Can god do anything?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Can god do anything?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's been said god can do anything. It's also been said god can do anything but what god can't do (examples given to me included: forcing people to do anything, break existing rules of nature to name a couple).

Simple question:
Can god do anything?
Why or why not?
Another way to ask the same question, is:
Does god limit its abilities?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Can god do anything?

Post #71

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #70]
Did I say it already in this thread?

Maybe not.
Maybe. Maybe not. TBH, I can get lost in 'who said what where' so if so, and I missed it, my apologies.
My understanding of The Mind Behind Creation [aka The Father, God et al] is that it is intimately engaged with said creation and can be discovered therein by the individual seeking evidence of its existence.
Thanks for that. But my experience has shown, the bolded section isn't true.
Let's say 100 people are 'seeking' and 10 people 'find it'. That either means one group is lying in some form or fashion or it's true.
If it's true, does this mean 90% weren't looking hard enough? Not in the right places? Weren't privileged enough to have the 'truth' given to them? That's not something that makes sense to me - I can't buy that.
I'd be far more likely to believe that the 10% are lying or found what they consider to be right/correct, but it's not simply because I know people who have spent decades looking and found nothing.
Now there's reason to discuss what 'evidence' means - which has been discussed here on this forum ad nauseam - so we'll use the definition of the word here: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
But that's probably a discussion for another thread, I suspect.
Upon discovery, one is led to understand
Led by whom? What? How does one know? Is it innate? That seems like an almost ambiguous wording. And for me, until it's clarified, I can't buy it, either.

Once that's taken care of I could potentially buy into "Upon discovery, one is led to understand that while that Mind is is far better position than our individuate human minds, it is nonetheless still learning itself...'how to be a "God" as it were."

William
Savant

Post #72

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:19 pm [Replying to William in post #70]
Did I say it already in this thread?

Maybe not.
Maybe. Maybe not. TBH, I can get lost in 'who said what where' so if so, and I missed it, my apologies.
My understanding of The Mind Behind Creation [aka The Father, God et al] is that it is intimately engaged with said creation and can be discovered therein by the individual seeking evidence of its existence.
Thanks for that. But my experience has shown, the bolded section isn't true.
I accept that as par for the course. It in no way takes anything away from my own experience that it is true.
Let's say 100 people are 'seeking' and 10 people 'find it'. That either means one group is lying in some form or fashion or it's true.
What I said we should be seeking is evidence. Therefore those who find it are those who are looking for it, if indeed what they are looking for can be found.

The evidence can be presented and therein reasons as to why it is accepted/rejected can then be ascertained as to the matter of 'truth' or 'lies'.

If it's true, does this mean 90% weren't looking hard enough? Not in the right places? Weren't privileged enough to have the 'truth' given to them? That's not something that makes sense to me - I can't buy that.
It could be any of those reasons and more besides. Thus buying into any one of those reasons while dismissing any other of those reasons out of hand, would probably constitute an act of dishonesty.

I'd be far more likely to believe that the 10% are lying or found what they consider to be right/correct, but it's not simply because I know people who have spent decades looking and found nothing.
My strategy is to remain open until sufficient evidence allows one to rationally dismiss claims regarding the evidence which have clearly been shown to not have to be taken seriously.

Now there's reason to discuss what 'evidence' means - which has been discussed here on this forum ad nauseam - so we'll use the definition of the word here: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
But that's probably a discussion for another thread, I suspect.
Yes. Who gets to say what the definition for anything truthful should be? Some things are naturally easier to categorize. The mind is not one of those things. However, who is denying minds exist?
Upon discovery, one is led to understand
Led by whom? What? How does one know? Is it innate? That seems like an almost ambiguous wording. And for me, until it's clarified, I can't buy it, either.
Re our human experience, we are limited in what we can be lead by. Even so, it is still rather complicated and for me at least, the journey continues and may take more than one human lifetime to accumulate enough answers in order to move on gracefully. I reserve the right to be wrong about that though. I may already be able to move on gracefully... :)

The Mind is not so limited so it defers to me as the individual mind to trust in processes to show themselves to my awareness aligned with my willingness to be shown things which might well near blow my mind. :) It is to be expected, if indeed there is such a Mind behind Creation. We can tell that by simply studying natures complexity and our part within that complexity.
Once that's taken care of I could potentially buy into "Upon discovery, one is led to understand that while that Mind is is far better position than our individuate human minds, it is nonetheless still learning itself...'how to be a "God" as it were."
Yes. That is the natural outcome...once 'the other' is taken care of...

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #73

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #72]

It in no way takes anything away from my own experience that it is true.
One wouldn't expect it to take anything away, I'd suspect. Though there are some that might.
Therefore those who find it are those who are looking for it, if indeed what they are looking for can be found.
Just like there are those who are looking for it and never find it, as well.