Nephilim

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Nephilim

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Nephilim, in the Hebrew Bible, a group of mysterious beings or people of unusually large size and strength who lived both before and after the Flood. The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis and Numbers and are possibly referred to in Ezekiel. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants” or taken to mean “the fallen ones” (from the Hebrew naphal, “to fall”), but the identity of the Nephilim is debated by scholars.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nephilim

Some within the cryptozoology field believe sasquatch are nephilim (or descendants of). They site things like: strength, height, supernatural abilities (tracks disappearing in the middle of no where, gliding stride, speed, 'clocking' and lack of dead bodies for examples), sightings from almost every continent and inability to be photographed (though, to be fair, there are photos and videos showing alleged bigfoot).

Is it possible the nephys (my term) survived into modern day and are, in fact, cryptic creatures like bigfoot*?
Why or why not?

*Nephys could also be said to be reason for sightings of things like dogmen, goatmen, glimmerman, among others.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Nephilim

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Having never given Nephilim a second thought I find their description following the Flood Genesis interesting.

From the KJV

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

And from the ERV

Genesis 6:1-4
People Become Evil
1The number of people on earth began to grow. Daughters were born to these people. 2 The sons of God saw that these girls were beautiful. And they married any of them they chose. 3 The Lord said, “My Spirit will not remain in human beings forever. This is because they are flesh. They will live only 120 years.”
The number of people on earth continued to increase. When these people had daughters, the sons of God saw how beautiful they were. So they chose the women they wanted. They married them, and the women had their children. Then the Lord said, “People are only human. I will not let my Spirit be troubled by them forever. I will let them live only 120 years.” During this time and also later, the Nephilim people lived in the land. They have been famous as powerful soldiers since ancient times.

And from the ICB

Genesis 6:4
People Become Evil
The number of people on earth continued to increase. When these people had daughters, the sons of God saw how beautiful they were. So they chose the women they wanted. They married them, and the women had their children. Then the Lord said, “People are only human. I will not let my Spirit be troubled by them forever. I will let them live only 120 years.” During this time and also later, the Nephilim people lived in the land. They have been famous as powerful soldiers since ancient times.

So these Nephilim were like Adam in that they weren't descendants of any living beings such as A&E, but were "dropped" as is onto Earth by god. A type of angel perhaps or simply another form of human beings, like dachshunds are different from st bernards? And just why did god put them on earth in the first place, limiting their life span? AND, are any of their descendants still around? Could you or I be the great, great, great . . . . grandson/daughter of a Nephilim?

Moreover, if there's no significant aftereffect of their appearance why bother mentioning them in the first place?

Jemima
Student

Post #3

Post by Jemima »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 am Nephilim, in the Hebrew Bible, a group of mysterious beings or people of unusually large size and strength who lived both before and after the Flood.
Biblically speaking, that is impossible because the flood destroyed all air breathing life outside of the ark. So, back to the Bible for an explanation....
The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis and Numbers and are possibly referred to in Ezekiel. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants” or taken to mean “the fallen ones” (from the Hebrew naphal, “to fall”), but the identity of the Nephilim is debated by scholars.
Scholars have been debating Biblical things for centuries...but what does the Bible itself tell us about the Nephilim?
Firstly their name, which means "fellers" or those who cause others "to fall". So who were these "giants" whose violence and licentiousness created a world where God had to intervene drastically to prevent his purpose from being derailed by their actions.
Genesis 6:1-2 (NASB)
"Now it came about, when mankind began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of mankind were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose."

What do we see there? Who were these "sons of God"?.....in other parts of the Bible, they are identified as angels. In this case, rebel angels who had followed satan into a course of wickedness. These materialized human form and took these women and had sex with them. They fathered a brood of violent bullies who were gigantic in size. And these, like their wicked fathers, were intent on gratifying their lust for sex and domination. Whereas the rebel angels are said to have fathered these creatures, there is no mention of the Nephilim reproducing. This is probably hybridization, which is the end of a forced genetic line involving two creatures whom nature never meant to reproduce.

