Nephilim

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Nephilim

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Nephilim, in the Hebrew Bible, a group of mysterious beings or people of unusually large size and strength who lived both before and after the Flood. The Nephilim are referenced in Genesis and Numbers and are possibly referred to in Ezekiel. The Hebrew word nefilim is sometimes directly translated as “giants” or taken to mean “the fallen ones” (from the Hebrew naphal, “to fall”), but the identity of the Nephilim is debated by scholars.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Nephilim

Some within the cryptozoology field believe sasquatch are nephilim (or descendants of). They site things like: strength, height, supernatural abilities (tracks disappearing in the middle of no where, gliding stride, speed, 'clocking' and lack of dead bodies for examples), sightings from almost every continent and inability to be photographed (though, to be fair, there are photos and videos showing alleged bigfoot).

Is it possible the nephys (my term) survived into modern day and are, in fact, cryptic creatures like bigfoot*?
Why or why not?

*Nephys could also be said to be reason for sightings of things like dogmen, goatmen, glimmerman, among others.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Jemima
Student

Re: Nephilim

Post #21

Post by Jemima »

brunumb wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:13 pm [Replying to Jemima in post #19]

Apart from the first one, the quotes you have attributed to me further down actually belong to Miles.
Please forgive the newby...I am still getting to know you..... 8-[
Always what I post is my opinion, according to my understanding.

DeMotts
Scholar

Post #22

Post by DeMotts »

Jemima wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 am
brunumb wrote:Considering the creator, your omnipotent god, could flood the world if he needed to, brings up the question of why he bothered to go to all the trouble he did in the first place.
God's first purpose was fantastic....he singled out one small planet out of a whole universe, to start the ball rolling with the creation of mortal, sentient creatures.....enclosed in an atmosphere containing all the right gases to facilitate oxygenation, and all the right foods that would promote growth and health, and a miraculous substance called water. So far not found anywhere else.
If you mean to imply that water hasn't been found anywhere else, water has been found on Mars, is likely present on Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Ceres, Pluto, and loads of comets. Even Mercury has water at the poles.

If you simply mean to imply that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life, I always find this line of reasoning so short sighted. Our sample size is tiny. Extending your hand in front of you in any direction and raising your thumb occludes roughly one quadrillion planets. Who are you to declare that you have absolute knowledge that nowhere else in the universe has conditions for life? You've done absolutely no work at all to prove that. What right have you to decide these things?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jemima wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 am ...
OK, I'm going to assume that you would like a Bible study and I will endeavor to make this as concise as possible...
Our problem here is bible claims're as unreliable as me making vows of chastity.

But I respect ya'd try to explain the bible thinking to folks. It's for sure the god involved couldn't be fussed to do him none of it.

I mean, God saw fit to ensure I got born allowing how to breath, but ain't it a cuss he didn't see fit to have me born knowing there's him and them nephili?

Nephili? They're the created monsters of the human mind. Just like God. None'll ever prove otherwise.

Preach your preachings, you'll never show your preachings're truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jemima
Student

Post #24

Post by Jemima »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:55 am
Jemima wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 am ...
OK, I'm going to assume that you would like a Bible study and I will endeavor to make this as concise as possible...
Our problem here is bible claims're as unreliable as me making vows of chastity.

But I respect ya'd try to explain the bible thinking to folks. It's for sure the god involved couldn't be fussed to do him none of it.

I mean, God saw fit to ensure I got born allowing how to breath, but ain't it a cuss he didn't see fit to have me born knowing there's him and them nephili?

Nephili? They're the created monsters of the human mind. Just like God. None'll ever prove otherwise.

Preach your preachings, you'll never show your preachings're truth.
Too late...I already have, but it wasn't really me....my teacher just used me to explain things to those who had ears to hear......shame to be born without ears then eh? :lalala: Still Jesus made the deaf hear, so its not too late....yet. ;)

Like I said before.....those who believe, need no proof...for those who don't believe, no proof will ever be enough.....no one can come to God without an invitation. (John 6:65)

Jemima
Student

Post #25

Post by Jemima »

