A simulation

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

A simulation

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Surely, many of you have heard the idea being batted around for years that we're living in a simulation.
Basically, almost like a highly advanced computer game, much like The Matrix and various other shows and movies, where there's a supreme power (or powers) that program our us with the ability to live within a certain set of rules and regulations.
Sometimes, the 'matrix' or simulation, of this life gets disrupted and we can see it, feel it, hear it, etc.

What do you think about that concept, in its various renderings?

Can't one amend the belief in God (through whatever belief system you wish to use) to meet this idea of a 'matrix'?

How does that change your view on God and religion (or does it)?

Below is one of many reads on the topic, if interested.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/02/15-irre ... ation.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: A simulation

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:46 pm Surely, many of you have heard the idea being batted around for years that we're living in a simulation.
Basically, almost like a highly advanced computer game, much like The Matrix and various other shows and movies, where there's a supreme power (or powers) that program our us with the ability to live within a certain set of rules and regulations.
Sometimes, the 'matrix' or simulation, of this life gets disrupted and we can see it, feel it, hear it, etc.

Just one of those "What ifs" that can pop to mind because it has so many contemporary similarities.
Can't one amend the belief in God (through whatever belief system you wish to use) to meet this idea of a 'matrix'?
Of course. If one is bent on believing a god exists all kinds of characteristics can be imagined for it.
Not one iota. ;)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: A simulation

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:18 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:46 pm Surely, many of you have heard the idea being batted around for years that we're living in a simulation.

Just one of those "What ifs" that can pop to mind because it has so many contemporary similarities.
Of course. If one is bent on believing a god exists all kinds of characteristics can be imagined for it.
Not one iota. ;)

This sort of argument or apologetic (Brain in a vat, solipsistic universe or an alien computer - game or 'the Matrix') is a bit of a favourite, but I have come to wonder what it's suppose to prove or even argue. The worls and universe (so far as we know) works according to the rules of physics and they work even if our 'reality' is a computer -game or 'Matrix' or even in a brain in a Vat.

The point seems to me to be intended to unsettle our Certainties about Reality and make us 'doubt everything we thought we knew' so that some god - claim can be sold to us. I'm not buying.

I don't buy the solipsistic universe, either. I can't believe that my brain is so great that it contains everything there is, nor can I explain that, i it's all in my head, it keeps throwing me curve - balls.