Because these were not "sons of Adam" they did not come under the future redemption of the human race by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. They had no right to exist and their presence on earth was catastrophic. God took steps to eliminate them...drastic steps, in that he had to also eliminate any hiding places for their errant fathers to inhabit. It is apparent that water was a barrier to them because nothing below the water was affected by the flood that God sent to destroy the Nephilim. That created nowhere for those rebel angels to go, but back to the spirit realm from which they had come, thereafter to be placed under restraint. (Jude 6) There is no mention of the demons being able to materialize ever again, though faithful angels continued to do so, bringing messages to God's faithful servants on earth.

Does the existence of very tall individuals after the flood indicate that they were related to the original Nephilim? That is not possible because no living, breathing creature survived the deluge. That was the whole point of it....and to use it as an indication of what the world would be like again when Christ was to return.
"For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be."
And here we are again, living in a violent and immoral world.....it is not without meaning to many Christians. The signs are all in evidence. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
Some within the cryptozoology field believe sasquatch are nephilim (or descendants of). They site things like: strength, height, supernatural abilities (tracks disappearing in the middle of no where, gliding stride, speed, 'clocking' and lack of dead bodies for examples), sightings from almost every continent and inability to be photographed (though, to be fair, there are photos and videos showing alleged bigfoot).
"Sasquatch" are still in the realms of myth until someone produces a physical body...(dead or alive) By all accounts this is an ape-like creature, not a human.
Cameras lie.....so we need physical proof that they exist....and even if they did, there would be no relationship to the Nephilim for all the reasons already mentioned.
Is it possible the nephys (my term) survived into modern day and are, in fact, cryptic creatures like bigfoot*?
Why or why not?

*Nephys could also be said to be reason for sightings of things like dogmen, goatmen, glimmerman, among others.
"Sightings" can be figments of people's overactive imaginations, and grainy images could be anything. People see pictures of all sorts of things in the clouds.....its the way our minds work. :google:
Always what I post is my opinion, according to my understanding.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 amIs it possible the nephys (my term) survived into modern day and are, in fact, cryptic creatures like bigfoot*?
The way I would personally splice the Biblical canon with reality is that the Nephilim were the Neanderthals. They weren't necessarily taller but they were definitely stronger. I would go a little more precise and say that perhaps the angels that sired them were the Neanderthals and that the Nephilim were early-generation Europeans and Asians, who to this day carry a small amount of Neanderthal blood, while other humans do not.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Jemima wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:38 pm
What do we see there? Who were these "sons of God"?.....in other parts of the Bible, they are identified as angels. In this case, rebel angels who had followed satan into a course of wickedness.
Chapter and verse please.

These materialized human form and took these women and had sex with them. They fathered a brood of violent bullies who were gigantic in size. And these, like their wicked fathers, were intent on gratifying their lust for sex and domination. Whereas the rebel angels are said to have fathered these creatures, there is no mention of the Nephilim reproducing.

This is probably hybridization, which is the end of a forced genetic line involving two creatures whom nature never meant to reproduce.

Because these were not "sons of Adam" they did not come under the future redemption of the human race by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. They had no right to exist and their presence on earth was catastrophic.
Who said they "had no right to exist"? Chapter and verse please.

God took steps to eliminate them...drastic steps, in that he had to also eliminate any hiding places for their errant fathers to inhabit. It is apparent that water was a barrier to them because nothing below the water was affected by the flood that God sent to destroy the Nephilim.
So you actually believe that marine animals (saltwater inhabitants) can live in fresh water. With few exceptions none of them can. Nor can more than a handful of freshwater species survive in saltwater. All of which is why Noah would have been required to take two of each aboard the ark, along with the dinosaurs, as some claim.

..................................... Image

That created nowhere for those rebel angels to go, but back to the spirit realm from which they had come, thereafter to be placed under restraint. (Jude 6) There is no mention of the demons being able to materialize ever again, though faithful angels continued to do so, bringing messages to God's faithful servants on earth.
Gotta tell ya, all this sounds as if it came straight from some fundie Sunday school class. Am I right or am I right? :)

Jemima
Student

Post #6

Post by Jemima »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 pm
What do we see there? Who were these "sons of God"?.....in other parts of the Bible, they are identified as angels. In this case, rebel angels who had followed satan into a course of wickedness.

