Marrying outside your religion

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Marrying outside your religion

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Both sets of my grandparents were raised (one set firmly religious [baptist], the other set not so much) that marrying outside one's religion is wrong. They were provided biblical evidence to the effect (per them - I was never privy to that information).
The 'not so religious' set of grandparents said marrying outside one's religion was wrong, but didn't say or do much once their kids married outside their religion.
My 'firmly religious' grandparents forbade marrying outside their religion.
For both sets of grandparents, same is said when it comes to race.

I have two aunts (one from each set of grandparents) that dated outside their religion and race. Neither set of their parents liked it, but the 'firmly religious' set were not so silently irate, saying and doing this to dissuade their daughter from continuing the relationship long, while the other set just 'didn't like it', not saying or doing much.

My parents (moderately religious) didn't like my brother dating a Jewish girl: "How would their kids be raise?!" was a conversation I heard them having more than once.

Religiously, is it wrong to marry outside one's religion and or race?
Why or why not?

Here's a story about the issue
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/parents ... 31387.html
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Marrying outside your religion

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:51 pm ...
Why or why not?
In Biblical point of view there is only one human race. And at least for Christian there is no restriction to marry outside the religion. However, it can lead to many difficulties if the values are very different. That is why I think it would be wise to choose person who has same values.

EJ1972

Post #3

Post by EJ1972 »

This shouldn't be an issue neither for the church or your beliefs. It isn't a sin or anything wrong unless the second person forces his/her own religion. It's difficult to reach an agreement in some cases when religion is involved. The most important thing for me is to share as many views as possible. Thanks to that there's a smaller chance for disagreements creating problems caused by different beliefs.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:14 pm
Why or why not?
In Biblical point of view there is only one human race. And at least for Christian there is no restriction to marry outside the religion. However, it can lead to many difficulties if the values are very different. That is why I think it would be wise to choose person who has same values.
Why do you think some feel that marrying a different race or someone of a different religion is wrong - sometimes sinful? Would be religious or racial indoctrination, fear of the unknown, fear of being 'turned' (in the case of religion), or something else entirely?

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:59 am
1213 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:14 pm
Why or why not?
Why do you think some feel that marrying a different race or someone of a different religion is wrong - sometimes sinful? Would be religious or racial indoctrination, fear of the unknown, fear of being 'turned' (in the case of religion), or something else entirely?
I don’t know why someone would speak about different races of people. I think there is no different human races. But, maybe the reason to choose from same culture is essentially the same values. Person from different culture has different values and habits, which can cause troubles, especially if they are conflicting.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:51 pm Both sets of my grandparents were raised (one set firmly religious [baptist], the other set not so much) that marrying outside one's religion is wrong. They were provided biblical evidence to the effect (per them - I was never privy to that information).
My criteria is they gotta be a girl, ugly or not. And if they're ugliern me, they gotta buy the beer.
The 'not so religious' set of grandparents said marrying outside one's religion was wrong, but didn't say or do much once their kids married outside their religion.
My 'firmly religious' grandparents forbade marrying outside their religion.
For both sets of grandparents, same is said when it comes to race.
It's kinda a good thing we'd hold to standards, it's just kinda goofy when them standards're goofy.
I have two aunts (one from each set of grandparents) that dated outside their religion and race. Neither set of their parents liked it, but the 'firmly religious' set were not so silently irate, saying and doing this to dissuade their daughter from continuing the relationship long, while the other set just 'didn't like it', not saying or doing much.
If one of my grandgirls found fancy with a Republican, I'd hafta shoot either her or him, depending on which one mostly loudly derided a "stolen election". And if It was him to tell it loudest, I'd still hafta shoot her too, on principle. Not to kill, just to send a message.
My parents (moderately religious) didn't like my brother dating a Jewish girl: "How would their kids be raise?!" was a conversation I heard them having more than once.
Dating a Jewish girl must surely be better'n dating one of them MAGA zealots. Can you imagine dating a chick who's dooficity is only outshone by the beauty of her cascading blond tresses? You can't tell if ya need to punch her or poke her. And ya know, in your soul, ya really just wanna do the one. But ya can't tell which.
Why or why not?
Ever been in that kinda relationship where she just loves her some bacon, and you got sueys at your disposal? It's just embarrassing all I can do is watch.
Who can trust em anyone, who'd hush em up a yodeler?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #6]
Who can trust em anyone, who'd hush em up a yodeler?
Not sure what this may mean, really. :confused2:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

EJ1972 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:02 am This shouldn't be an issue neither for the church or your beliefs. It isn't a sin or anything wrong unless the second person forces his/her own religion. It's difficult to reach an agreement in some cases when religion is involved. The most important thing for me is to share as many views as possible. Thanks to that there's a smaller chance for disagreements creating problems caused by different beliefs.
How do you (or do you) then justify 2 Corinthians 6:14: not to be ''unequally yoked'' with unbelievers? Light and darkness cannot be in fellowship. christ and satan cannot work together. Christians are god's temples on earth since his spirit lives in them, some say.