'Don't believe this delta variant nonsense'

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

'Don't believe this delta variant nonsense'

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Does mistrust breed evangelicals or is it the other way around?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evangelical- ... 35205.html

For discussion:

1) To be a 'real' evangelical, do you have to have an innate mistrust of everyone other than God prior, or does being an evangelical eventually create mistrust in those in power or control?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since the early months of the coronavirus pandemic, Greg Locke, the pastor at a Nashville-area church, has repeatedly called covid a hoax, undermined emergency mandates and refused to comply with guidance from public health officials."
"If you start showing up [with] all these masks and all this nonsense, I will ask you to leave," Locke, 45, told scores of Global Vision Bible Church parishioners during his sermon on Sunday. His statement was followed by cheers and applause.
2) Does this above statement fall in line with Jesus' teachings?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

brunumb
Savant

Re: 'Don't believe this delta variant nonsense'

Post #21

Post by brunumb »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]

The worldwide numbers are of course much higher:

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... meAdvegas1?

Tcg

"Recovered" is a rather vague term really. Long covid is something we know very little about and these so-called recoveries may actually involve serious health implications for the rest of the lives of those people. Covid is not just a respiratory disease and it affects many other organs in a way that the common flu does not.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #22

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:37 am Restriction of normal life because some apparently fear a disease that is about as dangerous as common flu.
I take it then that you are not familiar with the great 1918 flu pandemic.
It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States. Mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older. The high mortality in healthy people, including those in the 20-40 year age group, was a unique feature of this pandemic.

While the 1918 H1N1 virus has been synthesized and evaluated, the properties that made it so devastating are not well understood. With no vaccine to protect against influenza infection and no antibiotics to treat secondary bacterial infections that can be associated with influenza infections, control efforts worldwide were limited to non-pharmaceutical interventions such as isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, use of disinfectants, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... istory.htm
Last edited by brunumb on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:37 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm [Replying to Miles in post #19]

The worldwide numbers are of course much higher:

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... meAdvegas1?

Tcg

"Recovered" is a rather vague term really. Long covid is something we know very little about and these so-called recoveries may actually involve serious health implications for the rest of the lives of those people. Covid is not just a respiratory disease and it affects many other organs in a way that the common flu does not.
Indeed. Perhaps the term should be "survived."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:55 pm Does mistrust breed evangelicals or is it the other way around?

For discussion:

1) To be a 'real' evangelical, do you have to have an innate mistrust of everyone other than God prior, or does being an evangelical eventually create mistrust in those in power or control?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since the early months of the coronavirus pandemic, Greg Locke, the pastor at a Nashville-area church, has repeatedly called covid a hoax, undermined emergency mandates and refused to comply with guidance from public health officials."
"If you start showing up [with] all these masks and all this nonsense, I will ask you to leave," Locke, 45, told scores of Global Vision Bible Church parishioners during his sermon on Sunday. His statement was followed by cheers and applause.
It's a self-correcting problem
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:10 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:55 pm Does mistrust breed evangelicals or is it the other way around?

For discussion:

It's a self-correcting problem
Maybe I'm evil or whatnot, but when this happens to someone who purposefully didn't do anything to prevent it, I can't be sympathetic for them. Unfortunately, it's their family oft times has to deal with their ignorance and stubbornness.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by Mithrae »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:29 pm I agree with Greg Locke. I think Jesus came to set people free from tyranny. So, if one is against Covid tyranny/fascism, I think it is on line with the teachings of Jesus.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luke 4:18-19
This seems to be a woefully self-serving misrepresentation of the gospels' portrayal. What exactly did Jesus say or do to set people free from the tyranny of Roman rule? Didn't he clearly command his followers "If a governor bids you wear a mask for one week, wear it a second week also"?

