JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

144,000 to rule as kings with Jesus

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 39 here:
JehovahsWitness wrote: ...
Only select few (144,000) will be given the special privilege to rule as kings with Jesus
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the quoted claim is true and factual.

Remember, the bible ain't considered authoritative in this section of the site.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: 144,000 to rule as kings with Jesus

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:28 am
The "truth" of there being 144,000 who're aheading to Heaven, and associated claims ...
I am not asking you about "The truth" I am asking you about thr "little truth" you claim to be exposed therein. Your statement was ....
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:15 pm It does have the side effect of showing just how little truth there is in "The Truth".

What is the "little truth" you claim to be have discovered ? Please offer some means to confirm this claim is true and factual.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:48 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:28 am The "truth" of there being 144,000 who're aheading to Heaven, and associated claims ...
I am not asking you about "The truth" I am asking you about thr "little truth" you claim to be exposed therein. Your statement was ....
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:15 pm It does have the side effect of showing just how little truth there is in "The Truth".
What is the "little truth" you claim to be have discovered ?
To date, I've discovered little, or no truth in the claim / belief that 144,000 folks're bound for glory
JehovahsWiness wrote: Please offer some means to confirm this claim is true and factual.
I present the lack of confirmatory data regarding 144,000 folks floating up to Heaven being presented within this thread in support of my contention that no confirmatory data regarding 144,000 folks floating up to Heaven has been presented within this thread.

Such is so often the case when we examine Christian beliefs / claims. Y'all can carry on about this and that and the other, ya just somehow miss the point of an OP that seeks some means to confirm if those beliefs / claims have any resemblance to truth.

It's like me believing the pretty thing'll just forget about my not taking out the trash, if only I can just get her to talking about that layabout brother of hers. All I see is obfuscation and consternation, and not the first bit of confirmation.

The god concept ain't it near about truth, as it is about belief.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:38 pm
To date, I've discovered little, or no truth in the claim / belief that 144,000 folks're bound for glory
I did n't ask you for what truth you haven't discovered I'm asking about your claim BELOW .....

What is this little truth ? Please offer some means to confirm your quoted claim above is true and factual.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:47 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:38 pm To date, I've discovered little, or no truth in the claim / belief that 144,000 folks're bound for glory
I didn't ask you for what truth you haven't discovered I'm asking about your claim BELOW .....
What is this little truth ? Please offer some means to confirm your quoted claim above is true and factual.
Otay ateday veIay iscovereday ittlelay, oray, onay ruthtay inay ethay laimcay / eliefbay atthay 0044001ay olks'refay oundbay orfay lorygay.

That's the only other language I can tell it in. I don't trust current online translation technology to accurately and reliably translate such a simple concept in a way that would have you understand.

Look, it's your belief the OP seeks to get at, if you just wanna keep playing these silly games, that's your deal.

I stand by my contention...

There is little (read no) evidence presented within this thread that should lead the reasoned and rational observer to the conclusion that 144,000 folks are going to a Heaven that can't be shown to exist.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I think the data sits clear...

Those who hold to a belief / claim that some 144,000 folks're gonna be all Heaven bound and the Jesus ruling with and all, can no more show such to be the truth than I can show I'm me here the smartest one among us.

And this is the case with so many Christian claims. Empty as a water trough the termites done out the bottom out.

When challenged on the belief / claim, folks set to fussing on how we might ever determine the truth, instead of just showing the truth. It's the mind games of the Christian, of the god concept - deny, obfuscate, and fuss on the one who challenges their oh so precious beliefs.

This is why we must continue to challenge, and counter those Christians who might seek to restrict the rights and freedoms of others simply cause they've been told they're special for holding their unsupportable beliefs.

144,000?

0!
-Punkinhead Martin

Diagoras
Guru

Post #26

Post by Diagoras »

tam wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:30 pmThe only means I know of to confirm what IS true though would be Christ (Christ sent that Revelation to John, and from my experience, the meaning of the content of that book must be revealed - I sure can't figure it out on my own; poetry and symbolism were two of my most disliked sections in high school.)
<bolding mine>

If it helps you, here's a well-researched summary of how Revelation has been interpreted:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... white.html
Also, apocalyptic literature was almost always a kind of literature for "insiders," that is to say, it was written for people who already knew something of the situation and of the symbols that were used to portray it.

There's ample evidence for a preterist ("past history") view:-
...the events described in Revelation all took place in the past and the work must be read in that ancient historical context. It is almost universally followed in both New Testament scholarship and by scholars of Christian history.
Worth reading down to the mention of Steven Friesen, who "...shows convincingly that there was a concrete presence of the imperial [Roman] cult ... that set the framework for the Book of Revelation."

The article continues with notes on the 'continuous history' mode of interpretation (mentioning Joachim of Fiore (1132-1202 CE) who "saw, a figure of his own day, as predicted in Revelation's unfolding of history from ancient to contemporary times.") as well as the 'future history' mode: most notably popularised by the Scofield Reference Bible.

I encourage readers of this thread to check it out.