Unconditional love real?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Unconditional love real?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

When it comes to humans and God, is unconditional love real?

Can it be tested to be shown either way?
Or is it another 'faith' experiment touted as something special to draw in the hopeless among us?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Unconditional love real?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:23 pm When it comes to humans and God, is unconditional love real?

Can it be tested to be shown either way?
Or is it another 'faith' experiment touted as something special to draw in the hopeless among us?
As far as god goes, for certain individuals his love might be unconditional, although I don't recall any examples to that effect, but there are numerous instances where he demonstrates just how conditional his love can be: He hates people for various reasons.

Psalm 11:5
The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

Proverbs 6:16-19
There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.

Romans 9:13
As it is written [in Malachi 1:3], “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

As for humans and unconditional love, I can easily see that happening in the bond between one's child and oneself.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:23 pm When it comes to humans and God, is unconditional love real?
In Bible it is said for example:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

Obviously you could say that God doesn't really do those things, but if, we assume it is true, then I think that is one sign of unconditional love. God does good things even for those who hate Him, without any condition.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 pm

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.

Obviously you could say that God doesn't really do those things, but if, we assume it is true, then I think that is one sign of unconditional love. God does good things even for those who hate Him, without any condition.
And after the sun and rain has had it's effect, we find the end results are many light years from unconditional love:
Matthew 13:38 The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. 40 Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
This is how enemies will be treated in the end at least according to this particular mythology.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Assuming it's true, also means we could assume it's not true (which is a different argument altogether). But that answers the 'god' question. What about humans? Are they capable of unconditional love?
Kindly review the response here to see how unconditional love exists within humanity:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38559&p=1048558#p1048558

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:12 am ...What about humans? Are they capable of unconditional love?...
I don’t see any reason why it would not be possible, all though it seems to be rare.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:38 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:12 am ...What about humans? Are they capable of unconditional love?...
I don’t see any reason why it would not be possible, all though it seems to be rare.
Rare indeed, at least to other humans as you can see here

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38559&p=1048558#p1048558