Why are you hated?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why are you hated?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Not that anyone here hates someone else on this site :roll: but surely, as a christian, you know someone, somewhere, hates you for simply believing in and the way you do (much like people of different races or orientations are hated for their specific reasons). Rather or not it's right is up for debate elsewhere.

Why do you think that is, that people hate you for your belief?

Are they jealous of you?
Have you done something to harm them?
Do christians have too much control over the lives of others? Or not enough?
Do they not understand you? Or do they understand you too well?

Or is this premise wrong and everyone love christians because they're christian?

And of course, let's not resort to saying 'I hate you' to specific individuals when responding. This also goes for sly remarks that would render the casual reader to come to the same coclusion.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Why are you hated?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bluegreenearth in post #10]
Well, many Christians have been known to proclaim, "Hate the sin, love the sinner!" So, I thought it might be fun to submit a parody of that response.
Which wasn't lost on me ;)
Seriously, though, I discovered that hating other people only negatively impacts my own well-being. Also, it isn't that difficult to transform hate into compassion by simply altering my perspective a bit.
I think it's easier to hate than not, but it sure is taxing to a point of diminishing returns! But yeah, hating is a thing, just not necessarily a good thing. IMO of course.
It is difficult for me to persist in hating someone who is experiencing suffering.
That's a good way to look at it!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Athetotheist »

I notice what seems to be a trend toward humans separating themselves into smaller and smaller groups. Every time you turn around it seems that there's another "community"....within a community within a community etc., and the smaller the groups get the more extreme their positions become. From the "[fill in the blank] will not replace us" of white supremacism to the "yes, it's all white people" strain of critical race theory, from the misogyny of the incel movement to the misandry of "woke" feminism, this is definitely not progress; it's humankind reverting to paranoid tribalism.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

it's humankind reverting to paranoid tribalism
I do not think it is a case of reverting. More the case of not yet having elevated to becoming aware of the animalist constraints of tribalism.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Athetotheist »

William wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:22 am
I do not think it is a case of reverting. More the case of not yet having elevated to becoming aware of the animalist constraints of tribalism.
You seem to assume, as many do, that humankind is on a steadily upward path toward group enlightenment. I don't subscribe to that assessment of human nature. It may have been useful in launching Star Trek, but it hasn't been borne out in our own reality.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 am
You seem to assume, as many do, that humankind is on a steadily upward path toward group enlightenment. I don't subscribe to that assessment of human nature. It may have been useful in launching Star Trek, but it hasn't been borne out in our own reality.
Not sure if the above is an expression of contempt for humanity or not.

But you appear to be saying that humans are incapable of rising above tribalism. Perhaps you are correct, perhaps not.

I think there is evidence that at least some sectors of human beings are in favor of pursuing enlightenment in rising above the more common influences of tribality.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Athetotheist »

William wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:41 am
Not sure if the above is an expression of contempt for humanity or not.

But you appear to be saying that humans are incapable of rising above tribalism. Perhaps you are correct, perhaps not.

I think there is evidence that at least some sectors of human beings are in favor of pursuing enlightenment in rising above the more common influences of tribality.
There is no contempt intended, and there certainly are many who think broadly enough to see past our aggressive tendencies to a more cooperative effort. I merely hold that it's a kind of magical thinking to extend that tendency to the entire species as an evolutionary certainty.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

Is it necessary that the entire specie is enlightened?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Athetotheist »

William wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:33 pm Is it necessary that the entire specie is enlightened?
It isn't about it being necessary; it's about it being possible. I don't think that's a realistic expectation.

That said, I do believe in things we can do to reconnect with our humanity. For one thing, we have to learn how to be vulnerable again----not in the sense of being outraged by every little thing someone does which displeases us, but in the sense of accepting that we don't have to be invincible. We've been trying too hard to be superheroes. We pursue power instead of developing strength. If I can accept the weakness in me and you can accept the weakness in you, it frees us to make each other stronger.

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »