Halloween

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Halloween

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Several churches in my area (and a few I attended), during Halloween, would have a 'Fall Festival' party/gathering. Most, if not all, of their reasoning was 'Halloween is of the devil' or 'Satanic' or the like.

For discussion:
As christians (especially those with small children), how do you celebrate Halloween (for those that do)? If you don't, why not?

What's the proper way to celebrate it, as christian? Or is there no proper way to celebrate it? If not, why not?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Halloween

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

As Jehovahs Witnesses we absolutely do not celebrate Halloween because we see it as having its roots in spiritism and the occult, something we believe to be contrary to bible law and principle.

FURTHER READING : The truth about Halloween
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... halloween/

RELATED POSTS

What is spiritism?
viewtopic.php?p=955577#p955577

Are exorcism legitimate?
viewtopic.php?p=765712#p765712

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WITCHCRAFT, SPIRITISM and ... NDE*
*Near Death Experiences
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Better keep the kiddies in that night...never know what they might be up to.

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

Roughly 90% Of Americans Have No Religious Objections to Halloween

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- "Trick or treat" may be the most common greeting Americans will receive when they open their doors to little ghosts and goblins on Halloween night. A new Gallup Panel survey finds that roughly 1 in 10 Americans say they object to celebrating Halloween because of religious beliefs. More than 6 in 10 Americans tell Gallup they usually pass out treats to children on Halloween, and roughly the same percentage of parents usually dress their children in costumes. Few Americans report that they usually attend a Halloween party, wear a costume, or visit a haunted house or go on a haunted hayride."
source
................................................................ Image

............................................................................ Image

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Not that I'm a party animal myself or can face the idea of managing a roomful of kids, but I'd rather like to see Halloween parties Hogwarts themed (since both are Satanic, apparently). Though I can see one small girl's party being ruined as she was the only one who turned up with a Slytherin blazer on and nobody would talk to her.

brunumb
Savant

Post #15

Post by brunumb »

To me, the drinking of the blood of Christ and eating his body is a far more creepy celebration than anything people do on Halloween.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

brunumb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm To me, the drinking of the blood of Christ and eating his body is a far more creepy celebration than anything people do on Halloween.
Almost as creepy as having a holy image of a man being tortured. I always found it perverse while chatting to a pretty chick in a black cocktail dress at a party to see that she has a little silver torture scene hanging round her neck on a chain.

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:01 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:09 pm To me, the drinking of the blood of Christ and eating his body is a far more creepy celebration than anything people do on Halloween.
Almost as creepy as having a holy image of a man being tortured. I always found it perverse while chatting to a pretty chick in a black cocktail dress at a party to see that she has a little silver torture scene hanging round her neck on a chain.
Just before the pandemic started I took my partner to the hospital for minor surgery. In the waiting room they had a former nun volunteer walking around talking to folks supposedly with the purpose of helping us not worry about our loved ones. All she did really was talk about her career as a bride of Christ which was creepy enough. At one point she said to me that she found it very comforting that every room in the hospital had a crucifix. I just gave her a blank stare and wondered why a bloody corpse hanging on a cross would provide comfort.

Contrast that with a Halloween in the early sixties when as a kid I wore a "Casper the Friendly Ghost" outfit to go trick-or-treating. Sure, dressing up as a carton character and asking neighbors for candy is demonic, but having the image of a bloody corpse on a cross in every room of a hospital is comforting.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:34 pm We called it Satan's birthday, like we did Christmas for Jesus.
(I don't think we were meant to believe it was literally his birthday though).

We went to 'hallelujah parties' at church instead of trick or treating with the sinners.
What yall called it is irrelevant.

If someone dresses up like Superman for Halloween, that has absolutely nothing to do with Satan, does it? Which makes what the holiday is called irrelevant.

And it is funny, because you guys went to hallelujah parties at the church instead of trick or treating with the sinners...yet, some of those sinners are the ones at the church.

Foolishness, and over-zealousness.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:56 am Several churches in my area (and a few I attended), during Halloween, would have a 'Fall Festival' party/gathering. Most, if not all, of their reasoning was 'Halloween is of the devil' or 'Satanic' or the like.

For discussion:
As christians (especially those with small children), how do you celebrate Halloween (for those that do)? If you don't, why not?

What's the proper way to celebrate it, as christian? Or is there no proper way to celebrate it? If not, why not?
Christians dress up in their favorite costumes, go apple bobbing, and eat lots of candy. Not really worthy of a discussion and certainly no need for making news of the un-newsworthy.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:09 am
Clownboat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:34 pm We called it Satan's birthday, like we did Christmas for Jesus.
(I don't think we were meant to believe it was literally his birthday though).

We went to 'hallelujah parties' at church instead of trick or treating with the sinners.
What yall called it is irrelevant.

If someone dresses up like Superman for Halloween, that has absolutely nothing to do with Satan, does it? Which makes what the holiday is called irrelevant.

And it is funny, because you guys went to hallelujah parties at the church instead of trick or treating with the sinners...yet, some of those sinners are the ones at the church.

Foolishness, and over-zealousness.
I just love it when the schismatics fall out. Saves the atheists a heck of a lot of work.