Why are you hated?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why are you hated?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Not that anyone here hates someone else on this site :roll: but surely, as a christian, you know someone, somewhere, hates you for simply believing in and the way you do (much like people of different races or orientations are hated for their specific reasons). Rather or not it's right is up for debate elsewhere.

Why do you think that is, that people hate you for your belief?

Are they jealous of you?
Have you done something to harm them?
Do christians have too much control over the lives of others? Or not enough?
Do they not understand you? Or do they understand you too well?

Or is this premise wrong and everyone love christians because they're christian?

And of course, let's not resort to saying 'I hate you' to specific individuals when responding. This also goes for sly remarks that would render the casual reader to come to the same coclusion.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Re: Why are you hated?

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Someone who hates a group of billions of people is not doing so for a rational reason. That hatred is coming from inside the person who hates.

It could be fear. It could be insecurity. It could be that the Christian’s existence challenges someone’s view of the world and humanity. It could be that someone cannot genuinely understand Christians, and we tend to hate what we don’t understand. It could be that the person needs to feel in control, and if he can’t control Christians then he will hate them. It could be that the person hates himself and needs to target that hatred outward.

However, there is no rational reason to hate all Christian, Jews, Blacks, atheists, or large and diverse group.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #3

Post by Dimmesdale »

Hatred I'm sure comes in many forms.

The one's that I have recently come to understand better mainly spring from two sources: Contempt, and Envy.

You may hate someone because you have genuine contempt for him or her. You think in a very real way that they are beneath you. In terms of value, or worth, or morality. While this sort of hate is also not good in the end, and should be overcome, it is at least rooted in some honesty or genuine appraisal of reality. You are at least real here. You at least claim to know yourself and know the other person as in some sense deficient. Otherwise, if you didn't have this reality appraisal, you would have no grounds to feel superior.

Then there is envy. Envy is much worse. It doesn't matter what position, morally or otherwise, the person you are envious occupies, whether he is above or below you. You simply want to tear him down -- because for some reason that makes you feel better. If Contempt is due to feelings of superiority, envy comes from inferiority. Inferiority in terms of positions, wealth, or even something as silly as not getting the same amount of sex or pleasure as another person. Envy, when it is powerful, wants to destroy everything. It doesn't recognize any authority, any morality, any standards. When someone is completely controlled by envy, all that matters is grinding everyone who is superior to you in any way into the dust. Envy thus destroys all value - and hatred based on that is infinitely worse than hatred based on Contempt.

With Contempt, you at least have self-respect. With Envy, you are reduced to less than nothing. }

Those are my two cents.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Clearly, some of the hate seems to have a psychiatric explanation, be it schizophrenia or depression out of circumstances. People may not receive the medical attention they deserve and so go on to hate other people.

However, these forums are not the place for hate. We come together in peace and friendly attitudes to discuss matters at hand relevant here. I can't see any place for hate here on these forums. As little as people can argue pro evil, the hate goes out as well.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

I'm hated because I'm a bad person. I fully admit it.

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #6

Post by Dimmesdale »

What if hatred itself is an illusion? We only hate others because we secretly hate what's inside our own hearts? We project it outwards in other words. And even then, what we hate is a figment of our own imagination - foisted on us by some cloudy shape of guilt -- which only pretends to have solidity.

What if everyone is wrong, and everyone is right?

Perhaps there is nothing right about this whole set up, this whole world, but to keep from losing our heads we pretend things are a.o.k. And that, too, has to be honored because it is somehow legitimate.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Sometimes people are hated not for their individual actions or personality but for who or what they represent.
MATTHEW 10:22

And you will be hated by all people on account of my name, but the one who has endured* to the end will be saved.
MATTHEW 24:9

“Then people will hand you over to tribulation+ and will kill you,+ and you will be hated by all the nations on account of my name.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Why are Christians hated?
viewtopic.php?p=1027302#p1027302
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE, HATE and ...RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #8

Post by bluegreenearth »

Hate Christianity, Love the Christian. ;)

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

bluegreenearth wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 pm Hate Christianity, Love the Christian. ;)
Well, that's no fun
:D
Seriously, christianity makes it hard to do that sometimes. Why bother, is what some ask.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #10

Post by bluegreenearth »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:45 pm
bluegreenearth wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:27 pm Hate Christianity, Love the Christian. ;)
Well, that's no fun
:D
Seriously, christianity makes it hard to do that sometimes. Why bother, is what some ask.
Well, many Christians have been known to proclaim, "Hate the sin, love the sinner!" So, I thought it might be fun to submit a parody of that response.

Seriously, though, I discovered that hating other people only negatively impacts my own well-being. Also, it isn't that difficult to transform hate into compassion by simply altering my perspective a bit. For instance, when tempted to perceive insufferable Christians as perpetrators of suffering, I try to remember that it is their own suffering which misguides them to into acting inappropriately. It is difficult for me to persist in hating someone who is experiencing suffering. Therefore, it is my compassion for many Christians that encourages me to continue engaging productively with them where possible.