Fear or Love, the 'why' behind christianity

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Fear or Love, the 'why' behind christianity

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Why do people become christian? Meaning, what's the drawing force that causes them to unload their previous lives and, taking up the cross, become a soldier for christ, fear or love?

You can't truly love someone (on when dealing with God, something) without knowing them. Do I love you? No. Do I know you? No. But it must also be said knowing someone or thing doesn't automatically equate to love.
So you can't become a christian because you love God.
What's left?
Fear, I suppose. Maybe indifference, or hate, but neither of these things equate to love and acceptance as far as I can tell.
Do you have to fear God? The bible says YES (though many would disagree what 'fear' means in that regard). So you certainly can fear God and, by extension, fear 'eternal Hell' (which many claim is the end result for rejecting christ, though many on this very site disagree with that statement even though it's taught in many christian churches). So, to avoid Hell ('cause you fear it) you become a christian, following the rules, living the life, fearing God, avoiding sin, asking forgiveness when you sin (though some sect say 'once forgiven always forgiven', so no need to ask for forgiveness more than once generally - oh the rules and caveats!!), tithe, read the bible, try to be righteous. Some speak in tongues, fast, sacrifice many things, and on and on, to be a christian and, by doing so successfully, avoiding hell (again, many would say though not all agree).
Over time, you can grow to love God (you can grow to love the taste of dirt if you eat it enough), but it's the fear that seems to come first.

For discussion, how is fear NOT what draws people into this chosen belief system?
Last edited by nobspeople on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Fear or Love, the 'why' behind christianity

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm
For discussion, who is fear NOT what draws people into this chosen belief system?
Don't quite understand your question here, but as for the "why" of Christianity---why people believe it---I've always felt it's grounded in the fear of Hell it says everyone should possess, plus the comfort a believer can draw from it.

As for the "why" of Christianity---why it exists in the first place---I believe it rests in the controlling power that resides in all religions, which in the case of Christianity came out of Judaism. As I see it, religions are developed by autocratic driven entities, commonly priests or clerics of some sort, who set themselves up as intellectual superiors who have the answers to the great questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the meaning of life? What happens to us after death? In short, religions, Christianity included, are the product of domineering, dictatorial personalities exercising their advantage.

bjs1
Sage

Post #3

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm Why do people become christian? Meaning, what's the drawing force that causes them to unload their previous lives and, taking up the cross, become a soldier for christ, fear or love?

You can't truly love someone (on when dealing with God, something) without knowing them. Do I love you? No. Do I know you? No. But it must also be said knowing someone or thing doesn't automatically equate to love.
This is a bold claim. What evidence do you have that the millions of Christian who claim to know and love God are either dishonest or mistaken?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Kierkegaard's 3 stages says this: 1. Aesthetics, 2. Ethics and morals and 3. Religion. I agree with this.
I also think that Ethics and morals equal Love to life in general and to fellow human beings.

Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stages_on_Life%27s_Way, Wikipedia.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I think on this topic we'll find folks have many and various reasons for their aholding to Christianity.

I propose we will, without even asking em, glean from their carryings on, why they hold to it.

The preacher of fear will be found to fear.

The preacher of bravery will be found to brave..

The preacher of hate will be found to hate.

The preacher of love will be found to love.

And all such manner as that.

As for me, I'm acoming around to trying to better understand the preachers of love, that I might learn me to be better at it.

But that whole ressurection thing, that's on that bunch :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:53 pm
For discussion, how is fear NOT what draws people into this chosen belief system?
Don't quite understand your question here, but as for the "why" of Christianity---why people believe it---I've always felt it's grounded in the fear of Hell it says everyone should possess, plus the comfort a believer can draw from it.

