", they want to insist that there must, and had to be copying going on between the authors.
Apparently there are biblical scholars who accept that in those cases, copying may have occurred.
So then, exactly what would we expect? If they all report the same exact events, in the same exact way, I think we would have complaints that something would not be right here.
Yes - that it was unnecessary to have four exact copies of the same data.
If they report completely different, and contradictory information, then we would complain that something is not quite right.
Yes.
However, it seems to me we have exactly what we would expect.
Which still wouldn't do away with the idea that the stories were concocted by the priesthood...such would be intelligent enough to realize that to sell the story there needs to be more than one version, especially since there are no coinciding stories circulating outside of the religion.
For example - some believe that [historical] Jesus had scribes, but there is no evidence that anyone was recording his words and nothing of the sort has been found so far.
In other words, we have some events describe in almost the same way, while we have others who record events the others may leave out, and we have some who report the same events with differences in the story. So??????? What exactly would are you looking for?
I am looking for evidence to the claim that Jesus died. [and was thus resurrected.]
Would you want them to record the same exact stories, in the same exact way? Would you want them to tell completely different stories which would contradict each other? I mean, exactly what would you accept?
Based upon the stories regarding Jesus, I would expect that Jesus didn't really die.
First, your wording is sort of strange here? You seem to be saying, they did not recognize him as the same person as they had followed, as if they recognized him as someone else? However, this is not the way it is recorded. In Luke 24 we read,
"While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were kept from recognizing Him".
So here we see, it is not as though they recognize him as someone else, but rather, they simply were, "kept from recognizing him". However, as we move on a few verses later we read,
"And then their eyes were opened and they recognized Him".

Firstly they must have seen him as 'someone else' for them to recognize that 'someone else' had entered into their company.
But what we do not know [and thus cannot assume] is what the writer meant in the use of the words.
Does it mean that their minds were being played with in some unknown manner or does it mean that it was something else about the stranger suddenly in their company which lead them to conclude they were in the presence of someone who was so just like the Jesus they knew, that it must have been him, or was Jesus' body was capable of 'shape-shifting' [changing it's appearance.]

However, in relation to the story of the stranger in the company, we see that the story unfolds over the course of a whole day, with the stranger telling them all sorts of things so that the dots connected [starting out by calling them 'fools' for not being able to do this for themselves] and by the end of the day, we are informed that they had no choice but to accept the evidence that the stranger [who they did not recognize as Jesus because it was a different body] was the same person that they had followed all those previous months.

As soon as they came to that conclusion, the stranger then vanished. [became invisible to them/appeared to no longer be in their company.]
Okay, as we turn our attention to the incident with Mary Magdalene, what we see as recorded in John 20, is (Mary) "Thinking that He was the gardener". Notice, it does not say, "recognizing him as the gardener".
Why would Mary know what the gardener looked like? Clearly she assumes a stranger there with the two other strangers is the caretaker and clearly she is confused and distressed.
But most importantly, she does not recognize the stranger until he calls her by her name...so it must have been how the stranger had done this which convinced Mary that it was Jesus.
Well, the only other incident I know of would be at daybreak, with the disciples in a boat off shore, and see Jesus on shore, as they have been fishing through the night with no catch. Jesus instructs them where to cast the net, and of course they have a net so full, it is difficult to pull the net in, and it is at this point, one of the disciples, does not "recognize" (as if he can actually see him) this as Jesus, but simply says, "It is the Lord"! Once they were all on shore, as it is recorded, they all seem to recognize this person as Jesus.

These are the only events such as this I am aware of. The above would not be my "explanation for this phenomena" because I have no explanation. Rather, this is the way it is recorded.
So we have hearsay [the stories] and within that, we have incidences which align and form an image of someone who has a distinctly different body than the normal Human form as it appears to be able to do things which normal human forms are not seen to be capable of doing.

But overall, there is nothing about the story of the resurrection [The Subject] which can be pointed to as factual [rather than hearsay] and thus, to believe in said story - one has to do so on faith.

The Tanager
Savant

Re: Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based

Post #41

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 amMeanings:

Faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

Fact: A thing that is known or proved to be true which can be used as evidence because it is truth about events as opposed to interpretation about supposed [hearsay] events.

