Alright, Jehovah Exists - Why Worship Him?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Alright, Jehovah Exists - Why Worship Him?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Let's assume the God of the Bible exists. Taking aside that he has named himself God, why is he God?

What makes an entity God?

And if this entity exists, why worship him?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Alright, Jehovah Exists - Why Worship Him?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #10]
That's an empty bow, not really worship.
I'd tend to agree, but here we are; many people doing so for that reason.
So if that's your reason, why bother?
Because they think that'll get 'em to heaven. And or they can 'get one over' on god?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 pm
Because they think that'll get 'em to heaven. And or they can 'get one over' on god?
I want to give them more credit than that. I don't think people really do just worship God because they think they'll get into Heaven (or Paradise). I think they have other reasons.

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:08 pm Let's assume the God of the Bible exists. Taking aside that he has named himself God, why is he God?

What makes an entity God?

Because he seeks it.

John 4:23-24
But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.

He even demands it.

Exodus 34:14
(for you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God),

Moreover, he tells you how to go about it.

John 4:24
God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Hebrews 12:28-29

. . . thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe,. . . .

Of course if you don't give a fig what some emotionally insecure and narcissistic god needs then put a smile on your face and

...........................................................Image

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Mithrae »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:08 pm
Mithrae wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:35 pm I assume you mean aside from being tortured if you don't? That's a pretty compelling reason to worship anything.
That's an empty bow, not really worship. I also don't think anyone gets into Heaven if they worship for this reason. God knows you're doing it for that reason, and you know he knows it. So if that's your reason, why bother?
Imagine a parent or teacher telling a child "I've got a really special treat for you, and if you clean up your room you'll get it, but if you don't clean your room you'll be punished" and then later saying "Oh dear, it's good that your room is clean but you didn't do it quite right; I wanted you to do it motivated by a desire for cleanliness not just to get the reward or avoid punishment. You're grounded!" If we're talking about the God of the Bible, seems to me the only reasonable assumption is all that heaven and hellfire stuff was put in there precisely because "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." "I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!"

Such a creature is obviously the most evil thing we can imagine, but if I believed it was real I reckon I'd be spending every night on my knees begging to go to the good place, begging to have my mind warped into thinking this was some kind of 'love'... and every day obeying all the commands, even the ones that contradict other ones! Especially those ones, just to be sure I got it right either way!

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:08 pm ...
Bible tells about worshiping God:

Pure religion [religious worship] and undefiled before our God and Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.
James 1:27

I would do that, because I think it is good.
James 1:17 (KJV)
"Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Inserting your own words into the text is misleading and the antithesis of reading what is actually there without introducing one's own biased interpretation. In context, there is nothing about worship in this passage.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #16

Post by brunumb »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:02 pm I don't think people really do just worship God because they think they'll get into Heaven (or Paradise). I think they have other reasons.
Please share some of those other reasons with us. How can you be sure that the underlying reason is still not just the hope of a ticket to heaven and front row seats in the great throne room?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

tam
Savant

Post #17

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
[Replying to Purple Knight in post #12]

I want to give them more credit than that. I don't think people really do just worship God because they think they'll get into Heaven (or Paradise). I think they have other reasons.

Love. I want to also say respect, but the word 'respect' seems inadequate. An awesome respect, an 'in awe of'... respect. Love, gratitude (deep deep gratitude), and 'in awe of' respect.

I'm not sure if you want to know the reasons for those, but being loved (first) is one, love enough that He sacrificed and sent His Son (in whom we may have eternal life). For creation and so also for life. For gifts and fruits of the spirit; blessings and promises that are for us and for our children. For hearing and answering my prayers, for drawing me to His Son (His Truth), for His Kingdom, great wisdom, mercy, peace (peace I have in and from His Son), strength, comfort, forgiveness. For the healing we may have in His Son now; for the healing of the nations that is to come, via the Tree of Life (Christ). For hope and faith and joy.

For HIS love (the love that He IS). For who HE is. Praise JAH!

The praise, the worship, the love, these things are compelled, at least from me (I expect from others who love Him as well, who know Him by knowing His Son). Not commanded. Compelled, because of who He is.

Peace again.

tam
Savant

Post #18

Post by tam »

Peace again!

Just to clarify: My God would be JAH, though.

Not "Jehovah" (a mistranslated and incorrect name).

Miles
Savant

Post #19

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:57 pm Peace again!

Just to clarify: My God would be JAH, though.

Not "Jehovah" (a mistranslated and incorrect name).
Is not the god you call "JAH" and the god others call "Jehovah" one and the same god?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:02 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:14 pm
Some may, for sure.
But I think most are doing it specifically for that.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!