How much research is necessary?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

How much research is necessary?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

When someone mentions biblical contradictions, often times they're met with responses like:
"Well, if you read XYZ, you will see that what it really means is..."
"You have to understand the world they lived in at the time"
"What god really means is...."
"The original language says...."

It seems as though, many think that in order to understand the bible, you must first have to have a understanding of the time it was written, history, other biblical passages (which I personally find hysterical - you expect someone to read another part of the bible to understand a different part of the same bible?!?), have an 'innate' understanding of what god 'meant', knowledge of the language of origin, and on and on and on.

This is the bible.
It's god's word directly (or inspired if you believe that) and it's meant as a map to god and or christ (again, depending on what sect you want to believe).

So why can't the bible just be presented, as an all-in-one roadmap, instead of needing other references and understandings?
Surely god knew not everyone would have access to knowing the 'original language', have the ability to 'know' what god means instead of what's written, a understanding of the time of it writing, and on and on and on, right?

Should the bible be the best and only source needed to find christ, or should people actively look for other sources to find christ?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: How much research is necessary?

Post #41

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #37]
I would answer that those who read the Bible and are actively choosing not to accept Christ as Lord and Savior, should not concern themselves with Christian theology.
I would think those who are curious and not a believer (potentially yet) would need to concern themselves, as you seem to indicate.
Which, of course, creates questions like the one asked in the OP.
Additionally, when believers use the bible to try to change the lives of those not actively choosing to accept christ as lord and savior (your words) they have every right to challenge its authority.
I am not a Star Wars fan, so I could care less whether or not Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.
Spoiler? Thanks a lot!
Why do I care?
Only you can answer that: why do you? Or do you?
Why do you care?
Why would I not?
Last edited by nobspeople on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #42

Post by benchwarmer »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 am [Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #37]
I would answer that those who read the Bible and are actively choosing not to accept Christ as Lord and Savior, should not concern themselves with Christian theology.
I would think those who are curious and not a believe (potentially yet) would need to concern themselves, as you seem to indicate.
Additionally, when believers use the bible to try to change the lives of those not actively choosing to accept christ as lord and savior (your words) they have every right to challenge its authority.
I always find it amusing when Christians pull out the "You're not a Christian, so why do you care?" card. It almost seems like a tactic in that they hope we go away and stop pointing out all the issues in their theology.

What many don't seem to get is that many of us WERE Christians at one time. I debate Christian topics in hopes readers who are on the fence will get more perspectives than they will ever get from believers alone. I debate because I continually learn stuff from both Christians and non Christians. I debate because if someone doesn't push back, we end up with believers controlling education, science, government, etc. and making decisions based on holy books rather than reality. At the end of the day, everyone wants to find 'the truth'. We can only do that if we openly discuss anything and everything.

Christians should welcome the challenge and handily defeat us heathens with the help of the Holy Spirit. Our arguments should be so quickly and easily shown to be flawed that they would welcome all to see and take part.

What we typically get though is a lot of squirming, tap dancing, mental gymnastics, and a final appeal to just have faith and believe. No wonder some of them want us to go away.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:37 am [Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #37]
I would think those who are curious and not a believe (potentially yet) would need to concern themselves, as you seem to indicate.
I always find it amusing when Christians pull out the "You're not a Christian, so why do you care?" card. It almost seems like a tactic in that they hope we go away and stop pointing out all the issues in their theology.

What many don't seem to get is that many of us WERE Christians at one time. I debate Christian topics in hopes readers who are on the fence will get more perspectives than they will ever get from believers alone. I debate because I continually learn stuff from both Christians and non Christians. I debate because if someone doesn't push back, we end up with believers controlling education, science, government, etc. and making decisions based on holy books rather than reality. At the end of the day, everyone wants to find 'the truth'. We can only do that if we openly discuss anything and everything.

Christians should welcome the challenge and handily defeat us heathens with the help of the Holy Spirit. Our arguments should be so quickly and easily shown to be flawed that they would welcome all to see and take part.

What we typically get though is a lot of squirming, tap dancing, mental gymnastics, and a final appeal to just have faith and believe. No wonder some of them want us to go away.
As a proud former christianity, I agree totally.
I've always said christians should want to be challenged; they're right, so why not challenge it? Like a muscle, it only grows when it's worked.
But alas, humans are lazy creatures in general and are fine with sitting on their haunches and letting the world glide by - the easy way.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:57 pm The basic message of the bible is as I see it very very simple: from paradise lost to paradise regained. Many of its basic concepts are very simple (a loving Creator, a hope for a better world, his son with a message of "good news" of an end to suffering ...) ... a child could understand it.
The main basic concept I see where two people can very honestly read the Bible and take completely opposite messages is on pacifism; whether or not you're allowed to defend yourself or others with force or not. Turn the other cheek and meekness versus defending your own.

Now, I don't rule out that the Big Plan has this as intentional. There may be different answers for different people and each just sees what he needs to see. It complicates the issue but it would be a solution to any apparent problems. It's just a problem if there's one right and wrong and it's the same for everybody, which I admit, is a big assumption.

brunumb
Savant

Post #45

Post by brunumb »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 pm What we typically get though is a lot of squirming, tap dancing, mental gymnastics, and a final appeal to just have faith and believe.
And if they are really sitting on the truth it should stand up to any amount of scrutiny.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.