Does God have free will?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Leox

Does God have free will?

Post #1

Post by Leox »

First of all, God is all-knowing. That means he knows everything including his own choices regardless of time.
If God has free will. He can choose to go against his knowledge of his own future actions. But then he is not all-knowing because he can't predict his own actions.
For example, God knew Adam will eat the fruit. But he decided to make Adam anyway. Thus God wasn't really punishing Adam out of God's own liking. But it was rather part of the script.

I guess this is a more philosophical problem but I want to know how it is handled in the setting of religion.

Miles
Savant

Re: Does God have free will?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Nothing, be it a human, a sea slug, or a god has free will.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

Leox wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 am First of all, God is all-knowing. That means he knows everything including his own choices regardless of time.
If God has free will. He can choose to go against his knowledge of his own future actions. But then he is not all-knowing because he can't predict his own actions.
For example, God knew Adam will eat the fruit. But he decided to make Adam anyway. Thus God wasn't really punishing Adam out of God's own liking. But it was rather part of the script.

I guess this is a more philosophical problem but I want to know how it is handled in the setting of religion.
First, I think you have to define 'free will' as, in here specifically, I've seen different views on it. There seems to be 'free will' in which you can do anything without limitations, and 'free will' where there are limitations.
In Christianity, as well, there seems to be varying definitions of 'all knowing'. It seems some think God knows everything (which would include future happenings and possibilities) and all knowing 'except for what he doesn't want to know' (which is, honestly, ridiculous and not adhering to the definition IMO).
The 'fun' thing about Christianity, is that it's so malleable, and undefined, that it can be twisted to mean almost anything you want.
That said, it's possible, according to many Christians, that YES God has free will and NO he doesn't.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Leox wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:12 am First of all, God is all-knowing. That means he knows everything including his own choices regardless of time.

Biblically God is not subject to his powers, they are subject to him. Time is effectively irrelevant to a God that exists outside of it and since the God of the bible is omnipotent he can change the future at will, should he decide to do so. And that from any "moment" in what we perceive as time.

JW
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

FREE WILL, OMNISCIENCE and ...SELECTIVE FOREKNOWLEDGE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:24 am
First, I think you have to define 'free will' ...
I would agree. Although, in my experience few participating in threads on this topic ever do even when asked directly to do so.

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 am .

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

If God has free will. He can choose to go against his knowledge of his own future actions....
Then He would already know that He will do so. I believe God has free will, He can want freely whatever He wants and no other decides for Him.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:07 am
Miles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:31 am .

Sure.

Free will is the capacity for agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded.

It's often stated in the past tense as "the ability to have done differently," which I think is about as concise as one can get.

Last edited by Miles on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:28 pm
Free will is the capacity for agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded.

It's often stated in the past tense as "the ability to have done differently," which I think is about as concise as one can get.

Okay so you dont think a human has the ability or the capacity to choose between different possible courses?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Okay so you dont think a human has the ability or the capacity to choose between different possible courses?
:approve:.... Neither a human nor any other animal.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Miles wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:41 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:33 pm

....... Neither a human nor any other animal.

What is your rationale ?

If I were to ask you if you want to eat a ham sandwhich or a cheese one ....you dont think you have the ability to make a choice? You would effectively need some else to make that choice for you because you simply lack the capacity to do so for yourself? A slug couldn't because he could not understand the offer but a human? How so?

What is the reasoning to come to such a conclusion?