Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Definition of God

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I won't name the source, cause it was offered in the spirit of explanation moreso than outright fact, but let's fuss on it all the same:
For a general definition of God, "the underlying source of all else which exists"...
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm God is the underlying source of all else which exists.

Remember, the bible ain't considered authoritative in this section of the site .
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Definition of God

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

What fun. Defining God, 'God' or god is always endless hours of amusement. Even without the Theists demanding that the atheists define God before they start debating.

I is rather the Believers should define what they mean by God otherwise atheists won't know whether they agree with it or not.

'The underlying source of all else which exists..' well, allright. Physics, we might say. Whatever and however it started the stuff that the Big Bang event was made from, since Theists themselves seem divided about whether or not to accept the BB as the Act of Creation or deny it as a 'scientific alternative theory to God'.

There's a thread on 'Infinite Regression' which (broadly) covers the topic of cosmic origins. So I won't go into it here. I'll just say that Infinite regression only makes that idea seems absurd and not a credible explanation. So something else has to serve as a theory. The two resolve as God and Something from Nothing' and I can say that the latter these days looks a lot more likely than an uncreated complex being.

So that is debatable, but isn't even a particularly useful debate because even if you make a Creative being a credible theory (hypothesis) which one? Which god is God? The 'Religion' debate is a can just kicked down the road.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 pm What fun. Defining God, 'God' or god is always endless hours of amusement. Even without the Theists demanding that the atheists define God before they start debating.

I[t] is rather the Believers should define what they mean by God otherwise atheists won't know whether they agree with it or not.
What definition of "god" do you think would be agreeable to atheists? I ask because because I've yet to see it matter. Because god is first and foremost a supernatural being, a characteristic atheist would first have to be convinced is true, which I have never seen happen, all other defining characteristics would have to wait their turn.

Last edited by Miles on Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 pm'The underlying source of all else which exists..' well, allright. Physics, we might say.
What's the underlying source of physics?
TRANSPONDER wrote:There's a thread on 'Infinite Regression' which (broadly) covers the topic of cosmic origins.
This isn't about regression; it's about reduction.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:36 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 pm What fun. Defining God, 'God' or god is always endless hours of amusement. Even without the Theists demanding that the atheists define God before they start debating.

I[t] is rather the Believers should define what they mean by God otherwise atheists won't know whether they agree with it or not.
What definition of "god" do you think would be agreeable to atheists? I ask because because I've yet to see it matter. Because god is first and foremost a supernatural being, a characteristic atheist would first have to be convinced is true, which I have never seen happen, all other defining characteristics would have to wait their turn.

I agree that it probably doesn't matter what concept of God (or a god of some kind) would be agreeable to atheists. What matters is what the evidence points to as the best hypothesis, whether atheist (or theists) like it or not.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:11 pm ...
Please offer some means to confirm God is the underlying source of all else which exists.
I would say, one reason to think God is the source is that nature itself has no ability to form life from death material on itself. If nature would have that ability, we could test and observe it in nature.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:26 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 pm'The underlying source of all else which exists..' well, allright. Physics, we might say.
TRANSPONDER wrote:There's a thread on 'Infinite Regression' which (broadly) covers the topic of cosmic origins.
If I get your drift correctly, yes, perhaps; reducing the term 'God' to specific (and often different) ideas of what that means. As I say, if the person proposing God says what they mean by it when they make their claim that it exists, the others will know the claim they are being asked to assess. This avoids a lot of debate before the propose of the claim says: 'That isn't what i meant by 'God'.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:05 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:11 pm ...
I would say, one reason to think God is the source is that nature itself has no ability to form life from death material on itself. If nature would have that ability, we could test and observe it in nature.
When you think about it, perhaps it does. In the process of reproducing bioforms, inanimate materials are assembled and become active and living.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Athetotheist »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:11 pm
If I get your drift correctly, yes, perhaps; reducing the term 'God' to specific (and often different) ideas of what that means. As I say, if the person proposing God says what they mean by it when they make their claim that it exists, the others will know the claim they are being asked to assess. This avoids a lot of debate before the propose of the claim says: 'That isn't what i meant by 'God'.
So, what's the underlying source of physics?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:22 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:11 pm
So, what's the underlying source of physics?
Now you're asking :D I am not a physicist nor am I assiduously following the latest thought in physics, cosmology or quantum study, and the matter is still speculative anyway. This is bound up with the alternative to an eternal God - a pre -universal 'stuff' that dd not need to be created.

Now the experiments I heard of seemed to hint an a potential inherent energy in nothingness that does not require creation. It is inherent. (I believe Hawking and Krauss and others called it 'potential') And matter, so physicists seem to e saying now, is energy doing stuff, or the way I described it on my previous board was 'energy reacting to other packets of energy in taking up position relative to the other packet and acting like there was something there. In other words, matter emerges from energy (that does not need creation) doing things.

And the doing of it works according to laws of physics, which are also inherent. Which is to say, what works, works and what doesn't vanishes. A kind of Chemical evolution, one might say.

So the way it seems to be is: Physics is based on the innate potential of potential matter. It is there without needing to be created.Something from nothing, in fact.

If I am quite wrong in that and letting my imagination run away with me, I can only say 'We don't know', but 'Don't know' does NOT mean that 'God' is the default hypothesis. And even if it was, Which god are we talking about?

As I say, Cosmic origins do not help religious claims, though Theists think they do.