Do you agree with those definitions?
I'm not sure. You need to now define "spiritual conviction" or, at the least, what you mean by "proof." Do you mean 100% certainty, like in mathematical proofs? Can any historical claim be considered "proof" in your usage? In other words, is all of history "faith-based" to you?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #1]
But overall, there is nothing about the story of the resurrection [The Subject] which can be pointed to as factual [rather than hearsay] and thus, to believe in said story - one has to do so on faith.
Most, if not all, of Christianity is faith based. It is a belief, after all.
Those saying it's factual are, IMO, hopelessly lost in the need to believe. And I'm OK with that as long as they are.
Believe what you want and keep it to yourself unless requested.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #43

Post by William »

[Replying to The Tanager in post #42]
The Tanager wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:05 pm
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 amMeanings:

Faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

Fact: A thing that is known or proved to be true which can be used as evidence because it is truth about events as opposed to interpretation about supposed [hearsay] events.

I'm not sure. You need to now define "spiritual conviction"
spiritual conviction Convinced that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence.

or, at the least, what you mean by "proof." Do you mean 100% certainty, like in mathematical proofs?

Yes. Is belief in the resurrections based upon fact.

Can any historical claim be considered "proof" in your usage? In other words, is all of history "faith-based" to you?
Do I believe in all of history as fact? No.

Anything to do with history which is fact [scientifically/mathematically] verified as fact, and which I can know to be true, is not something I consider necessary to believe in.
So, for the purpose of the OPQ, I recognize that many Christians conflate Belief with Knowing, so the OP question is framed according to that fact.

The history [as told by humans in the past] is not something I think of as relevant to having to either believe in, or not. Mostly I take it all with a grain of salt. I am Agnostic in regard to such history-telling.

Essentially Humans come from a starting position and build upon that.

(For example, the first heavier-than-air invention, to the invention of space craft - done in a small timeframe.)

During the process from a starting position, Humans elaborate and romanticize fictions from out of the facts in order to present them as fictions which appear to be facts. Mostly this appears to have something to do with making the fact appear more appealing than they actually are.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #44

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pmspiritual conviction Convinced that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence.

So, you define faith as strong belief in the doctrines of a religion based on a conviction that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence? I disagree with that definition, then. That definition says “I believe X because I have a strong belief that X is true.” That is just restating that one holds a belief, not providing a basis for why they hold that belief.

I figured you meant “faith” more in the sense of “I assume X is true because I want it to be.” That, to me, contrasts with having a reason or facts behind one’s views.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm
or, at the least, what you mean by "proof." Do you mean 100% certainty, like in mathematical proofs?

No, belief in the Resurrection is not 100% certain. No historical claim or scientific claim is 100% certain, either. So, if this is your standard, then most views you hold aren’t 100% certain. Your mathematical views can be, definitions of words can be, but not much else. There is very little "knowledge" in the world, even for you.

William
Savant

Post #45

Post by William »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:59 pm
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pmspiritual conviction Convinced that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence.

So, you define faith as strong belief in the doctrines of a religion based on a conviction that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence?
No.
I disagree with that definition, then. That definition says “I believe X because I have a strong belief that X is true.” That is just restating that one holds a belief, not providing a basis for why they hold that belief.
I define faith based upon spiritual conviction, if that is the base foundation from which the believer is positioned.

In relation to the OP topic, I define that which is based upon the story of the resurrection - [and coincidently has its own basis in that "immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence"] - to being faith -based, rather than fact based.
I figured you meant “faith” more in the sense of “I assume X is true because I want it to be.”
The OP is not focused upon the idea that faith "assumes X is true because people who believe it through faith, "want it to be"". The OP is not concerned as to why different folk might have faith in the story, or what type of faith they have in the story.

The OP is only concerned with finding the answer to the OP. Q: "Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?"

"Types of faith" are a type of diversion tactic and unnecessary for that.

That, to me, contrasts with having a reason or facts behind one’s views.
Therefore are you implying that your particular belief is not faith-based? Or that it is a different variety of faith than the "I want it to be" faith?

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm

No, belief in the Resurrection is not 100% certain. No historical claim or scientific claim is 100% certain, either. So, if this is your standard, then most views you hold aren’t 100% certain. Your mathematical views can be, definitions of words can be, but not much else. There is very little "knowledge" in the world, even for you.

Q: Then is your answer to the OPQ;

" Belief in The Resurrection is based on faith."

The Tanager
Savant

Post #46

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pm
So, you define faith as strong belief in the doctrines of a religion based on a conviction that immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence?

No.

Well, all I did was plug your definition for “spiritual conviction” into your previous definition of faith.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmIn relation to the OP topic, I define that which is based upon the story of the resurrection - [and coincidently has its own basis in that "immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence"] - to being faith -based, rather than fact based.

