Evolution, the watermelon and education

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Evolution, the watermelon and education

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

On a recent podcast, I listened to a 'devout christian' from a 'devout christian family' (his terminology - even though he also spoke about getting drunk a couple years prior while in high school, which struck me as not very devout, but that's an altogether different topic) say he didn't believe in evolution.
His reasoning was as follows (paraphrased):
'I heard [insert someone's name I don't remember here] say that evolution says humans are 99.8% the same as chimps and we're also 98 % water, just like a watermelon. So evolution doesn't make sense if we're the same as a chimp and a watermelon!'

Frightening, really.

The immense failure on his education is obvious. But, in theory, this 'understanding' of evolution could be something that contributes to the disconnect between some religious groups and things like science, common sense, logic.

For discussion*:
Is this lack of understanding of things like science, common sense, logic, and on and on, something that christianity fosters purposefully?
Or is it christianity that preys on people with an innate ability (or want) to educate themselves?
Or is it all the media perpetuating the myth that 'christians typically aren't intelligent'?

*Note that this isn't something that is only found within christianity. But as this is a christian based forum...well... here we are.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Evolution, the watermelon and education

Post #11

Post by Athetotheist »

evolution says humans are 99.8% the same as chimps and we're also 98 % water, just like a watermelon. So evolution doesn't make sense if we're the same as a chimp and a watermelon!'

Actually, it does make sense since chimps are also 98% water......

Sorry, I couldn't resist.