Why can't God be proven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why can't God be proven?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Because of faith faith faith faith - ad nauseam - is normally the answer. But that's an excuse and doesn't really answer the question for many (including many believers if you listen to enough of them).
Surely, if God can create all that is, it could prove itself to everyone, yeah?
Some say this would, somehow, 'cheapen' the experience or that by proving itself to everyone, less people would (again, somehow?) not follow god. That is also an excuse.

What mentally sound person would see irrefutable proof that God is real and that everything God 'said' is real, and still say 'meh... I don't believe it'? Not many I'd suspect! And even if 'many' did do this, wouldn't it be a lot less than those who don't have faith in it and perish?

So for centuries of looking, no proof has been found. Why is that?

Some would say it's 'because there is no god'. And surely that may be true.
But could it also be true that God, creator of all things, is simply forcing people to 'have faith' to find him?
What benefit does that serve such a loving being, to see the inevitable eternal damnation of many of the beings it's said to love?!?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Why can't God be proven?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:35 am ....What mentally sound person would see irrefutable proof that God is real and that everything God 'said' is real, and still say 'meh... I don't believe it'? Not many I'd suspect! And even if 'many' did do this, wouldn't it be a lot less than those who don't have faith in it and perish?

So for centuries of looking, no proof has been found. Why is that? ...
I think it is because the point is not to believe in the existence of God, but to be righteous, to have right understanding of good and right and the desire to do what is good and right.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

And I have understood that faith means loyalty to God, not belief in His existence. The point is to be loyal to God and live by His commandments.

But the righteous will live by faith. If he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.
Hebrews 10:38

If you don't understand His will is good now, why would you understand it when you would surely know Hs is real?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #2]
I think it is because the point is not to believe in the existence of God, but to be righteous, to have right understanding of good and right and the desire to do what is good and right.
This seems to be saying you can't be good and righteous if you know that god exist which is ludicrous in every sense of the word.
And I have understood that faith means loyalty to God, not belief in His existence. The point is to be loyal to God and live by His commandments.
Again, knowing and having proof does not negate the ability to be loyal and live by his commandments.

Your understanding, while honest, doesn't answer the question asked as you can know god exists by proof and still function as you outlined above.
If you don't understand His will is good now, why would you understand it when you would surely know Hs is real?
That's the most ridiculous question I've seen in a long, long time to the point where I don't think you're serious and are making a joke. :P
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Eloi »

This topic begins with a false premise: that God cannot be proven.

There is so much proof of God's existence ... Some people want more, while others don't care, so they sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:26 pm This topic begins with a false premise: that God cannot be proven.

There is so much proof of God's existence ... Some people want more, while others don't care, so they sweep them under the rug as if they don't exist.
Then bring it on. Image Lets see some of this "proof" you have for his existence.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]
That is not the topic here.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]
The proof of god? Sure it is. It's all about proving god. You even addressed it when you replied to nobspeople's question, "Why can't God be proven?" with:

"There is so much proof of God's existence."

So as I said, bring it on. Lets see some of this "proof." Or did you suddenly get cold feet? Image Which is my guess

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

Eloi wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]
In other words, the reason that God can't be proven is that there is no irrefutable evidence of his existence.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #9

Post by Diagoras »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:35 am Surely, if God can create all that is, it could prove itself to everyone, yeah?
I'm not suggesting it as a satisfactory answer (as it leads to an obvious circular argument), but the Bible has plenty of references to God talking to, bestowing favours and curses upon, and generally being very extant a couple of thousand years ago or so - albeit confined to a fairly small geographical area on Earth.

I'm curious to learn (if anyone has the information from a reliable source) what the latest recorded biblical verifiable 'sighting' of God would be? What I mean is, Scripture that details the last time God is interacting with more than one person - outside of sending a vision or angel - which can be dated by reference to known historical events.

Maybe that will hold clues as to why he's not been reliably seen since?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #4]
This topic begins with a false premise: that God cannot be proven.
The nonexistence of gods can't be proven, but so far neither can the existence of gods. None of the literally thousands of gods that humans have imagined over the millennia has ever been proven to exist. An easy solution would be to achieve this proof and thereby demonstrate the existence of one or more gods. But that is one thing that has proven to be difficult ... or is it impossible? I'll second Miles and ask for the evidence you implied existed.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain