Can god do anything?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Can god do anything?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's been said god can do anything. It's also been said god can do anything but what god can't do (examples given to me included: forcing people to do anything, break existing rules of nature to name a couple).

Simple question:
Can god do anything?
Why or why not?
Another way to ask the same question, is:
Does god limit its abilities?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Can god do anything?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 am That was neat :approve: but doesn't resolve the supposed dilemma of a god who was able to do anything being able to do the logically impossible (I personally think it's unreasonable but I may be wrong (1) as all it does is make a square circle a not impossible thing and we have to find another impossible thing that should be possible for God

(1) e.g I thought it unreasonable to say that God could make the universe as though it had never been made, but it's not impossible to imagine a god doing that. Like time travel. The 'future' never happened.
I appreciate the ability to think you may be wrong. I don’t know is there some logical impossible thing for God. But, I don’t really see why He should be able to do something that is logically impossible.

That “universe as though it had never been made” is also interesting idea. Some people think that the universe may be just like a simulation. For them it may look like universe would not really have been created, it is just an illusion, or something like that. :)

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:13 am ...
Well, no. Squares and circles are 2D objects. What you have is a 3D object that is neither a square nor a circle ...
Yes, but I understood that square circle was asked, square circle is obviously not just a square, or a circle. :D

bjs1
Sage

Post #33

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:56 am [Replying to bjs1 in post #26]
What rule logic do you think has been violate in the circumstance you describe?
It would in illogical to create paradise, allow something to temp your creation, (seemingly disappear), then return, acting surprised that they acted on the temptation as god knew they would fall to temptation (or he doesn't know everything and thus, isn't the christian god as it's claimed to be).
Again, you seem to be confusing “rational” with “logical.” (I don’t actually agree that God’s actions were irrational, but that is beside the point.) Something can be irrational but still be logically possible. I might really want a new TV, but then the moment I purchase one I smash it with a hammer for no reason. That would be irrational, but it would not be illogical.

I blame Spock for this. He kept using the word “logical” when he meant “rational.”
nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:56 am
Again, can you give an example of when God broke any rule of logic?
You said: "It is logically possible for a man to exist without having a father." But god did that, according to many christians. Thus, god broke the 'logic rule', as it were (if the christian claim is true).
Okay… you might want to read that sentence again. It is logically possible for a man to exist without a father. God (for the sake of argument) did that. So God did a logically possible thing. What’s the problem? God did something that is logically possible.

Had God done something logically impossible – such as create a father who is not a parent – then that would be an issue. However, God can do anything which is logically possible.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

bjs1
Sage

Post #34

Post by bjs1 »

1213 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:47 am
benchwarmer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:13 am ...
Well, no. Squares and circles are 2D objects. What you have is a 3D object that is neither a square nor a circle ...
Yes, but I understood that square circle was asked, square circle is obviously not just a square, or a circle. :D
A square circle would have to be both a square and a circle. That is impossible, which is the point. Benchwarmer has accurately pointed out that what you described is neither a square nor a circle. I will also give you credit for thinking outside the box, but what you have described is not a square circle.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #35

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #33]
Again, you seem to be confusing “rational” with “logical.”
I disagree, as explained. Either way, it makes no sense.
Okay… you might want to read that sentence again. It is logically possible for a man to exist without a father. God (for the sake of argument) did that. So God did a logically possible thing. What’s the problem? God did something that is logically possible.
Ah yes. It seems my dyslexia got me again. :D Thanks for the clarification.
God can do anything which is logically possible.
Agreed. That said, if god can do anything, this would mean anything that breaks any rule. He can do the logically impossible by simply changing any rule or law it wants. He can make a circle square by changing what a circle is. How? Why? Because he can do anything, as he created the rule*. God would seem to be only hindered by its own will. Once that will changes (or if), then anything is possible.

* If god can do anything, which is the whole argument. If god can't do anything, then it can't do the logically impossible. But if god can do anything, this mean anything, even things we don't understand or know about.

I'm not saying I believe god can do anything, but if the christian's idea that 'god can do anything' is true, then that means anything.

bjs1
Sage

Post #36

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am I'm not saying I believe god can do anything, but if the christian's idea that 'god can do anything' is true, then that means anything.
This looks like a textbook example of a strawman.

You have recognized what Christians do believe (God can do anything that is logically possible).

You have described what you want Christians to believe (God can do anything, including the logically impossible).

You have then addressed what you want Christians to believer, not what they actually do believe.

You are free to you own ideas, but it is not a fault with Christianity that Christianity is not what you imagined it to be.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:24 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:08 am I'm not saying I believe god can do anything, but if the christian's idea that 'god can do anything' is true, then that means anything.
This looks like a textbook example of a strawman.

