Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Judaism, Christianity and Islam dismissed with one meme

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Journal of Noah, day 12:
We’ve begun eating the dinosaurs to allay our hunger.

With my stomach thus calmed, I revisit the murder of Sephat and his family. I feel bad about killing Sephat, he worked forever building this boat, and was a good friend.
But what Satan commands, I must do.
Now lord Satan has asked me to write the story about how the world came to be and up to now…
I don’t know, I’m just going to make it up.
Topic for debate – God was defeated by Satan everywhere else, is there any way to show this isn’t also true? (According to the religion, that is...)
That Noah was one of the evil hosts that, like Satan in the Garden, or Satan wit Job, he simply instructed one of his people (Noah) to take the place of God's good family.

After all evil survived the flood...

Doesn't the concept that the person surviving the flood being evil and corruptible demonstrate the entire Abrahamic religion is false?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Judaism, Christianity and Islam dismissed with one meme

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 pm
brunumb wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:23 pm Evil is basically same as emptiness or darkness, it is really nothing, it is the lack of good. Can emptiness be destroyed?
Is that out of "The Giant Omnibus of Christian Loopholes"?
No, it is just logically so. Evil means person doesn't do good, therefore it can be seen as lack of good, emptiness or darkness.
Repeating that doesn't make it any less wrong. You are merely clutching at straws trying to prop up a failed argument.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by Purple Knight »

Willum wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 amDo you realize it is no sin to do God’s will, and the only possible application of freewill s to sin.
I basically agree with this, which is why I don't want my free will.

To be fair, I don't just have this problem with religion; I have this problem with every other human being on the planet.

People: It's okay, whatever you think about it, it's okay. It's your opinion. All opinions are valid.
Purple Knight: I think this way about it.
People: You're bad and you should feel bad!

People do this to me constantly. They invite me to have an opinion only to tell me my opinion is wrong. Don't invite me to have an opinion then. I didn't ask to play this game. Just make me a moral robot that gets the right answer.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:30 am
Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:15 pm

There's a fourth option if God is really omnipotent. It deals with those of us who don't want our free will.
Yes indeed. All human life are deemed by the God of the bible* as being inseprable from free will (as per the dictionary definition of the word). Biblically then, the solution for any human that does not want life under such a condition it for them to give it back or wait for God to take it.

By dying or being killed the "problem" will be solved.
This is another example of something you can't dictionary your way out of. God could absolutely make me a moral robot if he wanted to. You can define life as inseparable from free will, but all you've done is define what I want as non-life, then equate that with being dead after having died. I don't want to be dead. I just want to be a moral robot, and a prisoner in my own head, unable to act.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #63

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 pm God could absolutely make me a moral robot if he wanted to.
Yes absolutely, biblically he COULD... however according to scripture* he has not done so. Therefore scripturally the only way out of this "dilema" would be to kill yourself or wait for him to kill you¤.

¤ "you" as in someone (ie general you)

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 pm I don't want to be dead. I just want to be a moral robot, and a prisoner in my own head, unable to act.
Well I suppose you could go back to the beginning of infinity, make yourself an omniipoent Almighty uncreated CREATOR , and then make all your wishes reality.

Let me know how you get on,

JW

* NOTE : I am MENTIONING the bible but I am not presenting the bible as authorative, (and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum)See LINK for details:
viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:39 pm God could absolutely make me a moral robot if he wanted to.
Yes absolutely, biblically he COULD... however according to scripture* he has not done so. Therefore scripturally the only way out of this "dilema" would be to kill yourself or wait for him to kill you¤.
Well, that wouldn't make me a moral robot. What I'm not understanding is if my free will, my choice, is so very very valuable, then why am I stuck with it? If my choice, my flawed choice that can only ever be more wrong than God, is so important, then why is not wanting that choice not a valid choice?

Going around murdering is a valid choice. Rape is a valid choice. Choice itself is of such importance that no matter how horrid, any choice is allowed, even very, very wrong ones.

To me, in order to hold choice so highly, you can't disallow any choice, even the choice that I don't want my choices.

I'm saying that I don't have free will because I cannot choose to throw it away. Precluding that choice is the same as precluding murder or rape. It is in violation of free will. If it is so important for me to have the choice to rape, because without the ability to choose wrongly there is no choice, then I must have the choice to discard my free will also.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:55 pm
Well, that wouldn't make me a moral robot.

No but it would be the only way to not be what you were created to be. There is no other option : live how God created you to live or don't live how God created you to live. Obliging God to make you different is not on the table. Sorry.