As for the "why" of Christianity---why it exists in the first place---I believe it rests in the controlling power that resides in all religions, which in the case of Christianity came out of Judaism. As I see it, religions are developed by autocratic driven entities, commonly priests or clerics of some sort, who set themselves up as intellectual superiors who have the answers to the great questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the meaning of life? What happens to us after death? In short, religions, Christianity included, are the product of domineering, dictatorial personalities exercising their advantage.

Sorry about that. I fat fingered the question (being dyslexic that happens from time to time). It's been corrected.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:00 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm Why do people become christian? Meaning, what's the drawing force that causes them to unload their previous lives and, taking up the cross, become a soldier for christ, fear or love?

This is a bold claim. What evidence do you have that the millions of Christian who claim to know and love God are either dishonest or mistaken?
Never said they are mistaken or dishonest (though I'd wager good money most christian lie about their beliefs, convictions, sins, and who is and isn't loved and convince themselves of false ideals and 'truths').
I said you can't love someone without knowing them. Once you 'know' them, sure. You can love them. Or hate them. Or be indifferent to them (aka 'meh'). This does beg the question of is an imperfect being (people) can truly know a perfect being (God or god), but that's a different topic.
But initially, when a person becomes a christian, they don't know God past what they're told. There's no personal relationship with God enough to create the bond of love. It may develop over time, but initially, it's not love that brings a person to God, but fear and desperation. Not love.
And I can guarantee I don't love you, or anyone else on here, just like no one on here loves me. 8-)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I don't propose to get into a discussion here, but these are interesting questions, Generally. Like cosmic origins, or evolution or the historical Jesus. They are actually irrelevant to debate about the validity of the Bible and Christianity (which stands or falls on Gospel credibility and specifically on the resurrection - claim), but they are interesting questions, like ethics/morality and religion and family/society and religion and indeed, yes, politics/war and religion. And indeed creativity/motivation and religion.

There are a number of blunderbuss words here and 'Love' was the widest mouth and biggest mixture of assorted shot of all. Love of a person, an ideal, music or a film, a kind of food, of a political ideal or indeed the man at the head of a political ideal... and hasn't that become flagged up recently?

Does one fear God/Jesus and the punishments for falling short so as be thrown into Hell (which isn't - axiomatically - going to be pleasant, no matter how apologists try to re-invent it so as to avoid it looking like the unjust punishments of an immoral being), or does the believer Love God/Jesus and fear of Hell is no part of it?

It's hard to deny that the Christian does love the religion and the figureheads at the top, but also Hellthreat crops up again and again in proselytising, admonishing about behaviour or dedication and (so I have read) is the most residual thing to shake for the deconvert - the fear of going to hell for not believing.

I find all this stuff looks more and more like human psychology (in the broadest sense) and based on instinct (and are therefore universal in humanity) and religion serves a purpose. We know it binds, motivates and inspires and that is often held up as a benefit of religion. I see it as the purpose of religion. And the divine figurehead doesn't really matter (though it seems the supremely important thing to the believer) because, when you think of it, a person can switch from one religion to another (sometimes) and the devotion remains the same, but with a different idol at the head of it.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:14 am
Miles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Sorry about that. I fat fingered the question (being dyslexic that happens from time to time). It's been corrected.
Don't mean to be pedantic, but I honestly don't see any difference between the original and corrected forms.

Original:. ..For discussion, how is fear NOT what draws people into this chosen belief system?

Corrected: For discussion, how is fear NOT what draws people into this chosen belief system?

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm ...You can't truly love someone (on when dealing with God, something) without knowing them. Do I love you? No. Do I know you? No. But it must also be said knowing someone or thing doesn't automatically equate to love...
Maybe it depends on what is meant with love. I have understood that it means in Bible care without conditions, doing good to others, without expecting reward. I think it is possible without knowing other.
nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:20 pm...Fear, I suppose. Maybe indifference, or hate, but neither of these things equate to love and acceptance as far as I can tell.
Do you have to fear God? ...
If one cannot love someone they don't know, how could they fear him? And if one knows God, why would he fear him?