Evolution, the watermelon and education

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Evolution, the watermelon and education

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

On a recent podcast, I listened to a 'devout christian' from a 'devout christian family' (his terminology - even though he also spoke about getting drunk a couple years prior while in high school, which struck me as not very devout, but that's an altogether different topic) say he didn't believe in evolution.
His reasoning was as follows (paraphrased):
'I heard [insert someone's name I don't remember here] say that evolution says humans are 99.8% the same as chimps and we're also 98 % water, just like a watermelon. So evolution doesn't make sense if we're the same as a chimp and a watermelon!'

Frightening, really.

The immense failure on his education is obvious. But, in theory, this 'understanding' of evolution could be something that contributes to the disconnect between some religious groups and things like science, common sense, logic.

For discussion*:
Is this lack of understanding of things like science, common sense, logic, and on and on, something that christianity fosters purposefully?
Or is it christianity that preys on people with an innate ability (or want) to educate themselves?
Or is it all the media perpetuating the myth that 'christians typically aren't intelligent'?

*Note that this isn't something that is only found within christianity. But as this is a christian based forum...well... here we are.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Evolution, the watermelon and education

Post #2

Post by Miles »

As I see it:

In as much as science and reason can be two of Christianity's biggest flies in its holy water, the poorly educated don't see them as much of friend to their religion. In fact, I've sometimes seen them regard science and reason as foes of Christianity. So I don't see Christianity as purposely fostering any such lack of understanding, but rather the kind of folk it attracts---not to say the religion doesn't attract well educated reasonable people as well, but the well educated typically don't get caught up in the illogical meanderings of the struggling the mind. Then, of course, there are those preachers who purposely prey on the mind and pocket book of the gullible and poorly educated, often holding science up to ridicule because it's a handy target, but these rip-off-artists are the exception and are detested by most everyone else, even other Christians.

So, as I say, I don't see Christianity purposefully fostering a lack of understanding of things like science, common sense, and logic on its followers, but something it will take advantage of, sometimes on purpose and sometimes out of ignorance. Ministers have never struck me as being any better informed about the world than your average educated church goer. Typically, it's their position of authority and not any sound reasoning that gives their pronouncements any ring of truth, and this is where the parishioner has to be careful.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It's rather amusing than frightening, because we've seen here utter uncomprehension of evolution - theory. But then people generally don't understand evolution; I didn't until I started debating it, just as I didn't know critical thinking and logic until I started on the religion -debate.

But there's more of course: a false idea of the way we actually are. Though we know that we share all traits with animals (even if the debate about Reasoning goes on) people get indignant at the idea that animals is just what we are. The water content is indicative of a water -origin and dependence for life, plant -cells originally being almost the same as animal with one branch leading to mammals and the other to melons. Like it or not that is the way it is and being disgusted because we are made of the same stuff that goes into steak is ignorant and pointless. And the primate DNA shows the evolutionary path back to pre -human primates.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

I think the beef that Christians of the fundamentalist variety have with evolution theory is that it allows for beliefs outside of a literal reading of the book of Genesis. They don't want the Biblical story of creation to have any competition whatsoever.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #5

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:23 am I think the beef that Christians of the fundamentalist variety have with evolution theory is that it allows for beliefs outside of a literal reading of the book of Genesis. They don't want the Biblical story of creation to have any competition whatsoever.
Of course it will have competition, even if a Genesis -type creation was validated. It's the 'which god?' apologetic which I won't labour here - we all know it. The insistence on Genesis - literalism is ...or so I suspect from seeing their arguments...because the Bible has to be ALL true and dismissing the first 4 chapters as Myth opens a can of wormy questions.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

Did you, Moderators, see what this forum member just said?
Is this lack of understanding of things like science, common sense, logic, and on and on, something that christianity fosters purposefully?
Is it allowed in this forum for a member to insult people like that for not thinking like him?

Who told this man that Christians do lack intellect because they are not atheists? Are there not scientists who are believers?

Stop insulting once and for all, and start thinking intelligently about on what you are spending your remaining time of life. How much can it affect you that others decide not to be atheists? If they found God and you did not, YOU have the problem.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

Eloi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:44 pm Did you, Moderators, see what this forum member just said?
Is it allowed in this forum for a member to insult people like that for not thinking like him?

Who told this man that Christians do lack intellect because they are not atheists? Are there not scientists who are believers?

Stop insulting once and for all, and start thinking intelligently about on what you are spending your remaining time of life. How much can it affect you that others decide not to be atheists? If they found God and you did not, YOU have the problem.
First, no need to assume gender and religious affiliation (or lack thereof).
Second, you missed the WHOLE concept of discussion (pay close attention the the bolded section). Here it is:
"Is this lack of understanding of things like science, common sense, logic, and on and on, something that christianity fosters purposefully?
Or is it christianity that preys on people with an innate ability (or want) to educate themselves?
Or is it all the media perpetuating the myth that 'christians typically aren't intelligent'?"

Feel free to add to the discussion with your opinion and or experience.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Eloi »

I am not only getting out of this topic ... I am also puting you in my ignore list.
Even if Moderators allow you to insult believers, I won't be part of that kind of conversation.
Ba-bye

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:44 pm Did you, Moderators, see what this forum member just said?

:warning: Moderator Warning

Please take note of rule #17:

"17. Do not comment on any rule infractions made by others. Ignore any rule violations made by others and only respond by reporting it to the moderators."

Additionally, please refrain from making personal comments about other posters and suggesting what they should or should not do.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

I think you misunderstand the actual question. As a Christian, you can simply answer the question "No, I do not believe Christianity fosters these things purposely. Here are some examples where Christians fully embrace science, etc. .... "

You would even be free to pose the counter question and give evidence that maybe it's the other way around. "In fact, I believe Atheism fosters these things. Here are some examples, ...."
Eloi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:44 pm Who told this man that Christians do lack intellect because they are not atheists? Are there not scientists who are believers?
You assume both gender and motive. There are plenty of people (theist and atheist) that lack understanding in all sorts of matters. The OP question is whether Christianity is using lack of understanding to it's advantage or not.
Eloi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:44 pm Stop insulting once and for all, and start thinking intelligently about on what you are spending your remaining time of life. How much can it affect you that others decide not to be atheists? If they found God and you did not, YOU have the problem.
Irony on full display.