These materialized human form and took these women and had sex with them. They fathered a brood of violent bullies who were gigantic in size. And these, like their wicked fathers, were intent on gratifying their lust for sex and domination. Whereas the rebel angels are said to have fathered these creatures, there is no mention of the Nephilim reproducing.

This is probably hybridization, which is the end of a forced genetic line involving two creatures whom nature never meant to reproduce.
Because these were not "sons of Adam" they did not come under the future redemption of the human race by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. They had no right to exist and their presence on earth was catastrophic.
Who said they "had no right to exist"? Chapter and verse please.
You would need a Bible study to answer all of those questions, because it is a Biblical story with a Biblical application.....would you like a Bible study? ;)
I addressed the topic from a Biblical perspective since it was a Biblical topic. You are free to do your own research.
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 pmSo you actually believe that marine animals (saltwater inhabitants) can live in fresh water. With few exceptions none of them can. Nor can more than a handful of freshwater species survive in saltwater. All of which is why Noah would have been required to take two of each aboard the ark, along with the dinosaurs, as some claim.
I am of the opinion that the oceans were created with salty water, (the reasons why are numerous) and that no amount of rain is going to make them "fresh". Do we see in any weather event, no matter how much unsalty flood water flows into the ocean, the marine creatures survive. All the flood waters did IMO, was enlarge the oceans and rain engulfed the land, which at that time may well have had no very high mountains. Mt Ararat is only a bit over 5,000M tall.

Over 70% of the earth's surface is covered by oceans. There was water above the earth's atmosphere, according to the creation account as well as underground water that was used in the flood. You don't think the Creator has the ability to flood the world? We are living in a closed system, so not a drop of water leaves earth's atmosphere by natural means. It is all perpetually recycled. A beautifully designed system.

Have you ever wondered where all that flood water might have gone?
Why are scientists concerned about global warming? The ice shelves in the polar regions are melting at an alarming rate, and the sea levels are already rising.....if all the water that forms the the polar ice caps melts, scientists say that the earth would again be flooded. So how did all that water that became frozen in the polar ice caps get there? Aren't the poles magnetic? Isn't water affected by magnetic forces?
What creates the tides on earth? Isn't it the magnetic pull of the moon? What if the flood created massive climate change by removing that water canopy that was above the atmosphere, and the water was drawn up to the polar regions and snap frozen? I am just speculating of course....but there is geological evidence that the world once enjoyed a more uniform climate.....so I think my speculation may not be far off. You are free to believe whatever you wish.
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 pm
That created nowhere for those rebel angels to go, but back to the spirit realm from which they had come, thereafter to be placed under restraint. (Jude 6) There is no mention of the demons being able to materialize ever again, though faithful angels continued to do so, bringing messages to God's faithful servants on earth.
Gotta tell ya, all this sounds as if it came straight from some fundie Sunday school class. Am I right or am I right? :)
Nah......not even close.......50 years of deep Bible study. It explains everything..... :approve:

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Jemima wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:33 am You would need a Bible study to answer all of those questions, because it is a Biblical story with a Biblical application.
Why? Do you know not whereof you speak? ......................... Evidently not.

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:22 pmSo you actually believe that marine animals (saltwater inhabitants) can live in fresh water. With few exceptions none of them can. Nor can more than a handful of freshwater species survive in saltwater. All of which is why Noah would have been required to take two of each aboard the ark, along with the dinosaurs, as some claim.
I am of the opinion that the oceans were created with salty water, (the reasons why are numerous) and that no amount of rain is going to make them "fresh".
Then the water would have wiped out 99.999% of all the freshwater species of fish, snails, bivalves, algae, cattails, water lilies, etc. etc. And there are extremely few aquatic species who are able to survive in a mix of the two: brackish water.

Do we see in any weather event, no matter how much unsalty flood water flows into the ocean, the marine creatures survive. All the flood waters did IMO, was enlarge the oceans and rain engulfed the land, which at that time may well have had no very high mountains. Mt Ararat is only a bit over 5,000M tall.
Ah, according to the tale, the water went much higher than just Mt. Ararat at 16,854′. It rose above the highest mountain on Earth, Mt. Everest at 29,032′.

