Deathbed confessions - is it fair?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Deathbed confessions - is it fair?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Of course, they saying goes, 'life's not fair'. Which is true it would seem looking around.
Two scenarios:
1) There are people who, for the entire lives, try to be christian, try to follow god, live a righteous life, not sin, learn more about god, devote their lives to god, and on and on. Yet, many times, they struggle. They sin.
2) There are people who do bad things their entire life. Steal, kill, lie, discount god, reject christ, and on and on.

Person 1 lived decades ( most of their life) as a christian, doing all the things they're supposed to do, not do what they're not supposed to do, accept christ, and on and on. Yet, they doubt and decide they were honestly wrong. They don't purposefully shun or curse god, but they simply fall away. Then they die.

Person 2 lived a sinful life but, on their deathbed, confessed and accepted christ*. Then they die.

Some would say person 1 won't make it to heaven while person 2 will.

Is that fair? Not in 'is life fair' concept, but with dealing with god: is it fair that a person, who spent the vast majority of their life as a actual, functioning, real christian, then decides they were wrong, not get to heaven when the other person was a sinful nightmare for the vast majority of their life then, knowing they are dying, confesses and gets into heaven at the last possible minute?

* By whatever means your sect says is proper, and we are to assume person 2 was honest with their confession.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Deathbed confessions - is it fair?

Post #31

Post by Miles »

Eloi wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:21 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]
This is the account:

Luke 23:39 Then one of the criminals hanging there began to speak abusively to him, saying: “You are the Christ, are you not? Save yourself and us too!” 40 In response the other rebuked him, saying: “Do you not fear God at all, now that you have received the same judgment? 41 And we rightly so, for we are getting back what we deserve for the things we did; but this man did nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said: “Jesus, remember me when you get into your Kingdom.” 43 And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise.”

When I hear the expression "deathbed confession" I imagine something very different from what I read in this story. I don't need anyone's interpretation of the facts ... I can read them directly from the Bible myself.
Yup, Christians can interpret bible verses however they want, which is why today Christianity has splintered into over a "staggering 45,000 denominations globally," with more than 200 in the USA: It's almost a To-Each-His-Own religion. Just as god wanted it I suspect.

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

:warning: Moderator Warning

Personal comments are against forum rules.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Eloi wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:23 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]
What is your point? If you want to play any game, it sounds so when I read your last posts, just don't .. I am too old for that. Get a life.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm Of course, they saying goes, 'life's not fair'. Which is true it would seem looking around.
Two scenarios:
1) There are people who, for the entire lives, try to be christian, try to follow god, live a righteous life, not sin, learn more about god, devote their lives to god, and on and on. Yet, many times, they struggle. They sin.
2) There are people who do bad things their entire life. Steal, kill, lie, discount god, reject christ, and on and on.

Person 1 lived decades ( most of their life) as a christian, doing all the things they're supposed to do, not do what they're not supposed to do, accept christ, and on and on. Yet, they doubt and decide they were honestly wrong. They don't purposefully shun or curse god, but they simply fall away. Then they die.
More threads, huh?

This post assumes that all those who were once Christians, were Christians. This is not what the Bible teaches.

The Bible is clear, that a true believer does not "fall away" in the sense of (unbelief).

1 John 2:19

"They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us."

And you said that "they doubt and decide they were honestly wrong".

Well, they were wrong about being honestly wrong.

And two wrongs don't make a right.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:25 pm Person 2 lived a sinful life but, on their deathbed, confessed and accepted christ*. Then they die.

Some would say person 1 won't make it to heaven while person 2 will.

Is that fair? Not in 'is life fair' concept, but with dealing with god: is it fair that a person, who spent the vast majority of their life as a actual, functioning, real christian, then decides they were wrong, not get to heaven when the other person was a sinful nightmare for the vast majority of their life then, knowing they are dying, confesses and gets into heaven at the last possible minute?

* By whatever means your sect says is proper, and we are to assume person 2 was honest with their confession.
3 things..

1. How much faith is needed.
2. How genuine is your faith.
3. How much does past transgressions play a factor.

1. How much faith is needed: In your Person 2 scenario, if that person had sincere/genuine faith in Christ, then that person is saved; deathbed confession and all.

Jesus said all it takes is for a person to have the faith of a grain of mustard seed in order to command mountains to move (Matt 17:20), which is relatively small. So, all it takes is a little faith, and God will accept it.

However, most unbelievers won't even give that much :?

2. How genuine is your faith: As small as your faith may be, even the smallest of faith must be genuine. It must be sincere. God does not accept fake love. God does not accept fake faith. It is the genuineness of faith that can make even the smallest of faith grow muscles.

So, genuine small faith will do...as in the case with the thief on the cross who was crucified along with Jesus. He expressed small faith in Jesus, on his deathbed, and received the gift of Paradise with the Almighty that same day. (Luke 23:39-43).

Which brings..

3. How much does past transgressions play a factor: No. It didn't play a factor with the thief (see above), it didn't play a factor with Paul, who was a persecutor of Christians before his conversion, and it didn't play a factor with Zacchaeus (Luke 19:8).

"It aint about where you come from; it is about where you currently are, and what direction you are going in". -Calvin: Scared Straight 99.

As far as Person 1 is concerned...that is equivalent to the young, body building Arnold Schwarzenegger, who won Mr. Olympia and Mr. Universe multiple times.

But lets say that nowadays, he is a current 400lb diabetic on the very of getting his leg amputated due to nerve neuropathy.

Again..

"It aint about where you come from; it is about where you currently are, and what direction you are going in".

Those Mr. Olympia titles don't mean anything now, once he steps on the scale.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #33]
More threads, huh?
I'm happy I can give you something to occupy your time :approve:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!