false equivalency or not?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tokutter
Site Supporter

false equivalency or not?

Post #1

Post by tokutter »

This is used a lot: "Your almost an atheist......you don't believe in all the other gods"
Recently seen an apologist counter this with..........."That's like saying Barack Obama (who is married or course) is a bachelor to all other woman"
Is this a false equivalency?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: false equivalency or not?

Post #21

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 am
And, what criteria did you apply to dismiss all those other gods?
Criteria? I need positive evidence for other gods. So far, none have been presented.

But based on the presented evidence for Christianity, I am convinced.
Or, was the reality that you were originally inculcated with your belief in God and subsequently sought ways to justify that belief without any reference to other gods and beliefs at all?
Present the evidence for other gods, and it will be considered.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:23 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 am And, what criteria did you apply to dismiss all those other gods?
Criteria? I need positive evidence for other gods. So far, none have been presented.

But based on the presented evidence for Christianity, I am convinced.
Please share some of that evidence, that others here among us could enjoy the benefits of Christian belief.

But do remember, the bible is not considered authoritative in this section of the site.
We_are_ VENOM wrote:
Or, was the reality that you were originally inculcated with your belief in God and subsequently sought ways to justify that belief without any reference to other gods and beliefs at all?
Present the evidence for other gods, and it will be considered.
I hope you share yours as well.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:14 am Please share some of that evidence, that others here among us could enjoy the benefits of Christian belief.
Conversation for another day.
But do remember, the bible is not considered authoritative in this section of the site.
Bummer.
I hope you share yours as well.
I hope so too. Because after all, sharing is caring.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:40 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:14 am Please share some of that evidence, that others here among us could enjoy the benefits of Christian belief.
Yet you felt the need to introduce those claims into this'n.
We_Are_VENOM wrote:
We_Are_VENOM wrote: But do remember, the bible is not considered authoritative in this section of the site.
Bummer.
I do preciate a sense of humor.

But it just goes to show how much pretending it takes just to attempt having an honest debate with some Christians.
We_Are_VENOM wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: I hope you share yours as well.
Only don't it beat all, you're perfectly content to make the claim this evidence exists, it's just a "conversation for another day".

How many times do we see this - where a poster has no problem making claims, they just have problems with showing they speak truth, their claims being a "conversation for another day", or really, any excuse as to why, here in debate they just, well, it is a bother for em to show they speak truth?

Heck, if that's all we gotta do...

I'm the most handsomest, smartest, most bestest person in all the lands, it's just I can't show I speak truth, cause, ya know, reasons.

Wow, debate ain't so hard!
-Punkinhead Martin

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:51 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:40 pm
Yet you felt the need to introduce those claims into this'n.
We_Are_VENOM wrote:
We_Are_VENOM wrote: But do remember, the bible is not considered authoritative in this section of the site.
Bummer.
I do preciate a sense of humor.

But it just goes to show how much pretending it takes just to attempt having an honest debate with some Christians.
We_Are_VENOM wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: I hope you share yours as well.
Only don't it beat all, you're perfectly content to make the claim this evidence exists, it's just a "conversation for another day".

How many times do we see this - where a poster has no problem making claims, they just have problems with showing they speak truth, their claims being a "conversation for another day", or really, any excuse as to why, here in debate they just, well, it is a bother for em to show they speak truth?

Heck, if that's all we gotta do...

I'm the most handsomest, smartest, most bestest person in all the lands, it's just I can't show I speak truth, cause, ya know, reasons.

Wow, debate ain't so hard!
First off, what I did was simply answer a poster's question that was asked of me.

The answer that I provided was meant to be taken in a general sense, as opposed to me sitting here and presenting a full-fledge argument for Christian theism.

But dont get it twisted, I am all for it...but not at this time.

Like I said, conversation for another day. 8-)
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:37 pm First off, what I did was simply answer a poster's question that was asked of me.
I can dig that. While I might argue that it was still a claim, I do understand that sometimes folks are really just expressing a belief. I kinda have trouble "reading between the lines".
We_Are_Venom wrote: The answer that I provided was meant to be taken in a general sense, as opposed to me sitting here and presenting a full-fledge argument for Christian theism.
As above.
We_Are_VENOM wrote: But dont get it twisted, I am all for it...but not at this time.
Yeah, it kinda threw me off cause I consider you one who's always prepared to mount a defense. See above the as above, above.
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Like I said, conversation for another day. 8-)
I'm letting you off the hook - for now :tongue:
-Punkinhead Martin

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:14 pm I can dig that. While I might argue that it was still a claim, I do understand that sometimes folks are really just expressing a belief. I kinda have trouble "reading between the lines".
No prob. We've all been there.
Yeah, it kinda threw me off cause I consider you one who's always prepared to mount a defense. See above the as above, above.
Usually, I am. But that kind of conversation requires a LOT of brain energy.

Right now, my mind is focused on those pesky JW's and their theology.
I'm letting you off the hook - for now :tongue:
Bet. And when that convo takes place, I expect to see you there.

I will bring the pain, all you gotta do is show up. 8-)
Venni Vetti Vecci!!