Faith Heaing?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Faith Heaing?

Post #1

Post by POI »

This thread is a spin-off for the already created topic "Prayer"....

The Bible instructs that God grants prayer requests - i.e. (Matthew 7:7), (Matthew 21:22), (Mark 11:24), (John 14:13-14), and (John 16:23); to name a few....

Let's assume the provided faith healer is genuine, and is a true believer. Many faith healers travel from place to place, and apparently offer cures for many, or at least claim to...

Why won't the faith healers ever seem to bother trying to pray for the regrowth of an amputated limb, or pray for the removal of someone's cerebral palsy, or pray for someone's child to no longer have downs syndrome? Or do they? And when they do, do they already know God will not answer the call, as instructed in the Bible?

Or is it because:

A. The faith healer knows God does not cure these particular conditions, and hence, the faith healer does not bother praying for the removal of them? Which begs the follow up question; why does the faith healer know this?
B. The faith healer does pray for the reversal of these conditions, and when these conditions always perpetually continue, the faith healer states "God has not answered (yet)"; even though the unfortunate recipients of these conditions will die with these conditions?
C. Faith healers know, deep down, they are a fraud, and are doing this for other reasons?
D. Other?

In line with Scripture, it seems to me quite odd that God is claimed to answer prayer, time and time again, but always skips over amputees, cerebral palsy, and downs syndrome.?.?.?.?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Faith Heaing?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:40 pm ...Why won't the faith healers ever seem to bother trying to pray for the regrowth of an amputated limb, or pray for the removal of someone's cerebral palsy, or pray for someone's child to no longer have downs syndrome? Or do they? And when they do, do they already know God will not answer the call, as instructed in the Bible?...
I don’t know what other people pray, or even who they really pray. But, it is possible that people just don’t have very much faith. It would not be a miracle. Even those who were with Jesus, according to the Bible, did not have very much faith. Does it make the teachings of Jesus wrong? I don’t think so.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:34 am
POI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:40 pm ...Why won't the faith healers ever seem to bother trying to pray for the regrowth of an amputated limb, or pray for the removal of someone's cerebral palsy, or pray for someone's child to no longer have downs syndrome? Or do they? And when they do, do they already know God will not answer the call, as instructed in the Bible?...
I don’t know what other people pray, or even who they really pray. But, it is possible that people just don’t have very much faith. It would not be a miracle. Even those who were with Jesus, according to the Bible, did not have very much faith. Does it make the teachings of Jesus wrong? I don’t think so.
Is it possible to have enough faith to pray for the restoration of amputees, or pray to remove cerebral palsy, or downs syndrome? If so, has this even been done?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:40 pm This thread is a spin-off for the already created topic "Prayer"....

The Bible instructs that God grants prayer requests - i.e. (Matthew 7:7), (Matthew 21:22), (Mark 11:24), (John 14:13-14), and (John 16:23); to name a few....

Let's assume the provided faith healer is genuine, and is a true believer. Many faith healers travel from place to place, and apparently offer cures for many, or at least claim to...

Why won't the faith healers ever seem to bother trying to pray for the regrowth of an amputated limb, or pray for the removal of someone's cerebral palsy, or pray for someone's child to no longer have downs syndrome? Or do they? And when they do, do they already know God will not answer the call, as instructed in the Bible?

Or is it because:

A. The faith healer knows God does not cure these particular conditions, and hence, the faith healer does not bother praying for the removal of them? Which begs the follow up question; why does the faith healer know this?
B. The faith healer does pray for the reversal of these conditions, and when these conditions always perpetually continue, the faith healer states "God has not answered (yet)"; even though the unfortunate recipients of these conditions will die with these conditions?
C. Faith healers know, deep down, they are a fraud, and are doing this for other reasons?
D. Other?

In line with Scripture, it seems to me quite odd that God is claimed to answer prayer, time and time again, but always skips over amputees, cerebral palsy, and downs syndrome.?.?.?.?
I've seen video clips showing people with diseases and being unable to walk to be cured instantly. Of course, was it real? Well, it was a real video that's all to which I can attest.
You'll see excuses of 'not enough faith' on the person involved which, to me, tells me two things: 1) the person claiming 'lack of faith' is making an excuse to appease their chosen life style and 2) has zero reason to assume anyone doesn't have 'enough faith' as they don't know that person's heart and will; additionally, why would someone 'not having enough faith' travel, many times, from far away areas of the country or planet just to be told 'Nope - you don't have enough faith and thus it's your fault!'?