The deliverance and liberty proclaimed by Luke obviously have nothing to do with temporal political power. Off the top of my head, pretty sure the only thing Jesus taught which could be construed as advocating against submission to Roman rule was commanding his followers to give up their possessions to the poor, stop working for money and trust in God for their daily bread. Yet I can guarantee that those folk preaching against Covid regulations will be among the very first (admittedly in a very long line) of so-called Christians who emphasize only the first and much easier part of "Render unto Caesar..."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #27

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #2]
So, if one is against Covid tyranny/fascism,
What does this mean, exactly?
I don’t know how what it means to be a 'real' evangelical
I suspect a real evangelical would be able to discuss this with you if they wish. But I suspect it's much on the lines with what is or isn't a 'real christian' - many different opinions on the matter even among said 'real christians'.
It is really sad to see that most world governments seem to be fascists tyrants.
Perhaps. I would classify many, if not all, churches (specifically those who dabble in politics) the same. This would include, to various degrees, those who worship within said church and or claim to be one from that denomination or belief system. Unless, those in question, live by the 'live and let live' rule. Thus far, I've not seen many christian who live that rule. They always have to be shoving their beliefs onto others.

Savant

Post #28

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:42 pm
... control efforts worldwide were limited to non-pharmaceutical interventions such as isolation, quarantine, good personal hygiene, use of disinfectants, and limitations of public gatherings, which were applied unevenly.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... istory.htm
By what I know, the limitations were for those who were sick, not for all people.

Savant

Post #29

Post by 1213 »

DrNoGods wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:24 pm …Why do you call the vaccines "experimental drugs"? …
Because it has not been tested as vaccines normally would be (10-15 years). And I mean the Covid vaccines, not all possible vaccines.

Savant

Post #30

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:06 pm Really! Then obviously you haven't been paying attention to the numbers. Here, let me help you out with figures from the United States.
That is interesting, what I meant with flu is the common cold that can be caused by rhino, corona, adeno, para, or Respiratory syncytial virus. And that is not the same as Influenza, which is caused by Influenza viruses. Sorry, I thought flu and common cold were the same and not influenza (as in my native language). The problem with all this is that for example common cold could cause pneumonia, which then can cause death and the death is counted to pneumonia, not to that what probably caused it, like it seems to be done in the case of Covid. I don't trust to the numbers given for Covid, because there is a good motive to lie on the numbers, because then the hospital can get higher Medicare rates for COVID-19 patients. However, those who support the Covid fascism obviously think no such thing happens.

This is why I think the best way to estimate what is the seriousness of the situation is for example to look average life expectancy (Average age has not changed from the year 2018). By calculating the data that can be found from link below, the average age to die to Covid is about 78.5, which happens to be about the same as average age to die in US.
https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/11/18/co ... -age-15163

Male: 76.1 years - Average life expectancy of a US male (at birth).
Female: 81.1 years - Average life expectancy of a US female (at birth).
https://www.simplyinsurance.com/average ... #section-3

US life expectancy: male 76, female 81
https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/uni ... expectancy

In UK the average has been 82.4 years and life expectancy 81.4 years (2018). So, it appears that Covid is not at all serious.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... -ROSE.html

Interesting thing is also that in year 2018, there was 7,405,122,224 people, and 7,689,216 respiratory system related deaths. That is about 0,1 % of world population at that time.
Lung Disease 3,032,444
Influenza and Pneumonia 2,947,050
Tuberculosis 1,292,603
Asthma 417,119

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/wor ... tal-deaths

Now, in the year 2020 there was about 7,795,000,000 people, and 7,689,216 respiratory system related deaths. That is also about 0,1 % of world population at that time.

Lung disease 2,558,884
Influenza and pneumonia 2,486,826
Tuberculosis 1,090,745
Covid 1,947,121

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/

So, it appears the year of Covid was not meaningfully different than year 2018. Obviously it is sad to lose dear people, but by the numbers we have, Covid is not very bad. Common cold or flu can also quite easily lead to death of older people.

However, my point was not really to argue about how dangerous the covid is. If you believe it is dangerous, you are free to use mask and get all drugs you want, or stay in quarantine. My main point is, I think it is wrong to force those restrictions and vaccines, I think it is fascism and tyrannical. And there really is no good reason for it, because those who fear, can use all protection they want and if it is really working (which I don't believe it is), they should be fine, even if someone else doesn't do the same.