A whale of a tale

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

A whale of a tale

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

A lot of talk has been happening here in regards to if the resurrection is factual or not. Among the discussion, is talk of 'witnesses' and the writing (or verbal) passing down of information regarding said resurrection; how what witnesses wrote what they saw (or said that they saw) is proof enough that the resurrection is factual.

A lot more recent (a few centuries ago) is tales of sea creatures and whales. Much was said about these creatures. There was also art depicting what these sea fairing people 'saw'.
Below is one such example

Now, while it's possible there is a creature that looks exactly like this in the depths of the ocean, the [/]likelihood[/i] isn't great. This artwork is what some of themsaid they saw.

For discussion:
If these eyewitnesses of a few centuries ago, can't describe what they saw without bias and the inability to adlib, how can we use the eyewitnesses of the times of jesus (or what those witnesses told others that told others) to represent an accurate description of the resurrection? Or if it even happened at all?

So is the resurrection simply a 'whale of a tale'?
Last edited by nobspeople on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: A whale of a tale

Post #31

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 am
How would a diver wearing scuba gear being in the mouth of a whale for 30 - 40 seconds support the mythological tale of a human surviving in the belly of a fish or a whale or whatever for three days?

Tcg

Are you suggesting then that this story is therefore irrelevant and proves nothing? If so why did you post it?

'I was completely inside': Lobster diver swallowed by humpback whale off Provincetown

In something truly biblical, Packard was swallowed whole by a humpback whale.

“All of a sudden, I felt this huge shove and the next thing I knew it was completely black,” Packard recalled Friday afternoon following his release from Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis.

https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/news ... 653838002/
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #32

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:44 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:56 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:40 am
I stand corrected regarding the physicality of a whale, **if ** the above story is true. This (If true) would perhaps represent an additional reason to believe the bible story is true.
How would a diver wearing scuba gear being in the mouth of a whale for 30 - 40 seconds support the mythological tale of a human surviving in the belly of a fish or a whale or whatever for three days?

Tcg
Okay. As I originally said the the Hebrew Word used in scripture speaks of a bit fish which probably was not a whales. This story is therefore irrelevant and privés nothing.

JW
As I've explained numerous times, the type of creature described in this mythological tale is irrelevant. Humans can't survive without air for much more than three minutes. A claim of surviving three days without air is pure absurdity.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #33

Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:51 am
As I've explained numerous times, the type of creature described in this mythological tale is irrelevant.
So who did you post about a man survivant being in the mouth of a whale? What has that got to do with anything ? Were you trying to prove something? if so WHAT?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:56 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:51 am
As I've explained numerous times, the type of creature described in this mythological tale is irrelevant.
So who did you post about a man survivant being in the mouth of a whale? What has that got to do with anything ? Were you trying to prove something? if so WHAT?
Simply to show the fallacy in this claim:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:06 am
Since physiologically it is unlikely a whale could have swallowed a man, it is inaccurate to say "there's no specific reason to think" it was a fish rather than a whale.

JW

brunumb
Savant

Post #35

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Tcg in post #34]

The story of Jonah and the whale/fish is clearly an example of fake news of its day.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:02 am
Simply to show the fallacy in this claim:
Since physiologically it is unlikely a whale could have swallowed a man, it is inaccurate to say "there's no specific reason to think" it was a fish rather than a whale.

JW
Of the 90 known whale species on Earth, sperm whales are the only species with throats large enough to technically swallow a human.

Though a humpback could easily fit a human inside its huge mouth—which can reach around 10 feet—it's scientifically impossible for the whale to swallow a human once inside, according to Nicola Hodgins of the Whale and Dolphin Conservation, a U.K. nonprofit.
The above is illustrated by our lobster farmer....

On Friday, a lobster diver made headlines when he described miraculously surviving being “swallowed” by a humpback whale off Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Michael Packard told the Cape Cod Times that he felt a shove, and “the next thing I knew it was completely black.” He recalled struggling inside the whale’s mouth for about 30 seconds before it surfaced and spat him out.
source: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... -heres-why

My statement that it was physiologically unlikely (ie 1 in 90 ) to have been a whale is perfectly accurate.

JW

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by JoeyKnothead »

In other news...

https://brobible.com/culture/article/fi ... ale-lying/

I make no comment on the accuracy of the referenced data.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #38

Post by Difflugia »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:56 pmThe Hebrew dag refers to fish no more "systematically" than 'oph refers to birds.
There are no instances in the Hebrew scriptures of dag referring to anything but a fish.
Except for possibly in Jonah where it might mean a whale, which is the usage in question.

There are no instances of 'oph meaning anything other than bird except for the usage in question.

Your "fish" claim is exactly as valid or flawed as the "bird" claim that you, yourself argued against in the old post I linked and for the same reasons. They stand or fall together.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #39

Post by Miles »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:56 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:52 pmJesus was clearly referencing the Hebrew bible which at Jonah 1 verse 17 uses The Hebrew Word dag which systematically refers to a fish. So logically the Hebrew source, which reports Jonah was swallowed by a "large /huge fish" should rightly influence the choice when it comes to the English translation.
The Hebrew dag refers to fish no more "systematically" than 'oph refers to birds.

There are no instances in the Hebrew scriptures of dag referring to anything but a fish.
Presuming you mean translations of the Hebrew scriptures, the International Standard Version doesn't refer to it as a fish at all.

Jonah 1:17, 2:1
17 Now the Lord had prepared a large sea creature to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the sea creature for three days and three nights.

2:1

1Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from inside the sea creature.

brunumb
Savant

Post #40

Post by brunumb »

17 Now the Lord had prepared a large sea creature to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the sea creature for three days and three nights.
Is there any reason given for this marine internment of Jonah, or is it just another case of a miraculous event for the sake of a miracle? It all sounds rather fishy to me. Jehovah works in the absurdist of ways.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.