If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tonjun
Student

If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Post #1

Post by tonjun »

God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?
- Numbers 23:19

If Jesus is God, how is it that one moment he's here for the Israelites only; but in the next couple centuries he's here for the Gentiles?

I thought the Bible spells out that God does not change His mind.
21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
- Matthew 15: 21-24

It's obvious that Jesus does change his mind. Changes from being here for the lost sheep of Israel to now being here for the Gentiles; a change.

This is not aligned with what Number 23:19 describes as God's nature; a contradiction. A misleading form of religion with false teachings.

Clearly Jesus is not God.

Miles
Savant

Re: If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

tonjun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pm
God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?
- Numbers 23:19

If Jesus is God, how is it that one moment he's here for the Israelites only; but in the next couple centuries he's here for the Gentiles?

I thought the Bible spells out that God does not change His mind.
It may very well do so. And it may very well spell out that God does change His mind, which it does. But considering that the Bible is full of contradictions this shouldn't come as any surprise. So if god can change his mind I guess Jesus can change his too. Right?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Why not? God changed his mind about the Flood. He was sorry he'd done it. And otseng in a post he made was raising a good point about God not being omnipotent or he could just have undone it and gone back to how it was before the flood, or indeed Eden and prevented the event...it is very much (if one takes Eden as anything more than a myth) as though God is limited to human perception and doesn't know how things would turn out.

And as I recall, Abraham talked God out of destroying a city using a simple rhetorical trick. God could have said: 'I know which are the righteous persons in that city. I will destroy the city and spare them. So don't think you can outsmart me, sunshine!' But God was outsmarted.

So why couldn't God have decided He'd had it with the Hebrews and he'd change his support to the Gentiles and change the rulebook to suit them? It then makes sense that Jesus would change his mind about helping the Syrio- -phonecian woman when at first he'd said he wouldn't, because clearly Jesus wasn't told everything by the spirit. It would then make sense that he thought that there was a point in asking God to let him off crucifixion, if his Abba could think of some other way of making a loophole in his own rules.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

tonjun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pmIf Jesus is God, how is it that one moment he's here for the Israelites only; but in the next couple centuries he's here for the Gentiles?
He's not. I've implied this before.
Purple Knight wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:15 pmChristianity is about the furthest from a Nature religion you can get, yet this seeing God in Nature is not a unique experience.

If I was religious, I would be very careful to make sure you're not allowing a deity that hates you to eat from the food dish of the one that actually cares about you. This is generally the thought I have when I explore the maybe. What I don't think, even if it's all true, is that this world started out monotheistic. I think it ended up monotheistic, because one of those beings found a way to monopolise the food dishes of all the others, and they all starved to death.
God can't change his mind. That's canonical.

God is not faced with a restriction that he never lie.

So before you see a contradiction that's not there, assume it's all true, look at it that way, and put two and two together.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 pm
tonjun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pmIf Jesus is God, how is it that one moment he's here for the Israelites only; but in the next couple centuries he's here for the Gentiles?
He's not. I've implied this before.
Purple Knight wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:15 pmChristianity is about the furthest from a Nature religion you can get, yet this seeing God in Nature is not a unique experience.

If I was religious, I would be very careful to make sure you're not allowing a deity that hates you to eat from the food dish of the one that actually cares about you. This is generally the thought I have when I explore the maybe. What I don't think, even if it's all true, is that this world started out monotheistic. I think it ended up monotheistic, because one of those beings found a way to monopolise the food dishes of all the others, and they all starved to death.
God can't change his mind. That's canonical.
Canonical or not the Bible says differently.

1 Samuel 15:35
"Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel."

In regretting, god changed his mind about his judgment in making Saul king over Israel. At first he thought it a good move; however, later on he changed his mind and thought it a bad move. Hence the regret.[/indent]

Then there are the several outright statements about god changing his mind.

Amos 7:1-3
I had a vision from the Sovereign Lord. In it I saw him create a swarm of locusts just after the king's share of the hay had been cut and the grass was starting to grow again. 2 In my vision I saw the locusts eat up every green thing in the land, and then I said, “Sovereign Lord, forgive your people! How can they survive? They are so small and weak!” The Lord changed his mind and said, “What you saw will not take place.”

Jeremiah 42:10
‘If you will stay in this land, then I will build you up and not tear you down. I will plant you and not pull you up by the roots. For I will change My mind about the trouble that I have given you.

Jonah 3:10
10 God saw what the people did. He saw that they stopped doing evil. So God changed his mind and did not do what he planned. He did not punish the people.

tonjun
Student

Post #6

Post by tonjun »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 pm God can't change his mind. That's canonical.

So before you see a contradiction that's not there, assume it's all true, look at it that way, and put two and two together.
Right. So if it is canonical that God cannot lie nor change his mind, it's clear Jesus is not God. That is two and two together. A clear contradiction that is apparent. I don't know what you're going on about saying 'before you see a contradiction'.