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pm What I'm not understanding is if my free will, my choice, is so very very valuable, then why am I stuck with it?
Who said you can choose to have free will or not? Biblically, you have as much freedom to choose not to have free will as you have to choose to be an antelope. Free will (as in the ability to make choices) is not to be confused with the ability to choose anything.
In short, you cannot choose not to have free will but you can choose not to live with the free will that has been "imposed" on you.
There's an "out clause" its called suicide.

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:40 pmIf my choice... is so important, then why is not wanting that choice not a valid choice?
Emphasis MINE

It is a valid choice. What you do about your choice is up to you. See above.

JW
* PS : I am MENTIONING the biblical view but I am not presenting the bible as authorative, (and have no intention to add an argument to that end in this subforum)See LINK for details:
viewtopic.php?p=1050358#p1050358
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #66

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 pm No but it would be the only way to not be what you were created to be. There is no other option : live how God created you to live or don't live how God created you to live. Obliging God to make you different is not on the table. Sorry.
Our problem here is in trying to figure out how a god we can't show exists to have created us'd care how we live.
Who said you can choose to have free will or not? Biblically, you have as much freedom to choose not to have free will as you have to choose to be an antelope. Free will (as in the ability to make choices) is not to be confused with the ability to choose anything.
"Biblically" we're sposed to stone the homos. I wouldn't hold too close to what the bible declares a good way to be.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Willum
Savant

Post #67

Post by Willum »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:21 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pmNope, no if in this claim.
Fair enough I retract the original claim.

My new response is as follows ....
Willum wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:28 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #31]

So you are saying God is helpless in the face of Satan's efforts.
if an omnipotent God exists, then by definition (ie this opinion is based on a logical conclusion from the dictionary meaning of the word) there can be nothing He is "helpless" before.

JW

RELATED POSTS

WHY : What was the purpose of the flood?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 13#p874813

Why did God destroy the Nephelim?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 90#p875690

Why did the flood of Noahs day fail to eliminate evil?
viewtopic.php?p=1050342#p1050342

To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

ARMAGEDDON, .THE PERMISSION OF EVIL and ... THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY
You are not allowed to assume the omnipotent, in order to prove a fairytale.

Assumption denied.

Willum
Savant

Post #68

Post by Willum »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #51]

He spoke about free will, the problem with free will is: the only practical application of free will is to sin.

If we didn’t have free will, we couldn’t sin.
Since we did have free will, even in the case of Adam and eve, we did sin.

The fairytale remains dismissed.

Willum
Savant

Post #69

Post by Willum »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #57]

Apparently you didn’t read the original post.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #70

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 pmWho said you can choose to have free will or not? Biblically, you have as much freedom to choose not to have free will as you have to choose to be an antelope. Free will (as in the ability to make choices) is not to be confused with the ability to choose anything.
Well, I have to be able to choose anything evil. Start taking away my ability to rape or murder and we know at least that if all evils are taken off the board, that's not the sort of free will God wants human beings to have. The whole point is that we can do bad things. The question is, does everyone need to have the ability to do just one singular bad thing? Or do all the sins have to be on the board?

Now, if all we need is just the ability to commit one sin, then everyone has the ability to commit blasphemy and done. We no longer need the ability to rape or murder. God's test that we can sin and don't would be satisfied if we couldn't hurt each other at all, so we wouldn't need that ability. Since we do possess those abilities we can deduce that just having the ability to commit one sin isn't enough.

If we're taking the Christian canon as true, it doesn't seem like a coincidence to me that aside from the crippled, the things we can't do, don't have a lot to do with evil. We can't fly, levitate automobiles, or throw buildings over the moon, but none of those things are inherently evil; they could be either good or evil depending on the situation. We could use telekinesis to hurt people, but thanks to being able to hurt people without it, we don't need telekinesis.

If the choice to give up all choices is a unique sin, it could be a necessary one.
Willum wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am [Replying to Purple Knight in post #51]

He spoke about free will, the problem with free will is: the only practical application of free will is to sin.

If we didn’t have free will, we couldn’t sin.
Since we did have free will, even in the case of Adam and eve, we did sin.

The fairytale remains dismissed.
It's not dismissed, it's just a question of God being one of those people who says they value personal choice (and perhaps does) but in reality there is one right answer so the true value of choice to that person is questionable.

Seeing as how most people I know do this, I think the fairytale has a lot of elements that mesh with reality, since humans being created in God's image is one of the plot points.

People will pretend they value individuality and choice, and perhaps they do, but in reality they have one right answer in mind and you're worthless if you don't come to it. I have a family member whose catchphrase is that all opinions are valid, but who simultaneously thinks it's basically a demonic act to vote Republican. I think you can't have it both ways, but perhaps I'm wrong.