Experts vs. Conspiracy theories

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Experts vs. Conspiracy theories

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

In this day and age, people can find information in many places over the internet. My concern is that I suspect lots of people aren't good at discriminating between good and bad sources. Being able to know what good sources are helps to ensure that the information you're acquiring is accurate and credible.

Take covid-19 information, for instance. I've talked to many people who refuse to get the covid-19 vaccine based on various information they've heard and read about on the internet. When I question some of them by asking for their sources, I noticed that they tend to have bad sources. They might reference a lone doctor, one not even an expert in the field. They may reference a Youtube video or some post circulating on Facebook with a bunch of smart sounding info. strung together. I suspect we'd find the same problem when it comes to those that deny the validity of the theory of evolution. And more relevant to this section, I suspect we'd find the same problem when it comes to many of those who accept the the view that Jesus was a complete myth - the Christ Myth Theory. All of these things remind me of the people that tend to accept conspiracy theories.

For debate:
1. Is is wrong to read from non-expert sources?

2. For those of you who don't accept expert view, have you read the expert view to begin with? Or do you find that others who go against the experts tend to not even read expert views?

3. What ideas do you have to solve this big problem?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Experts vs. Conspiracy theories

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm 1. Is is wrong to read from non-expert sources?
I'm not against reading non-expert sources on important topics. But if you're going to do that then you should also read up on what the experts say, as well. Some times the experts are wrong. Some times the non-experts are right or they may come up with views and evidence that the experts might have overlooked or might not have covered. However, the expert sources should be given more weight since their explanations and views come with training and they are more informed. I'd only disagree with the experts or accept some of the points from non-experts when there is good logic and evidence to support the non-expert side.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm 2. Or do you find that others who go against the experts tend to not even read expert views?
I find this to be the case a lot, even on this forum. I don't want to mention names, but when someone tells me that the experts simply "believe" that Jesus was a historical person, then I have to scratch my head and wonder if that person understands historical methods. I question if they've read from any experts or if they even care. ARe they just simply reading or accepting information from sources that already supports their pre-existing views.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm 3. What ideas do you have to solve this big problem?
Start teaching critical thinking to kids in school. That's a start!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

So this is about questioning experts rather than conspiracy theories, so that's ok.

It is a good question. Sometimes experts or Authorities should be questioned. They question each other all the time. Bible apologists sometimes seem to think that 'Science' (broadly) works like a religion: a bunch of people say something in a book and we are supposed to believe it. They even call it 'Religionism'. As though they know that's not the rational or logical way to do it, and they know they don't do that as they also say 'Science is always changing its' mind'.

Obviously there is a sliding scale of consensus by experts about various hypotheses and ongoing areas of research. These do get firmed up by confirming data (or demolished :D ) and eventually we get a 'Scientific Law'. And a good bit of credence resides in those.

Of course, we have to guard against experts making pronouncements outside their field of expertise. A Phd in Molecular biology is not necessarily an expert in ancient history, so his Authority on whether the Nativity stories are real is no better than mine, frankly.

Bradskii
Student

Post #4

Post by Bradskii »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm Start teaching critical thinking to kids in school.
Nuff said. You have to start early. It's part of the curriculum in Autralia although I'm not sure how it's introduced in various schools.

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

Bradskii wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 am
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm Start teaching critical thinking to kids in school.
Nuff said. You have to start early. It's part of the curriculum in Autralia although I'm not sure how it's introduced in various schools.
Unfortunately, religious indoctrination usually starts way earlier. Later on, cognitive dissonance is enough to suppress any critical thinking skills.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #6

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Bradskii wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 am
I would love to teach critical thinking in schools, if only for the fun of chucking schoolchalk at the ones chewing gum at the back of the class.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to AgnosticBoy in post #1]
For debate:

2. For those of you who don't accept expert view, have you read the expert view to begin with? Or do you find that others who go against the experts tend to not even read expert views?

3. What ideas do you have to solve this big problem?
1) Wrong? It depends on what you're trying to get I think. If you want to 'hear all sides', might not be a bad idea. But if you're looking for informed sources, might want to stick with experts (but that begs the question, who is an expert?)

2) Most people are lazy and want to find sources that only prescribe to their ideal I've found

3) Better education, from the earliest age, is necessary. Public schools need to be taught science and math and not have to worry about poor behaving kids; leave the philosophy to colleges or churches or home dinner tables.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm ...
I think it is not wrong and I think it can be good to read different sources.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm2. For those of you who don't accept expert view, have you read the expert view to begin with? Or do you find that others who go against the experts tend to not even read expert views?
I don't accept claims on basis is it said by expert or not. For me the crucial things is who has best arguments, not who has the best title.
AgnosticBoy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 pm3. What ideas do you have to solve this big problem?
I solve this by looking who has the best reasoning and evidence to support the claim.

Bradskii
Student

Post #9

Post by Bradskii »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 pm
I solve this by looking who has the best reasoning and evidence to support the claim.
Or to reject it.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #10

Post by AgnosticBoy »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:14 pm 2) Most people are lazy and want to find sources that only prescribe to their ideal I've found
This is precisely what I suspect is the underlying psychology behind a lot of the conspiracy theorists thinking. It may also be selective, like when someone rejects the experts in certain cases but not in others. That may depend on the subject matter, whether we're dealing with historical matters, the Theory of Evolution, or some other matter.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.