Genesis 7:19-20
19 The water rose so much that even the highest mountains under the sky were covered by it. 20 The water continued to rise until it was more than 20 feet above the mountains.

And the amount of water necessary to reach such a height would have been absurdly enormous, like 197 million cubic miles of it.

................................ Image

And to think Mt Everest was significantly lower than its present height is simply too preposterous address. I suggest you educate yourself in the sciences a bit

Over 70% of the earth's surface is covered by oceans. There was water above the earth's atmosphere, according to the creation account as well as underground water that was used in the flood. You don't think the Creator has the ability to flood the world? We are living in a closed system, so not a drop of water leaves earth's atmosphere by natural means. It is all perpetually recycled. A beautifully designed system.
Okay. Considering the creator, your omnipotent god, could flood the world if he needed to, brings up the question of why he bothered to go to all the trouble he did in the first place. Does it really make sense that this omnipotent, omniscient god would got to the trouble of making sure all the animal, plant, and fungi species in the world would assemble in one place to make it aboard a wholly inadequate boat so they wouldn't drown in the 197 million cubic miles of water he put on Earth that would wipe out all life on Earth---save eight---when all he would have had to do is wave his magic finger and all the bad guys, and only the bad guys, would disappear?

And you want to know the kicker to the whole thing is? It didn't do a bit of good. "You don't even get an E for effort on this one, god. Go to the back of the class."

In every aspect the Flood Tale paints god as a real rum-dum, who doesn't deserve the adoration he basks in, but razz-berries for this waste of failed planning and energy.

Jemima
Student

Post #8

Post by Jemima »

Miles wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:10 am Considering the creator, your omnipotent god, could flood the world if he needed to, brings up the question of why he bothered to go to all the trouble he did in the first place. Does it really make sense that this omnipotent, omniscient god would got to the trouble of making sure all the animal, plant, and fungi species in the world would assemble in one place to make it aboard a wholly inadequate boat so they wouldn't drown in the 197 million cubic miles of water he put on Earth that would wipe out all life on Earth---save eight---when all he would have had to do is wave his magic finger and all the bad guys, and only the bad guys, would disappear?
There are valid Biblical reasons for all of those things.....but you'd need a Bible study to understand them....so I won't waste my time or yours.... :)

Have a good one....

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Edit for I think the nephili are monkeying around with the quotaters.
nobspeople wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 am Nephilim, in the Hebrew Bible, a group of mysterious beings or people of unusually large size and strength who lived both before and after the Flood.
Biblically speaking, that is impossible because the flood destroyed all air breathing life outside of the ark. So, back to the Bible for an explanation....
In considering whether these critters actually exist/ed, the bible'll be found no more reliable here than the rhymes of maternal geese.
The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis and Numbers and are possibly referred to in Ezekiel. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants” or taken to mean “the fallen ones” (from the Hebrew naphal, “to fall”), but the identity of the Nephilim is debated by scholars.
Scholars have been debating Biblical things for centuries...but what does the Bible itself tell us about the Nephilim?
Firstly their name, which means "fellers" or those who cause others "to fall".
"Fellers" is also a term for lumberjacks. Maybe Paul Bunyon was a nephili?
So who were these "giants" whose violence and licentiousness created a world where God had to intervene drastically to prevent his purpose from being derailed by their actions.
Genesis 6:1-2 (NASB)
"Now it came about, when mankind began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, 2 that the sons of God saw that the daughters of mankind were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose."
Ah yes, because the hen there has no choice but to be happy with the first rooster to come acalling.
What do we see there? Who were these "sons of God"?...
They can no more be shown sons of gods than any other biblical character can be shown to have ever drawn a breath.

Might as well try to pass em off as Jesus' brothers.
...in other parts of the Bible, they are identified as angels.
Meh. More unprovable claims best understood as folk tales.
In this case, rebel angels who had followed satan into a course of wickedness.
Ooh, "wickedness".