DeMotts wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:20 pm
Jemima wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:29 am
brunumb wrote:Considering the creator, your omnipotent god, could flood the world if he needed to, brings up the question of why he bothered to go to all the trouble he did in the first place.
God's first purpose was fantastic....he singled out one small planet out of a whole universe, to start the ball rolling with the creation of mortal, sentient creatures.....enclosed in an atmosphere containing all the right gases to facilitate oxygenation, and all the right foods that would promote growth and health, and a miraculous substance called water. So far not found anywhere else.
If you mean to imply that water hasn't been found anywhere else, water has been found on Mars, is likely present on Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Ceres, Pluto, and loads of comets. Even Mercury has water at the poles.
No planet in sight of earth has the kind of water that we have. About 71% of the surface of our planet is water....yet not of the sort that supports terrestrial life. Land dwelling creatures require fresh water which just magically happens in the process of precipitation. Water evaporates from the oceans and is stored in the clouds to be drops as rain over land to keep millions of creatures alive.....just a fluke of nature? You can think so if you wish. :)

The desperate struggle to find water on any planet or moon is science's way to prove that life evolved and that other places in the universe MUST have some kind of even microscopic life. But if their theory is a fairy story, (which I believe it is) then no usable water, equals no life anywhere we can see.

"Water on planets in the Solar System

Mercury: Frozen water. More info

Venus: Basically no water at all. More info

Earth: Lots of water in all forms (liquid, ice, vapour).

Mars: Ice, trace amounts of vapour, possibly some liquid water underground. More info

Jupiter: Water in frozen and vapour form.

Saturn: Water in frozen and vapour form.

Uranus: Frozen water.

Neptune: Frozen water.

https://www.spacecentre.nz/resources/fa ... water.html

So unless these planets were once not frozen wastelands they would need somewhere for life to spring from. Did life spontaneously spring from water?
Do scientists know how life began to even imagine how life could exist on other planets?

"Living things are made up of cells and all cells have water in them. In fact, humans are made up of approximately 60 percent water. When cells freeze,
the water in them can rupture or break open the cells, which destroys them. Therefore, things that live in frigid temperatures usually have to come up with
a strategy to keep from freezing."

https://tbi.montana.edu/documents/Life- ... zone27.pdf

Have those cells, if they exist in "water" on "Mars, is likely present on Europa, Ganymede, Enceladus, Ceres, Pluto, and loads of comets" have any hope of ever coming out of their deep freeze? If so how would they have got there in the first place?
If you simply mean to imply that Earth is the only planet capable of supporting life, I always find this line of reasoning so short sighted. Our sample size is tiny. Extending your hand in front of you in any direction and raising your thumb occludes roughly one quadrillion planets. Who are you to declare that you have absolute knowledge that nowhere else in the universe has conditions for life? You've done absolutely no work at all to prove that. What right have you to decide these things?
Goodness, did I just insult your mother or something? :confused2:
My line of reasoning comes from years of reading things about astronomy.....I love the subject, but I am no expert. I have found a lot of speculation about a lot of things in the world of astronomy, but speculation is all it is. "Might be" or "could be" are not scientific terms, so my speculation based on the Bible (which I believe comes from the Creator of the Universe) could be just as feasible as your speculation about life existing "out there" somewhere.

Hypothesizing is what science does.....a hypothesis is not a fact.
https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019 ... ng-liquid/

I believe that we are the starting point and that the Creator has to get it all right here first before moving on to other planets, or whatever he has planned for his vast universe. I assume that he did not create it for nothing.....Image

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jemima wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:47 am ...
Too late...I already have, but it wasn't really me....my teacher just used me to explain things to those who had ears to hear...
Agreed. Ears are a proven way to hear. As thought is a proven way to avoid stepping into cow patties.
...shame to be born without ears then eh? :lalala:
If you wish to insult me by proposing I'm not listening, I propose to insult you by calling you an idiot.

Where idiot is defined as "Well ain't that it the most idiotic response ya ever did done heard tell of?"
Still Jesus made the deaf hear, so its not too late....yet. ;)
Only don't it beat all, Jesus didn't do him nothing to help you show you speak truth regarding this matter.
Like I said before.....those who believe, need no proof...for those who don't believe, no proof will ever be enough.....no one can come to God without an invitation. (John 6:65)
Only in religion does the truth hafta wait for an invitation.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #27

Post by brunumb »

Jemima wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 am Water evaporates from the oceans and is stored in the clouds to be drops as rain over land to keep millions of creatures alive.....just a fluke of nature?
No, just nature at work governed by things like physics and chemistry. Life forms evolve in response to the environment. The environment wasn't created to suit the life forms. If a giant meteor hadn't drastically changed the environment on Earth, the dinosaurs would probably have continued reigning for millions more years and humans may never have seen the light of day.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Jemima
Student

