Halloween

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Halloween

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Several churches in my area (and a few I attended), during Halloween, would have a 'Fall Festival' party/gathering. Most, if not all, of their reasoning was 'Halloween is of the devil' or 'Satanic' or the like.

For discussion:
As christians (especially those with small children), how do you celebrate Halloween (for those that do)? If you don't, why not?

What's the proper way to celebrate it, as christian? Or is there no proper way to celebrate it? If not, why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Halloween

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am ...

What's the proper way to celebrate it, as christian? Or is there no proper way to celebrate it? If not, why not?
I think that depends on how and why one celebrates it. If it includes things that are considered evil in the Bible, I recommend not to have it. For many it seems to be some kind of evil worship, admiration of things that in Biblical point of view are not good. I don’t like that, and I don’t think it is good.

By what I know, originally Halloween was All Saints' Day, and the point was to honor/remember all the saints. I don’t see anything wrong in that, as long as it is not worshiping the saints. It is interesting how it has turned into having witches and things like that.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #3

Post by Clownboat »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am Several churches in my area (and a few I attended), during Halloween, would have a 'Fall Festival' party/gathering. Most, if not all, of their reasoning was 'Halloween is of the devil' or 'Satanic' or the like.

For discussion:
As christians (especially those with small children), how do you celebrate Halloween (for those that do)? If you don't, why not?

We called it Satan's birthday, like we did Christmas for Jesus.
(I don't think we were meant to believe it was literally his birthday though).

We went to 'hallelujah parties' at church instead of trick or treating with the sinners.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:34 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am Several churches in my area (and a few I attended), during Halloween, would have a 'Fall Festival' party/gathering. Most, if not all, of their reasoning was 'Halloween is of the devil' or 'Satanic' or the like.

For discussion:

We went to 'hallelujah parties' at church instead of trick or treating with the sinners.
Did you enjoy those parties more than you think you would have (or did) trick-or-treat?
The whole 'satan's birthday thing' is interesting....
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Clownboat
Savant

Post #5

Post by Clownboat »

For discussion:

Did you enjoy those parties more than you think you would have (or did) trick-or-treat?
Probably the same...
What I enjoyed was the celebrating with my friends, which I would have done if I trick or treated. Both offered candy!
The whole 'satan's birthday thing' is interesting....
I always took it kind of tongue and cheek. Our lord had his birthday in December. The sinners god (Satan) had Halloween.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

bluegreenearth
Guru

Post #6

Post by bluegreenearth »

1213 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:52 pm By what I know, originally Halloween was All Saints' Day, and the point was to honor/remember all the saints. I don’t see anything wrong in that, as long as it is not worshiping the saints. It is interesting how it has turned into having witches and things like that.
Actually the origin of Halloween is disputed by scholars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

bluegreenearth wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:04 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:52 pm By what I know, originally Halloween was All Saints' Day, and the point was to honor/remember all the saints. I don’t see anything wrong in that, as long as it is not worshiping the saints. It is interesting how it has turned into having witches and things like that.
Actually the origin of Halloween is disputed by scholars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Ok, not surprising, nowadays everything is disputed. But, I think it is still so that is it good, depends on what is the purpose.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'd say it's good - a bit of fun for the kids so long as nobody takes it too seriously, and is better than some fairy tale or legend that people Do take seriously.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

Q. Should Christians celebrate Halloween?

A. Christianity.com says "Yes."

Why? "Because the blood of Jesus has redeemed Halloween."

I don't know how that works, but evidently pretty well. Personally, I wasn't aware Jesus had anything to do with the Halloween. Atheist ignorance I guess.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:P I think I get it. I'm trying to find an analogy in something real, preferably. It's sorta like televangelists being excused grift, fraud and tax evasion on the grounds that they are bringing people to God ("Even God can use a Bad Man for His purposes"...something we've heard over recent months) so if trick or treat has to be habilitated and brought under the umberella of religious totalitarianism, so the religion is not put in the position of alienating the kiddies by Grinching on their annual door to door scrounging, let it whitewashed in Jesus' blood. They did themselves no good by denouncing Harry Potter as 'Satanic' as everyone loved it. I don't know how many people that drove away from Christian extremist witch hunting, but it all seems to have blown over.