These tales are poorly written fanfiction.
These materialized human form and took these women and had sex with them.
Sex sales. Kinda hard to get adults interested in stories without at least mentioning sex.
They fathered a brood of violent bullies who were gigantic in size.
Ooh, "bullies".

This book couldn't be more cringe if it began, "It was a dark and stormy night".
And these, like their wicked fathers, were intent on gratifying their lust for sex and domination.
What is it about theists and their tales of lust, and sex, and domination?
Whereas the rebel angels are said to have fathered these creatures, there is no mention of the Nephilim reproducing. This is probably hybridization, which is the end of a forced genetic line involving two creatures whom nature never meant to reproduce.
Anyone happen to save the sheets? Maybe we can recover some genetic material and sort this out.
Because these were not "sons of Adam" they did not come under the future redemption of the human race by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
Some sacrifice... Dead on Friday, back to the office on Monday. Dude lost a weekend, others are losing their lives.
They had no right to exist and their presence on earth was catastrophic.
That's the kinda thinking that has folks flying planes into buildings.
God took steps to eliminate them...drastic steps, in that he had to also eliminate any hiding places for their errant fathers to inhabit.
Couldn't just wiggle his nose like Miss Samantha?
It is apparent that water was a barrier to them because nothing below the water was affected by the flood that God sent to destroy the Nephilim. That created nowhere for those rebel angels to go, but back to the spirit realm from which they had come, thereafter to be placed under restraint.
I'd pay good money to watch Barney Fife try to put hand cuffs on a ghost.
(Jude 6) There is no mention of the demons being able to materialize ever again, though faithful angels continued to do so, bringing messages to God's faithful servants on earth.
There's also been no confirmable evidence put forth to show they ever existed, so yeah, we shouldn't hold our breath thinking they'll come around "ever again".
Does the existence of very tall individuals after the flood indicate that they were related to the original Nephilim? That is not possible because no living, breathing creature survived the deluge.
There's been a deluge here alright, but not of water.
That was the whole point of it....and to use it as an indication of what the world would be like again when Christ was to return.
Ever notice how when Jesus returns, it's always on a piece of toast?
"For the coming of the Son of Man will be just like the days of Noah. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, 39 and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be."
And here we are again, living in a violent and immoral world.....it is not without meaning to many Christians. The signs are all in evidence. (2 Timothy 3:1-5)
The signs are all in evidence that all you're doing is putting up a copypasta and trying to pass it off as knowledge.
"Sasquatch" are still in the realms of myth until someone produces a physical body...(dead or alive) By all accounts this is an ape-like creature, not a human.
Then surely you'll now present one of these nepheli, that we can work towards confirming your, or the bible's claims, in this regard.
Cameras lie.....so we need physical proof that they exist....and even if they did, there would be no relationship to the Nephilim for all the reasons already mentioned.
The relationship would be that both bigfoot, and the nephili, are blurry.

If cameras lie, is it civil to say books and humans lie?

Snip remainder cause I couldn't sort out the quotaters.

In conclusion, we have no physical body, that we might show bigfeets to exist, so there's that.

But the nephili are so we'll documented, we know they interbred with humans, to the point of getting all lusty and having all that sex, and aw lawd how what a wicked bunch of domineering ne'er do wells they was.

Pretty thing'd make me sit in the corner if I tried to pass this nephili story off as anything other'n me being back on the shrooms again.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Jemima wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:55 am
Miles wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:10 am Considering the creator, your omnipotent god, could flood the world if he needed to, brings up the question of why he bothered to go to all the trouble he did in the first place. Does it really make sense that this omnipotent, omniscient god would got to the trouble of making sure all the animal, plant, and fungi species in the world would assemble in one place to make it aboard a wholly inadequate boat so they wouldn't drown in the 197 million cubic miles of water he put on Earth that would wipe out all life on Earth---save eight---when all he would have had to do is wave his magic finger and all the bad guys, and only the bad guys, would disappear?
There are valid Biblical reasons for all of those things.....but you'd need a Bible study to understand them....so I won't waste my time or yours.... :)
Ya, sure. This is obviously your default reply to any difficult issue, so in the future I won't expect anything more, and you needn't bother replying.

.............. Have a good day.