Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Titus 2 - the best way to live

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Titus 2 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

7 In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

8 Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you.

9 Exhort servants to be obedient unto their own masters, and to please them well in all things; not answering again;

10 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things.

11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15 These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
I read this today and here are my thoughts

Topic - Thoughts
Christian Living - There is no such thing as Christian living, only Christian loving.
Slavery - We are slaves to Christ
Separate and Holy - Separate and Holy
Authority - From this position we have authority to speak.
Family - What a lovely vision of family life. Chad. Kings and Queens.
Power - This is a powerful way to live.
Goals- Vision for men and women at different ages. Aim for this.

Now the question for debate. Is this not the best way to live? Is that not a worthy goal for an old man or woman or young man and woman?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Titus 2 - the best way to live

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:45 am
Snip preaching
I read this today and here are my thoughts

Topic - Thoughts
Christian Living - There is no such thing as Christian living, only Christian loving.
I'll remember that the next time a pack of "loving" Christians seek to implement their brand of Sharia law.
Slaves to a !an that can't be shown to have existed? Sounds goofy to me.
I guess modesty ain't a factor.
My problem here is Christian attempts to hold authority over a woman's personal medical and reproductive decisions.
Lol "Chad".
If only Christians didn't seek to use their "power" to infect the public with their interpretation of how we should live.
Please ask your government representatives to push for adding eye care to the universal health care law "loving" Christians must surely be on the verge of enacting.
Now the question for debate. Is this not the best way to live? Is that not a worthy goal for an old man or woman or young man and woman?
I'm happy enough just getting drunk and chasing the pretty thing around the pool table.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

"Sounds Awful." (Marvin, the paranoid android; Hitch -hiker's guide to the Galaxy).

Well, give or take a few ideas, up for discussion, but I can already see and smell the Puritan costume, and a witch hunt ready to break out as the drop of a Bible.

Give me the Golden rule (and the Platinum Amendment - 'do your own thing - if you're not messing up anyone else's thing') rather than the Bible as a existential cookbook.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]
Topic - Thoughts

To each their own (hear that, some of you christians around the world).
But for me:
Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt, and returned it (thankfully I kept the receipt). No thank you

I will not willing be a slave to anyone or anything

Not being a christian, doesn't pertain to me

Some would call it arrogance. Who is right?

Family can be important to some; to some it's not. But it's always interesting (and sad) to me that some people seem to be determined to define everyone's family by their own definition (a family is XYZ not ABC, for example). One should be able to define family as it pertains to them, not everyone else.

There are many powerful ways to live as well.

Everyone has their own goals, ambitions, et al. No one should be telling others if their goals are right or wrong. People should be able to pick their own goals and strive to meet them if they wish.

This whole thing seems to smack of control, to varying degrees. But coming from the bible, it's not at all surprising. What is surprising, to me, is that many don't see this.
I suppose it's all about individual interpretation.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!