Can god do anything?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Can god do anything?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's been said god can do anything. It's also been said god can do anything but what god can't do (examples given to me included: forcing people to do anything, break existing rules of nature to name a couple).

Simple question:
Can god do anything?
Why or why not?
Another way to ask the same question, is:
Does god limit its abilities?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Can god do anything?

Post #21

Post by Eloi »

Well, can you answer that question. Look around, you, and separate what man has caused ... what do you have left? What God did.

You can now terminate your topic. I, for my part, I get out of here. I hope you find the answer to your question.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Eloi in post #21]
Look around, you, and separate what man has caused ... what do you have left? What God did.
Please show this to be true and accurate, not that it answers the question in any logical way.
I, for my part, I get out of here.
Ba-bye :wave:

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

Mattathias wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:19 am
My personal testimony is that the God of the Bible acts in my life in the manner which he says, and others have observed, is in keeping with his attributes as revealed in scripture and in history.
This is a debate sub-forum. Evidence is expected, not one's personal testimony.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:23 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:57 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:25 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

God can do anything that can be done. This means that God’s limitation is that He cannot do something that is logically impossible.

God cannot create a square circle,....
I can make a square circle, so I assume also God could do that and perhaps also other things that people think are impossible. :D
Okay, I'll bite. How do you make a square circle?
Because people think it is a miraculous thing, it is obviously valuable information, you could pretend to be god, with that information. So, what is there fore me, if I tell it? :D

bjs1
Sage

Post #25

Post by bjs1 »

1213 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 pm

God can do anything that can be done. This means that God’s limitation is that He cannot do something that is logically impossible.

I can make a square circle, so I assume also God could do that and perhaps also other things that people think are impossible. :D
Because people think it is a miraculous thing, it is obviously valuable information, you could pretend to be god, with that information. So, what is there fore me, if I tell it? :D
There is nothing in it for you if you tell.

Of course there was nothing in it for you to claim that you could make a square circle in the first place. If anything, by saying that you can make a square circle you took an unnecessary risk to your credibility by making an obviously false claim.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

bjs1
Sage

Post #26

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am [Replying to bjs1 in post #7]
They [logic] are the same. Ways, reason, wisdom, etc. can be different. Logic is just logic.
I don't know that's accurate. Can you show that to be true? Seems it's illogical to create paradise then allow temptation into it and then get upset when you creation does what you don't want it to do when you knew it would do just that.
I think (I could be wrong) that you have confused the word logical with the word rational, or perhaps with the concept of what I would have done.

What rule logic do you think has been violate in the circumstance you describe?

nobspeople wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am
It is logically possible for a man to exist without having a father. It might be empirically impossible, but it is not logically impossible.
God broke the 'logic' rule.
Again, can you give an example of when God broke any rule of logic?
nobspeople wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:12 am
If God allowed me to put Him in checkmate then at that point it would be logically impossible for Him to win that game of chess.
Not if he changed the rules, mid game. Which, being god, it's more than capable of doing, or it's not all powerful.
Okay, but as that was not the circumstance I described I don’t know what your point is.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:35 pm

There is nothing in it for you if you tell...
Ok, then here is the explanation for free:

1. Draw a line from point 0,0,0 (x,y,z) to point 10,0,0.
2. Continue with an arc from point 10,0,0 to point 10,10,0 through point 10,5,5.
3. Continue with straight line from point 10,10,0 to point 0,10,0.
4. Continue with an arc from point 0,10,0 to point 0,0,0 through point 10,5,-5.

Now, if you look at that in direction of z, you will see a square and if you look at it in direction of x, you will see a circle. And that is how you can have a square circle.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #28

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am Ok, then here is the explanation for free:

2. Continue with an arc from point 10,0,0 to point 10,10,0 through point 10,5,5.

Now, if you look at that in direction of z, you will see a square and if you look at it in direction of x, you will see a circle. And that is how you can have a square circle.
Well, no. Squares and circles are 2D objects. What you have is a 3D object that is neither a square nor a circle and only appears as one or the other if you look at it from a given perspective. From those perspectives it is only one or the other. At best you could (depending on where you look at it from) call it a square looking 3D plot or a circle looking 3D plot. At no point is it a square circle. Nice trick, but fail.

Way to think outside the box though! :applaud:

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #29

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #26]
What rule logic do you think has been violate in the circumstance you describe?
It would in illogical to create paradise, allow something to temp your creation, (seemingly disappear), then return, acting surprised that they acted on the temptation as god knew they would fall to temptation (or he doesn't know everything and thus, isn't the christian god as it's claimed to be).

Again, can you give an example of when God broke any rule of logic?
You said: "It is logically possible for a man to exist without having a father." But god did that, according to many christians. Thus, god broke the 'logic rule', as it were (if the christian claim is true).
Okay, but as that was not the circumstance I described I don’t know what your point is.
I never said he changed the rules, I said 'if' it did.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #30

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am
bjs1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:35 pm

There is nothing in it for you if you tell...
Ok, then here is the explanation for free:

That was neat :approve: but doesn't resolve the supposed dilemma of a god who was able to do anything being able to do the logically impossible (I personally think it's unreasonable but I may be wrong (1) as all it does is make a square circle a not impossible thing and we have to find another impossible thing that should be possible for God

(1) e.g I thought it unreasonable to say that God could make the universe as though it had never been made, but it's not impossible to imagine a god doing that. Like time travel. The 'future' never happened.