Post #28

Post by Jemima »

brunumb wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:34 am
Jemima wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:38 am Water evaporates from the oceans and is stored in the clouds to be drops as rain over land to keep millions of creatures alive.....just a fluke of nature?
No, just nature at work governed by things like physics and chemistry.
Who invented physics and chemistry? Just another fluke I guess?
Life forms evolve in response to the environment. The environment wasn't created to suit the life forms.
Who told you that? What proof do they have for this assertion? Is it possible that you believe something that can’t be proven? Did you know that nothing about evolution can be proven? It’s all based on assumption, conjecture and suggestion......throw in some jargon and all the science buffs feed on the same garbage.

Evolution is a “belief” based on nothing but “faith” in the writings of their “gods”.....who are found strutting about in their temples of higher learning. You don’t see it though, do you?
If a giant meteor hadn't drastically changed the environment on Earth, the dinosaurs would probably have continued reigning for millions more years and humans may never have seen the light of day.
So you indulge in fairy stories too then? What is the proof for this giant meteor that took out the dinosaurs?

That ‘all life evolved from a single cell and eventually became dinosaurs’, requires more imagination that anything the Bible says IMO. But you are free to believe whatever you wish and whomever you wish, if it makes you feel good. To me, creation screams of an intelligent Creator....it demonstrates careful planning, not a multitude of fortunate flukes....that would be like winning the lottery a million times in a row. When do you run out of probability?

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Jemima in post #28]
Who told you that? What proof do they have for this assertion? Is it possible that you believe something that can’t be proven? Did you know that nothing about evolution can be proven? It’s all based on assumption, conjecture and suggestion......throw in some jargon and all the science buffs feed on the same garbage.
The proof is in the fossil record (this does exist ... it isn't imaginary) and in the genetics work of the last 4-5 decades. Evolution can be seen directly every day ... how do you think the Delta variation for the covid-19 virus came about (just one example among many that could be used)? Mutations that enable it to better find hosts to survive and repdroduce itself is how, and this is generally how evolution by natural selection works. There is no assumption, conjecture and suggestion involved, or silly jargon. If you don't believe it, then you are simply ignoring the mountains of evidence that proves it (presumably because it disproves some religious stories of creation and the idea that humans are special). Simply stating that there is no evidence for evolution is sticking your head in the sand and refusing to see it right in front of you.

As for the water on other planets issue, Mars once had lots of liquid water on its surface which could have harbored life long ago. The surface pressure and temperature now are usually below the triple point of water so liquid water can't exist on the surface, but some large moons of planets have more water than Earth. For example, two of Jupiter's moons have more water than Earth:

https://www.businessinsider.com/water-s ... ns-2016-10

Whether simple life has ever existed on these moons (or Mars) we don't know yet, but it can't be dismissed because of old religious books describing creation stories that we know today cannot possibly be true (along with other stories like Noah's flood). What will you say if life is found on another planet of moon during your lifetime? Will you simply refuse to believe it as you do with the evidence for evolution?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Hmm. Unbelievers always seem to manage to allow the subject of God, the Bible, or theology (in general) to take up space in their heads.

Blows my mind.

That being said, to the subject; Nephilim.

I have a few things to say about them...

1. Biblically speaking, there isn't very much to go on (in depth) about them. From what is written, apparently, angels (demons) somehow were allowed to come on earth and take physical forms, and copulate with human beings, thus creating giant humans.

This is all very intriguing to think about, but that is really all we have to go on. Josephus mentions in his Antiquity of the Jews that these giants were also handsome in their facial features. Since we know so little, all we can do is speculate.

2. The account given by the twelve spies who were sent out to scout the new land, they stated that all the people who lived there were great in size. If you take their report at face value, that would mean that the entire civilization was filled with giants (men, women, and children). That must have been one heck of a sight.

3. I understand that most think that the land was rid of the giants after the Israelites took it over...but what does that say about Og, whose encounter with the Israelites was after the Canaan conquest? Remember, Og was a giant king who had a bed that was 13 ft long...and then we had Goliath who was also considered of massive size.

4. I'm not buying the Nephilim/Sasquatch link, which is completely unwarranted with no connection whatsoever.

Great topic, keep the convo going. :ok:
Venni Vetti Vecci!!