Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Do God's Morals Change?

Post #1

Post by POI »

The Bible states:

"A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death."

Is this law still binding for anyone today? If so, are such laws ever being carried out?

Or, is it no longer binding for anyone? And if not, why is it no longer binding? And furthermore, if it is no longer binding for anyone, who's to say God's law will not change again someday?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Do God's Morals Change?

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:49 pm ...Trying to argue 'It wasn't so bad' or 'Biblical slavery wasn't Really Slavery like we mean it today' won't wash. Even if it was, people didn't want to be slaves and it was (for foreigners) slavery as we mean it today.
Bible indicates that some voluntarily were slaves. That is why I think it was not necessary bad.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:49 pmI won't even address the suggestion that modern people are somehow worse than people in past times. You ought to read some history.
I think modern people are generally in same situation, we just use different words for it.

brunumb
Savant

Post #42

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm Bible indicates that some voluntarily were slaves. That is why I think it was not necessary bad.
So what about all the rest who didn't want to be slaves but were forced into slavery?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

POI
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:21 pm
POI wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:09 pm If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?
The law demanded that with the death penalty the chief accuser cast the first stone (some bible scholars believe the condemned was first stoned and the body burnt). I hope that I would have obeyed this edict.
Second response....

The Verse I provided states "shall be burned to death". Thus, you can ask yourself... Did these female fornicating priest's daughters get tied up and burned to death, or, did they stone them first?

I'd say, based upon the fact of the provided Biblical Verses, they were to be burned to death.

Thus, you can address my unanswered question:

If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by POI »

brunumb wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:08 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:58 pm Bible indicates that some voluntarily were slaves. That is why I think it was not necessary bad.
So what about all the rest who didn't want to be slaves but were forced into slavery?
Thus far, crickets...

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Post by JehovahsWitness »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:21 pm
If you were under this law, and you were a priest, and found that your daughter had committed fornication; would you light the match, or ask someone else to do it?
If they were burnt to death, then yes absolutely, without reservation I would light the match if thats what the law required. Yes.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Is KILLING compatible with LOVE?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p952839

Did Gods punishment of ADAM &EVE fit the Crime?
viewtopic.php?p=848992#p848992

Is God more "killer" than kind?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 54#p959154

To learn more please go to other posts related to ARMAGEDDON, DIVINE WAR and ...KILLING IN SCRIPTURE
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #46

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:49 pm
If they were burnt to death, then yes absolutely, without reservation I would light the match if thats what the law required. Yes.

JW
This is an astounding answer. To make sure I don't misunderstand it, you are stating that you would burn your own child to death and would do so without reservation? Of course if the answer is yes, then it explains we some so easily shun their own children as if they were dead. So much for the unconditional love some claim god and his followers follow or at least should follow.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #47

Post by nobspeople »

JW

RELATED POSTS
Is KILLING compatible with LOVE?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 39#p952839

Did Gods punishment of ADAM &EVE fit the Crime?
viewtopic.php?p=848992#p848992

Is God more "killer" than kind?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 54#p959154

To learn more please go to other posts related to ARMAGEDDON, DIVINE WAR and ...KILLING IN SCRIPTURE
This is an example of how, as stated above, blind faith to a book of words written by dead men, without thinking is dangerous to humanity.
I find this truly sad, unfortunate and disturbing.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:10 am
This is an example of how, as stated above, blind faith to a book of words written by dead men, without thinking is dangerous to humanity.
I find this truly sad, unfortunate and disturbing.
You'd have to be flat crazy to kill on completely blind faith, and I don't think JW is insane. Sane human beings are capable of this degree of respect for the rules... iff (double f) they genuinely believe in the rules. In other words, JW actually believes fornication is bad.

Maybe in modern day nobody respects any rules because we don't see any reason for it. People only argue for lighter punishments, not harsher ones.

I wouldn't agree with it personally for fornication, at least not without more evidence, but replace it with rape and I can see it. I can also see being in JW's place, saying, yes I would burn my son the rapist. And I can see how society would be different, and worse, if rape were simply allowed. It would edge out voluntary reproductive success. Everyone's wife would be pregnant with a rape child, they'd be stuck raising it, and anyone would be a fool to think this wouldn't make society more and more rapey. People with the tendency would have success, earned by others.

And in this terrible society where rape is just accepted, I look like a villain saying I'd burn my son for doing something physically equivalent to a particularly nasty eye poke, and look no permanent damage how can you kill someone for that you fiend, but I say I'd do what's necessary to go against it not because of any blind faith, but because I have thought about logical outcomes.
Tcg wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:58 pmThis is an astounding answer. To make sure I don't misunderstand it, you are stating that you would burn your own child to death and would do so without reservation? Of course if the answer is yes, then it explains we some so easily shun their own children as if they were dead. So much for the unconditional love some claim god and his followers follow or at least should follow.
Well, would you let your kid off the hook if you were a prison guard and your child was an unrepentant murderer? Just open the cell then, would you? He's your kid, he means more to you than the law he broke, right?

All I'm really doing here is replacing [law JW believes in] with [law TCG believes in]. This whole exchange is pretty much reductive to pointing out that the punishment is harsh if you think about it. It reduces to, does JW believe that law is right? But the focus shifts, slightly, to the child he'd punish. But if I'm correct, anyone would punish their own child if they thought that law and that punishment was actually morally right and necessary. I mean, Mithrae said as much and everyone agreed as far as I remember.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39585
Mithrae wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 pmThe point of the brain teaser and my answer to it is that 'love' even for those closest to you isn't an excuse for making moral exceptions, because making those exceptions really suggests the opposite, suggests a shallower and more selfish kind of love conditional on that relationship.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #49

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to POI in post #1]

This law is not kept by anyone today and should not be because Christ did away with the law of Moses. Only the eternal laws remain from that time because they never change.

So just like America has different laws, like state law, federal law, municipal law...God has different laws, some of which we do not know like maybe angelic law.

in the Law of Moses, there were different laws, like moral, ceremonial, or judicial. The moral laws are derived from the eternal law, such as do not murder or steal.

The law of Moses wasn't for all men. It was for the Jews alone. According to Jews gentiles only keep the 7 laws of Noah. According to the church, the eternal laws were binding on gentiles and Jews, were are basically the 10 commandments, minus the Sabbath, although it is still kept but on Sunday. That is another topic, though. So, let us just say the other 9 commandments to make it easier.

Those laws have always been binding on all people and always will be. It will not change. But laws that were only binding on Jews can be done away with as they were never binding on gentiles anyway. Christ set even Jews free from the laws.

Also, even of the laws binding on the Jews, some were only for the priests, some only for women and so on.
if it is no longer binding for anyone, who's to say God's law will not change again someday?
The eternal laws will never change, but other types of laws might change.

Miles
Savant

Post #50

Post by Miles »

Overcomer wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:32 pm
Let me put it another way: The Old Testament gives us the old covenant with God. When Jesus comes, he replaces the old with a new one.
Jesus speaking:

Matthew 5:17-18
17 Don’t think that I have come to destroy the Law of Moses or the teaching of the prophets. I have come not to destroy their teachings but to give full meaning to them. 18 I assure you that nothing will disappear from the law until heaven and earth are gone. The law will not lose even the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter until it has all been done.

Meaningless?