Mountain moved

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Mountain moved

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

In the thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38517, a lot was spoken about 'faith'.
Matty 17:20 says:
He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” (KJV)
“You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” (NLT)
He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” (EST)
And so on.

So, to the faithful, I ask you: what mountain have you moved?
Or is this a metaphor - mountains don't move because you say so no matter how much faith you have? Or do they?
And when do we use metaphor and when do we not, when putting the bible to work in our lives?
Last edited by nobspeople on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Mountain moved

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:21 pm
The "mountain" "moved", is the mountain of Babylon being thrown into the sea, which is happening as of now, since we are at the "end of the age". (Revelation 18:21)
It wasnt a "mountain" that is thrown into the sea, its a stone....

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #22

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:02 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:21 pm
The "mountain" "moved", is the mountain of Babylon being thrown into the sea, which is happening as of now, since we are at the "end of the age". (Revelation 18:21)
It wasnt a "mountain" that is thrown into the sea, its a stone....

That would be a "big" stone. Babylon the Great is the mother of harlots (Revelation 17:5), those being the religions based on the Babylonian mystery religion, and upon who sits the kings/mountains, starting with Nebuchadnezzar and ending with Rome, and the Roman church, built on the rock/stone of the "worthless shepherd", Peter/pope, who is destined to be thrown into the sea, such as "fall", and those hanging onto him, will be "cut off" (Isaiah 22:25). Those kingdoms/mountains may grind down the populace, like in the case of a millstone, but it is not a millstone referred to in Revelation 18:21, but Babylon, the mystery religion, with her trinity of gods. The strong angel is not going to throw some perfectly good mill stone into the sea, he will throw Babylon, and her daughters into the sea. Look around you, the foundations of corruption around you are starting to crack. The "fall", collapse, of a cracked unreinforced foundation will quickly follow. You can get under a table, but I am thinking that table you would hide under will break when the house falls. If Yeshua, Daniel, and Isaiah wanted the "wicked" to understand, they would not have used parables.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:30 am
I think most everyone would see this as not a literal reference...
Why? Why wouldnt it be 50-50% ? You said "almost everyone" would come to this conclusion... for what reason?

JW
Because it lacks logic and common sense. "Almost everyone" because it's not everyone.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #24

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:02 am
Why? Why wouldnt it be 50-50% ? You said "almost everyone" would come to this conclusion... for what reason?

JW
Because it lacks logic and common sense. "Almost everyone" because it's not everyone.
Do you mean a literal reading lacks common sense? If so, could you elaborate. If you find a way to specifically explain what about taking the passage literally would "lacks common sense" ....the principles can be applied to other scriptures to determine if something should be taken literally or not.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:18 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:02 am

JW
Do you mean a literal reading lacks common sense? If so, could you elaborate(?). If you find a way to specifically explain what about taking the passage literally would "lacks common sense" ....the principles can be applied to other scriptures to determine if something should be taken literally or not.

JW
It's not common sense to literally believe a mustard seed could move a mountain.
Nothing 'special' or 'unique' needed to understand that.
That said, if that common sense used in other parts of the bible, it would likely challenge many other parts that many believers take literally (resurrection, walking on water, driving demons into swine, raising the dead for examples). So I'm not sure if that "principles can be applied to other scriptures to determine if something should be taken literally or not.".