You have recognized what Christians do believe (God can do anything that is logically possible).

You have described what you want Christians to believe (God can do anything, including the logically impossible).

You have then addressed what you want Christians to believer, not what they actually do believe.

You are free to you own ideas, but it is not a fault with Christianity that Christianity is not what you imagined it to be.
Belief is a funny thing: it doesn't need to make any sense. If one says god can do anything, by definition, that means anything. Even if it doesn't make sense or seems to go against current ideals, logic, rationality, definition, or whatever.
If christians want god to be able to do anything, except XYZ, then that needs to be said: God can do anything but XYZ. Thus far, I've seen few christians make such a claim. At what point do we say 'enough christians have said god can do anything but XYZ to make it so'... that remains to be seen and could be another topic altogether (when do christian ideals change?)

God abides by his own rules; rules god made (it would seem, if god was before all things).
Trying to excuse and limit god is doing a dis-service to said god and definition therein.

Now then, if you want to say 'God can do anything but XYZ', that's your choice to make. And, until you speak for enough christians to make it 'the rule' or 'the majority' (see above), then it's nothing other than your opinion. Which is fine, as that was the OP and all that can be asked of you.

William
Savant

Post #38

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:47 pm It's been said god can do anything. It's also been said god can do anything but what god can't do (examples given to me included: forcing people to do anything, break existing rules of nature to name a couple).

Simple question:
Can god do anything?
Why or why not?
Another way to ask the same question, is:
I think the answer might be 'yes'.

Why I think this, has to do with the existence of this universe and our experience within it, learning about it as we do.

If a Creator [aka a god aka God] created this universe, then I simply have no reasonable platform in which to declare that some things are impossible for said Creator to do.

Obviously - in relation to this Universe, yes.

Herein, we have ample evidence of spherical cosmic entities interacting with one another - but no cube-shaped ones. Doe this mean that the Creator cannot create cubed planets and stars?

I don't think that is the case.

Lets say we all wake up tomorrow with news that astronomers have discovered a cube shaped planet.

Would this prove that god can do anything? No it would not, because astronomers and others would simple see an anomaly rather than a creation of any creator-entity...that world-view would not change.

It might make the reader hereabouts, wonder how William was just talking about this very thing the day before, but that could simple be a case of that wacky thing called "coincidence" rather than any Creator having a bit of fun with us - just to show us that 'it can do anything if It wants to'...if indeed - It wanted to...

It could make us all believers in its existence the blink of an eye, but where is the fun in that?

Obviously [assuming we are in a Creation and thus there is a Creator] we are placed in an environment which hides us from directly knowing if that is actually the case, so perhaps this was in answer to someone asking if it could be possible be done...like in "can God do the impossible and completely hide from our immediate awareness?", if at some point we existed in an environment where the very thought of that being possible was considered bonkers.

bjs1
Sage

Post #39

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:43 am Belief is a funny thing: it doesn't need to make any sense. If one says god can do anything, by definition, that means anything.
I would say that belief is complex. For instance, most Christians who say “God can do anything,” don’t feel the need to include the phrase “that is logically possible” because a rational person listening in good faith would assume that to be their meaning. Logically impossible actions aren’t really a “thing” at all. They are just nonsense. They are a series of random words thrown together, and then someone pretended that they made sense by putting the phrase “God can” in front of those words. (See post 2).
nobspeople wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:43 am Now then, if you want to say 'God can do anything but XYZ', that's your choice to make. And, until you speak for enough christians to make it 'the rule' or 'the majority' (see above), then it's nothing other than your opinion. Which is fine, as that was the OP and all that can be asked of you.
Again, as pointed out in post 2, I am describing the dominant view in Christian history. I might not be speaking for the majority, but I am describing what the majority of Christians said they believed.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #39]
I would say that belief is complex. For instance, most Christians who say “God can do anything,” don’t feel the need to include the phrase “that is logically possible” because a rational person listening in good faith would assume that to be their meaning.
I don't think it's complex at all (unless one wants to make it complex, I suppose): you simply believe X or you don't; there's no need to have anything other than a want to believe in X.

Additionally, I don't believe that there's much 'rational' about any belief, in general. So when someone tells me 'god can do anything' that means exactly that. Seems that making assumptions otherwise leads to confusion. In other words, if someone says 'god can do anything' why in the world would one need to think 'well, what they really mean is god can do anything but this or that'?! Seems that's more of making an excuse or caveat to met the listener's paradigm than what the person actually says.
as pointed out in post 2, I am describing the dominant view in Christian history.
Until you can prove that, it's only an opinion. Which I thank you for.