Good reason

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Good reason

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In a different thread (listed below), when discussing, in part, if the bible is true, TRANSPONDER said " It is a well known argument that asserting what is in the Bible is true because it is in the Bible is a fallacy. A Lawyer would know that a witness statement is not going to be accepted as true just because he or she has said it. Nor of course rejected without good reason."

The above bolded section caused me to think (not claiming this is TRANSPNDER's assertion): is there good reason to think the bible isn't true?

For discussion: Is there good reason (define what is 'good reason' to you) to think the bible is or is not true*?

*TRUE here being used as 'legitimate, real word of God which was written by men, inspired by God' - this would assume everything written in it is true and agreed upon by God - in other words, nothing written is personal opinion of the writer.

Reference viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38540&start=10
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Good reason

Post #241

Post by JehovahsWitness »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:55 am

JWs and correct Biblical doctrine are always in conflict.
And how do you propose proving your claim here? Preumably because you know and can prove what is correct Biblical doctrine?

Unless you are the Pope, I find it is always best to present beliefs and opinions as such and not to presume more for the gallery.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , GOD'S KINGDOM and ... THE 144, 000
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #242

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 am Unless you are the Pope, I find it is always best to present beliefs and opinions as such and not to presume more for the gallery.
I can only conclude you'll now change your signature deal there, with it's declaration of how we all Jehovah live, and all such as that.

Or at least amend it to include the word hypocrisy somewhere there in among it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #243

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 am
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:55 am

JWs and correct Biblical doctrine are always in conflict.
And how do you propose proving your claim here? Preumably because you know and can prove what is correct Biblical doctrine?

Unless you are the Pope, I find it is always best to present beliefs and opinions as such and not to presume more for the gallery.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , GOD'S KINGDOM and ... THE 144, 000
Well, we can start with the two threads I created on JW's and false Biblical doctrine, and take it from there.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #244

Post by Gracchus »

[Replying to 1213 in post #2]

But the Bible also said that Egypt would be laid waste and absolutely desolate for seventy years. It said that Tyre would never be rebuilt. It said that the Kingdom of Heaven would be established on Earth within the lifetime of some alive in the the first century CE. I could go on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

brunumb
Savant

Post #245

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:03 am Unless you are the Pope, I find it is always best to present beliefs and opinions as such and not to presume more for the gallery.
The trouble is that unsupported beliefs and opinions don't count for much in a debate. If you are simply preaching that's another matter.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #246

Post by 1213 »

Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pm But the Bible also said that Egypt would be laid waste and absolutely desolate for seventy years.
Why do you think that has not happened?
Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pmIt said that Tyre would never be rebuilt.
If you look, it is still ruins.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ruins+of+tyre ... &ia=images
Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pmIt said that the Kingdom of Heaven would be established on Earth within the lifetime of some alive in the the first century CE.
That has happened, Jesus is the king and all who follow him, form the kingdom.

Gracchus
Apprentice

Post #247

Post by Gracchus »

Gracchus wrote: ↑Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:58 pm
"But the Bible also said that Egypt would be laid waste and absolutely desolate for seventy years."

Egypt has not ever been uninhabited in history.

It said that Tyre would never be rebuilt.

"If you look, it is still ruins."
Modern Tyre as it is today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tyre, ... 7641?hl=en

You can even see street views. Ruins from the time of Alexanders conquest still exist within the city, but Tyre itself has been continuously inhabited for over two millennia.

It said that the Kingdom of Heaven would be established on Earth within the lifetime of some alive in the the first century CE.

So, everyone saw him appear in the heavens? Funny that Josephus and Tacitus missed that tidbit! Moreover, if he reigns and rules in his kingdom, he surely is one of the most incompetent monarchs ever known. His subjects are continually waging civil wars, and enslaving anyone they can, even each other. But perhaps his kingdom is very scant and scattered over the Earth, so that he does not rule and reign over everyone?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #248

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:35 am
Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pm But the Bible also said that Egypt would be laid waste and absolutely desolate for seventy years.
Because it hasn't. Certainly, Egypt has had its' ups and down but never has it been laid waste and desolate for seventy years. Or not that I know of. Thus I'd say it is for the believer to present evidence that this happened when the historical evidence suggests that it didn't.
Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pmIt said that Tyre would never be rebuilt.
It is not in ruins. It was up and running not long after Alexander's attack and Jesus and Paul went there and it exists today. Sure there are some ruins to be selectively photographed and presented as though that was all there is, but Rome has Ruins, too. London has Roman ruins, but they are still Rome and London. And 'sur' is Tyre and always was.
Gracchus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pmIt said that the Kingdom of Heaven would be established on Earth within the lifetime of some alive in the the first century CE.
Yes. The meaning of 'kingdom of God' was changed from the predicted coming of the messiah while some of the disciples were still alive (prediction -talk on the mount of Olives) to being what Luke hinted at as (in his time) he'd realised that Jesus wasn't coming and the disciples were all dead: it Had come but not as what had been predicted. It was simply the church and never mind that it was nothing to do with the tribulation, abomination of desolation and fleeing to the mountains.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #249

Post by TRANSPONDER »

P.s I noted that the photos of ruins of Tyre often showed the same couple of structures over and over again, and in one case they said 'Roman ruins' which means of course built long after Tyre was supposed to have been destroyed. It would be interesting to study a map of the archaeological remains and see whether these ruins were not build on the outskirts of the city anyway.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #250

Post by TRANSPONDER »

pps. :) It was interesting to have a browse. I don't want to post images or links as it's not as easy as it used to be. But there are some Roman coastal ruins and the Necropolis which may be Tyrian, but I suspect that was on the outskirts of the city anyway. But an article on the archaeology seems to indicate that it's all under the modern city. Which was rebuilt.