Well, if you are going to define the Resurrection as faith-based from the get go, then you are simply begging the question you’ve asked. You say you are concerned with finding the answer to the following question:
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmThe OP is only concerned with finding the answer to the OP. Q: "Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?"

But you just said you define the Resurrection as faith-based.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmTherefore are you implying that your particular belief is not faith-based? Or that it is a different variety of faith than the "I want it to be" faith?

How I would understand “faith-based vs. fact-based,” as a useful phrase, I consider my belief in the Resurrection to be fact-based. If faith-based means the belief includes immaterial beings, then, yes, obviously, my belief is faith-based.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmQ: Then is your answer to the OPQ;

Yes, if “based on faith” means not 100% certain, then my belief in the Resurrection is based on faith. My question then would be “so what?”

William
Savant

Post #47

Post by William »

The Tanager wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:26 pm
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pm

No.

Well, all I did was plug your definition for “spiritual conviction” into your previous definition of faith.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmIn relation to the OP topic, I define that which is based upon the story of the resurrection - [and coincidently has its own basis in that "immaterial beings exist and can be interacted with and thus influence"] - to being faith -based, rather than fact based.
Well, if you are going to define the Resurrection as faith-based from the get go, then you are simply begging the question you’ve asked. You say you are concerned with finding the answer to the following question:
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmThe OP is only concerned with finding the answer to the OP. Q: "Is belief in The Resurrection based on fact or based on faith?"

But you just said you define the Resurrection as faith-based.
I also have made no secret that my position is that it should be defined that way. The OP made it clear that I had encountered Christians who implied it was a fact-based belief, so the thread was created to give Christians who think so, the opportunity to show the evidence, that I have the opportunity to critique said support and change my mind, if the evidence proves to be fact-based.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmTherefore are you implying that your particular belief is not faith-based? Or that it is a different variety of faith than the "I want it to be" faith?
How I would understand “faith-based vs. fact-based,” as a useful phrase, I consider my belief in the Resurrection to be fact-based.
Okay.
If faith-based means the belief includes immaterial beings, then, yes, obviously, my belief is faith-based.
Sounds reasonable. However, is this a stand apart [from immaterial beings] fact-based belief, or does it include immaterial beings?

Or;

We can play the word game another way, [preparing the ground for the BIG reveal] by taking out the example I connected with the definition of faith;

Meanings:

Faith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 pmQ: Then is your answer to the OPQ;

Yes, if “based on faith” means not 100% certain, then my belief in the Resurrection is based on faith.
Okay. Well I can go with that if you are sure.
My question then would be “so what?”
So what? Well my return question to you would be;

"Why did you bring it up as somehow relevant to your argument against position [3]?"

I quote You:

First, I'm not claiming I 'know' my view is true. I believe it is true. I ultimately believe it is true because of the soundness of the historicity of the Resurrection.

Would you agree with me that your bringing that into the argument is a 'so what' moment which had no impact re your argument against position [3]? [LINK - The Three Biblical Interpretations About Afterlife]

William
Savant

Post #48

Post by William »

And if so, then the stalemate points to belief in the resurrection being faith-based rather than fact based.
I don't think so! If my belief would be based upon faith, then there would be no facts involved at all. However, there would be a number of facts involved in the belief I maintain. The first fact of course, would be the fact, that we have multiple, disconnected testimonies, (unless of course you would like to demonstrate how they would have been connected) of a resurrection. Moreover, we have the letters of Paul, who we know would have been alive during the life of Jesus. We also know that Paul mentions having been in contact with the Apostles, who would have been followers of Jesus during his life. We also have very strong evidence in support, of the author of the letters to Theophilus, being a traveling companion of Paul, which would mean this author would have been alive at the time of the events recorded. Therefore, with the facts we have considered thus far, we can have confidence, that the majority of what has been contained in the NT, would have been authored by those who would have been alive at the time of the events recorded.

These are just a few of the facts, my belief is based upon. Those opposed cannot in any way demonstrate my belief would be unfounded. There must, and has to be some sort of explanation for the facts, and evidence we have, and yet those opposed cannot offer any sort of explanation of the facts, and evidence we have, which would not be an extraordinary tale. Rather, all they seem to have to offer is their doubt, and then seem to want to go on to insist that I share in this doubt.
Those things mentioned above as facts, can be considered variables.
Unfortunately they cannot be accepted as things which actually happened until all other reasonable explanations for why they might not be facts, are examined and shown to not be the case.

Since realistically this cannot be done, the belief in the resurrection has to be considered a faith-based belief.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Is belief in the Resurrection faith based, or fact based?