Occam's razor seems to be the most logical reason: there is no faith healing.

But even if that's not the case, IT'S NOT GOD'S FAULT - EVER!!
:nervous:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:20 am
POI wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:40 pm This thread is a spin-off for the already created topic "Prayer"....

Or is it because:

D. Other?

I've seen video clips showing people with diseases and being unable to walk to be cured instantly. Of course, was it real? Well, it was a real video that's all to which I can attest.
You'll see excuses of 'not enough faith' on the person involved which, to me, tells me two things: 1) the person claiming 'lack of faith' is making an excuse to appease their chosen life style and 2) has zero reason to assume anyone doesn't have 'enough faith' as they don't know that person's heart and will; additionally, why would someone 'not having enough faith' travel, many times, from far away areas of the country or planet just to be told 'Nope - you don't have enough faith and thus it's your fault!'?

Occam's razor seems to be the most logical reason: there is no faith healing.

But even if that's not the case, IT'S NOT GOD'S FAULT - EVER!!
:nervous:
Yes, applying Occam's razor seems to be quite logical. Faith healing is not a thing, <verses>, faith healing is a thing, but here's how it works - sometimes and in certain situations -- (i.e. many more assumptions)...

Seems as though theists do not want to touch this thread either, at least so far?

The reason I conclude faith healing is not a thing, is because if a God exists, and answers petitionary and/or intercessory prayers, he would at least sometimes provide cures for the conditions for which science currently has absolutely no treatment. This includes amputees, cerebral palsy, and downs syndrome. Show me evidence of prayer curing any of these three events, and I will have no choice but to scratch my head ;)

And yes, the video needs to be authenticated somehow. Which raises the question... If it was legitimately authenticated, it would probably also be worldwide news, and I would not need to await some theist to only present it, when asked.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to POI in post #5]
he would at least sometimes provide cures for the conditions for which science currently has absolutely no treatment.

One would think.
'I'll believe in aliens when the land on the White House lawn', as the saying goes*
But I've been told by believers that 'God doesn't need to prove anything'.
If that's true, the he's battin' 1,000,000 as nothing has been proven about him past a book was written about him that causes some to believe in him.
I've gone so far as to say 'God, prove yourself to me. That's all that matters to me - how I believe, not the guy down the street!'
But alas, nothing has been shown to prove his existence to me beyond a doubt.
Maybe I'm not important enough?

* Twice, objects have flown over the White House, for which there have been no proof as to what they were.
Perhaps aliens are be more likely than God!?!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Faith healing I love it, particularly when they resort to the old carny trick of growing out a leg.

Examples at
0:55 to 1:17
1:56 to 2;12
2:47 to 3:00
4:03 to 4:14

All it takes is to slightly swing the two legs to one side, making their apparent length appear uneven, and then swinging them back to parallel where they line up.

POI
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:42 pm Faith healing I love it, particularly when they resort to the old carny trick of growing out a leg.

Examples at
0:55 to 1:17
1:56 to 2;12
2:47 to 3:00
4:03 to 4:14

All it takes is to slightly swing the two legs to one side, making their apparent length appear uneven, and then swinging them back to parallel where they line up.

Yea, I've seen some similar to these. But I'm asking theists to show me evidence for the return of amputated limbs. A little harder to trick ;)

Savant

Post #9

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:43 pm ...
Is it possible to have enough faith to pray for the restoration of amputees, or pray to remove cerebral palsy, or downs syndrome? If so, has this even been done?
I don’t know has it been done, but I believe anything is possible for God.

POI
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:13 pm
POI wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:43 pm ...
I don’t know has it been done, but I believe anything is possible for God.
I feel you are playing games, unfortunately. Unless you have lived in a bubble your entire life, you know full well Christians attest to answered prayer all the time, for countless things. I'm going to try asking you again, in a slightly different way...

1. Don't you find it curious, that God exclusively touches the lives of the ones, where another explanation may also be the result of their cure?
2. If God is curing all sorts of conditions, why does He skip, 100% of the time; amputees, cerebral palsy, and downs syndrome - (which could ONLY currently be reversed by God's prayer)?