Apologetic Best Practices?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

bluegreenearth
Guru

Apologetic Best Practices?

Post #1

Post by bluegreenearth »

Does the discipline of Christian apologetics have recommended best practices for its theistic practitioners?

If so, what are those best practices?

Are they demonstrably effective?

Could they be improved upon?

If so, what improvements are needed?

Do you have a recommendation for a new best practice or for improving an existing best practice?

All proposed answers to the above questions should be open for debate.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: Apologetic Best Practices?

Post #21

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:51 pm The term "best practices" refers to any techniques which have been accepted as superior because they consistently achieve superior results and have become recognized as a reliable operating standard. So, the OP is not inquiring about the public or private ceremonial religious practices of believers if that is what triggered your objection. Does that clarification resolve your concern?
It was an unwarranted clarification, because the former part of what you said is the target of my objection.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:15 pm If believers were only using apologetics to 'preach to the choir' with other believers, then I say have at it.
:approve:
However, we all know that the ultimate goal of apologetics is to convince the unbeliever to become a believer.
That is the ultimate goal, yes. But in the meantime, we will continue rebutting critiques and dispelling falsehoods.
At that point, it becomes the concern of the unbeliever.
Point granted. Still doesn't answer why an unbeliever is focused on the best practices of an apologist.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #23

Post by bluegreenearth »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:00 pm It was an unwarranted clarification, because the former part of what you said is the target of my objection.
If the roles were reversed, would it be objectionable for you to inquire about the best practices of unbelievers or does the objection only apply in one direction?

brunumb
Savant

Post #24

Post by brunumb »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:33 pm I object to unbelievers concerning themselves with the practices of believers.
That is very much a two-way street. It would be nice if believers didn't spend so much effort on trying to inflict their beliefs and practices onto the rest of society. Gather in your churches, eat and drink the body and blood of Christ, avoid marrying someone of the same gender, don't get blood transfusions, shun the apostates, don't have an abortion, ......... and leave the rest of us alone.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

bluegreenearth wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:01 pm
If the roles were reversed, would it be objectionable for you to inquire about the best practices of unbelievers or does the objection only apply in one direction?
I dont recall inquiring about the best practices of unbelievers.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

brunumb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:04 pm
That is very much a two-way street. It would be nice if believers didn't spend so much effort on trying to inflict their beliefs and practices onto the rest of society. Gather in your churches, eat and drink the body and blood of Christ, avoid marrying someone of the same gender, don't get blood transfusions, shun the apostates, don't have an abortion, ......... and leave the rest of us alone.
Wow. I actually agree (theoretically) with your contention.

HOWEVER, we are commanded by Christ to make disciples of all nations and to become fishers of men (by drawing them in) to Christ.

If you wish to be left alone, then your wish should be our command.

I am against preaching, unless it is to the choir...and I am definitely against inflicting Christian beliefs on non-Christians (people who reject the Gospel).

So, the compromise is; we do as commanded by Christ and those that reject, let them reject and that be the end of it?

Cool?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #27

Post by bluegreenearth »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:22 pm I dont recall inquiring about the best practices of unbelievers.
Is it an apologetic best practice to avoid answering a direct question?

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:03 am
Is it a an unbelievers best practice to ask loaded questions?
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #29

Post by bluegreenearth »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:23 am
bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:03 am
Is it a an unbelievers best practice to ask loaded questions?
The question directly and logically follows from your objection. So, a refusal to respond can be interpreted to indicate an awareness that the answer to the question will expose a fallacy in your reasoning.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:44 am
The question directly and logically follows from your objection. So, a refusal to respond can be interpreted to indicate an awareness that the answer to the question will expose a fallacy in your reasoning.
Again, back to my original point; nonbelievers should not concern themselves with the practices of apologists, nor anything related to theology.

If you are so gung ho about the nonexistence of god and dont view the Bible as credible and/or authoritative (and certainly uninspiring), then to spend any measurable amount of time on religious forums discussing and concerning yourself with such topics is..in my opinion, a waste of time.

That is just the way I feel.

I dont care anything for Star Wars or Star Trex...and the day I sign up to a forum related to the two or concern myself with either program is a day that will never come.

You people, on the other hand..

It is like "I dont believe in souls; but where do souls come from"?

Makes no sense.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!