Here we gotta fret on what it is to mean "faith".

All we know, or think we know, is based on the faith that our perceptions are valid, accurately percepted, and accurately thunk on. That's a tough row to hoe in terms of fact finding, or truth finding, even more so in debate.

While I can declare that two plus two will always equal four, can I really say that condition applies to all times and conditions?

2 apples plus 2 oranges doesn't equal 4 apples. Doesn't equal 4 oranges. But it does equal 4 deliciouses.

So then, what of resurrections?

There's a good body of really great arguments that declare dead folks are really good at being it. They're so good at it, we bury em in boxes, burn em on pyres, and for some cultures, eat em with some fava beans and a nice chianti

What faith then have I applied to my belief that dead folks remain dead?

Well, in my life I've yet to encounter a zombie. Now, we gotta ask, is that cause there ain't no zombies, or I ain't got me no brain. In asking that question, we're still left to faith either way we answer.

So how can I determine the likelihood of my faith in no resurrections being more reliable than one's faith in there being resurrections?

I look to the book/s making the claims either way, then I hafta consider the plausibility and such regarding the two opposing conclusions. In the no resurrections books, we have such medical professionals who've studied extensively, and ain't found em the first dead guy who sued for malpractice. It just doesn't happen with the dead folks expecting em a day in court.

In the resurrection camp, we have a bunch of folks from two thousand years ago declaring all manner of stuff that I, in my fallible percepting, goes against what I perceive to be reality. Not just dead folks rising, but such claims as walking on water, and bushes talking, and some dude going up a mountain for a time and lo and behold, he comes down with three tablets full of God's laws, only don't it beat all, I've never, in all my faulty percepting, ever percepted me a god. I have, however, produced my own carvings out of wood, and can reasonably infer it wouldn't be too different to have carved a rock.

So we're all of us relying on faith in our perceptions.

It's just how goofy are some of those conclusions regarding those perceptions that I try to sort out which are the perceptings of a failed mind, and which ain't. Having a faulty mind myself (paranoid schizophrenia coupled with some severe social disorders, and living in close proximity to a woman who I'll swear in court is out of her ever-loving mind), I can't much help folks on none of it, but to express how come it is, we've got us all these cemeteries, and not the first zombie stripper.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

The Tanager
Savant

Post #50

Post by The Tanager »

William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pm
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pmI also have made no secret that my position is that it should be defined that way. The OP made it clear that I had encountered Christians who implied it was a fact-based belief, so the thread was created to give Christians who think so, the opportunity to show the evidence, that I have the opportunity to critique said support and change my mind, if the evidence proves to be fact-based.

Then, from my case that it is fact-based (as I understand that term), what is your response? I think this question could be taken in two different senses and I’m interested in either (or both). First, would be the question of whether I seem to understand ‘fact-based’ as you do. Or, in other words, if the various things I said (or, at least, enough of them) were true, would the Resurrection truly be fact-based or would it still be faith-based? Second, are enough of the things I say true so that the Resurrection truly is fact-based rather than just claiming to be so without enough support?
If faith-based means the belief includes immaterial beings, then, yes, obviously, my belief is faith-based.

Sounds reasonable. However, is this a stand apart [from immaterial beings] fact-based belief, or does it include immaterial beings?

Or;

We can play the word game another way, [preparing the ground for the BIG reveal] by taking out the example I connected with the definition of faith;

I don’t understand what you are saying here. I think one could say Jesus resurrected without making a claim about whether it was due to some natural being or some immaterial being but I think it more likely that an immaterial being would be included.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pmFaith: complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

First, if those are the definitions, then I don’t see these two terms as necessarily contradictory. I could have complete trust in something because it is fact-based. Second, if this is the definition of “fact,” where you’ve talked about needing 100% certainty, then it eliminates any literary, historical, and scientific claim from being facts. I’m fine with using a different term for historical and scientific claims, though.
William wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:15 pmSo what? Well my return question to you would be;

"Why did you bring it up as somehow relevant to your argument against position [3]?"

I quote You:
First, I'm not claiming I 'know' my view is true. I believe it is true. I ultimately believe it is true because of the soundness of the historicity of the Resurrection.
Would you agree with me that your bringing that into the argument is a 'so what' moment which had no impact re your argument against position [3]?
Because I don’t think 100% certainty is a worthy standard to hold our views to, unless we are talking about definitions of words, mathematics, and maybe a few other things. The important views, where people really disagree, aren’t 100% certain either way because they involve science, history, literature, philosophy, everything else. Since your claims regarding [3] reach into these things, I think my claim was relevant.