CHRISTIANS: Are you under the law or not?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

CHRISTIANS: Are you under the law or not?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

Christians:
Are you under the law or not?

1) I hear Christians say they are not under the law. That it is done away with. Is that true?

The sacrificial system is in the book of the laws.
What makes you think you have protection under the law? Laws which you deny? YOU HAVE NO PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW. You cant offer Jesus or anything as a sacrifice.

2) Did you read about what God demands for a sacrifice to be accepted?

Any if Jesus' blood sprinkled on the alter? NO
You think a sacrifice in a disgusting place like Golgotha is fitting for God? You wouldnt let your dog sleep in such a place. But for an offering to God you are cool with it. Yes? Thats okay?

DOES THE LAW STAND OR DOESN'T IT?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: CHRISTIANS: Are you under the law or not?

Post #31

Post by Athetotheist »

:!: [Replying to tam in post #30
All it says is... 'after that time'.

It does not state 'all at once for everyone ever'.
"This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the Lord.

The covenant is to be made after that time. But what is the covenant?

"....they will all know me".

Until all Israel knows, there isn't yet a new covenant.

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm But that covenant can't be established until there's no more need for teaching. That's how the covenant is described in Jeremiah,...
Sorry, I don't think that is correct understanding of the Jeremiah. I think it means, when law is put in their minds there will be no reason to teach, because the people know already.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #33

Post by Athetotheist »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm But that covenant can't be established until there's no more need for teaching. That's how the covenant is described in Jeremiah,...
Sorry, I don't think that is correct understanding of the Jeremiah. I think it means, when law is put in their minds there will be no reason to teach, because the people know already.
I should clarify:

The law being put into their hearts and there being no more need to teach is what it takes to establish the new covenant. It hasn't happened.

Savant

Post #34

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:03 pm ...
The law being put into their hearts and there being no more need to teach is what it takes to establish the new covenant. It hasn't happened.
Ok, I think it has happened to all of those who received what Jesus said. His words can make the change and after it, person is righteous. (Because of the scriptures in post Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 am).

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by Athetotheist »

1213 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 am
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:03 pm ...
Ok, I think it has happened to all of those who received what Jesus said. His words can make the change and after it, person is righteous. (Because of the scriptures in post Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:34 am).
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but in the text the promise is made to the houses of Israel and Judah, who were led "out of Egypt". Christian churches may call themselves the new Israel, but that's a circular argument; it's what Christian scripture calls them.

Also, why do churches still engage in teaching if the new covenant has been established and teaching is no longer needed?

Savant

Post #36

Post by 1213 »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 am ...
Also, why do churches still engage in teaching if the new covenant has been established and teaching is no longer needed?
By what I see, churches don’t teach about the new covenant, and I don’t think many people in Church have even received that new covenant.

tam
Savant

Post #37

Post by tam »

Peace again to you!
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:03 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:13 pm
I should clarify:

But it has happened for those who are in the new covenant.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)