Regardless, now that factors out the real God. Which I am not talking about here.

I'm talking about the god the Christians claim as our supposed true god. This only narrows down on Jesus; which you know what I'm already going to say.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

tonjun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pm ....
21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

It's obvious that Jesus does change his mind. Changes from being here for the lost sheep of Israel to now being here for the Gentiles;...
Firstly, I think it would be good to notice that by what the Bible tells, Jesus is not the one and only true God, for example because:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

Secondly, I don't think Jesus changed his mind. He was send to lost sheep of Israel. Helping the woman does not change that.

And finally, changing action does not necessary mean one has changed his mind. It is possible that the situation has just changed, which is why different action is possible.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #8

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:35 am
tonjun wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:55 pm ....

It's obvious that Jesus does change his mind. Changes from being here for the lost sheep of Israel to now being here for the Gentiles;...
Firstly, I think it would be good to notice that by what the Bible tells, Jesus is not the one and only true God, for example because:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

...the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

Secondly, I don't think Jesus changed his mind. He was send to lost sheep of Israel. Helping the woman does not change that.

And finally, changing action does not necessary mean one has changed his mind. It is possible that the situation has just changed, which is why different action is possible.
This is a wonderful example of evasive excuses without thinking it through. Clearly as far as Christian Dogma goes, Jesus is not God, but he draws on knowledge and power from the spirit of God that is operating him. So that God is present in a man's body is not the point. It is whether Jesus, in changing his mind (assuming he actually does), has not wholly access to the mind of God or whether he has and God Himself changes his mind.

That he helped the Syrio -phoenecian (Canaanite) woman (after saying that he wouldn't) is irrelevant to being his sent to the lost sheep of Israel. I think that this is proffered (by Matthew, generally) as an explanation as to why, if God knew that he would turn his back on the Jews and embrace the Gentiles as the 'people who are not his people', he bothered with them at all. Again, it makes no sense unless God didn't know that the Jews would reject Jesus, even though (I believe in Mark and other synoptics) it is implied that God deliberately set up talking in parables so that (with a bit of the heart -hardening that God does at need) the majority of Jews would not listen, turn and be saved. In o.w God set out to ensure that the Jews (mostly) would not be saved.

It makes no sense with a god who does not change his mind, but perfect sense for a religion hi -jacked by Paul, redesigned to suit the gentiles and was then used by them as a weapon against the Jews they clearly hated (unless they had converted). But the excuse or evasion above ignores that Jesus is shown as saying that his mission was to the Jews, and not the gentiles, and that (quietly) explains why Jesus left the mission to the gentiles to Paul and put his efforts into a mission that was not only doomed to fail but seemed intended to fail.

Yes, it is totally an evasive excuse to claim that the 'situation has changed'. It hasn't. True, Jesus is constantly being shown how more Faithful the gentiles are than the Jews (and worthy of being saved, following Paulinist - christian doctrine) and thus he changes his mind about helping her. It only makes sense (like the agony in the garden and some other scenes) if he does not know everything, even if God does. Clearly to make any sense (as distinct from coming up with irrelevant excuses that explain nothing) much is kept from Jesus.

tonjun
Student

Post #9

Post by tonjun »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:31 am Yes, it is totally an evasive excuse to claim that the 'situation has changed'. It hasn't. True, Jesus is constantly being shown how more Faithful the gentiles are than the Jews (and worthy of being saved, following Paulinist - christian doctrine) and thus he changes his mind about helping her. It only makes sense (like the agony in the garden and some other scenes) if he does not know everything, even if God does. Clearly to make any sense (as distinct from coming up with irrelevant excuses that explain nothing) much is kept from Jesus.
Well said TRANSPONDER.

@1213 I don't know how a 'situation that has changed' negates the fact that the mind/action hasn't changed.

That's like saying I couldn't have slapped someone across the face, even though I may struck him with an open hand across the face; it's practically the same thing.

Jesus changed his words and his actions. Words and actions that came from his mind; thus a change of mind!

Oh... and on top of a changed mind, the situation has changed. There, are you satisfied I included that in?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

tonjun wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 pm God can't change his mind. That's canonical.

Right. So if it is canonical that God cannot lie nor change his mind, it's clear Jesus is not God.
Either that, or Jesus is lying.

Now, I am not an authority in any sense because I don't believe any of this, but here is how I see it.

The God of the Jews is only for the Jews, period. This god wants more worship so he lies and says worship him and he'll save you no matter who you are. Only Jews go to Heaven. As a non-Semitic, you cannot go to Heaven. You are a descended from pre-Adamic man and not even technically human. What the Biblical extended canon (here meaning the Talmud) regards as human is descended from the line of Adam. You don't go to Heaven, you don't go to Hell, you go nowhere.