If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

tonjun
Student

If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Post #1

Post by tonjun »

God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?
- Numbers 23:19

If Jesus is God, how is it that one moment he's here for the Israelites only; but in the next couple centuries he's here for the Gentiles?

I thought the Bible spells out that God does not change His mind.
21 Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. 22 A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.”

23 Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.”

24 He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.”
- Matthew 15: 21-24

It's obvious that Jesus does change his mind. Changes from being here for the lost sheep of Israel to now being here for the Gentiles; a change.

This is not aligned with what Number 23:19 describes as God's nature; a contradiction. A misleading form of religion with false teachings.

Clearly Jesus is not God.

Noose001
Apprentice

Re: If Jesus is God, how can he change his mind?

Post #51

Post by Noose001 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am
That makes sense. There are two entities combined into one, each being 100% what it is. If you believe it.
Yeah but 200% is not a thing. If God creates 'by becoming' then Jesus is a creation; a special creation ( second Adam if you like).

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #52

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Noose001 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am
That makes sense. There are two entities combined into one, each being 100% what it is. If you believe it.
Yeah but 200% is not a thing. If God creates 'by becoming' then Jesus is a creation; a special creation ( second Adam if you like).
True. Nothing can be 200% itself. But if you write a letter it's 100% paper and 100% ink and 100% letter. So I can see how Jesus can be 100% Jesus (man) and 100% God (or spirit of God, at least) and 100% God incarnated in Jesus, though it's not 200% anything. O:) I'm with you there. Of course one can roll with the idea behind the logically impossible expression, just as we understand what is meant by '120% certain'. It's logically impossible, but we get the idea.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #53

Post by Noose001 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am

True. Nothing can be 200% itself. But if you write a letter it's 100% paper and 100% ink and 100% letter. So I can see how Jesus can be 100% Jesus (man) and 100% God (or spirit of God, at least) and 100% God incarnated in Jesus, though it's not 200% anything. O:) I'm with you there. Of course one can roll with the idea behind the logically impossible expression, just as we understand what is meant by '120% certain'. It's logically impossible, but we get the idea.
Ok except that letters and humans or gods are not be on the same level.

The 1st and the 2nd commandment prohibit having images of God in any male of female forms. In the new testament, Jesus is the image of God. In the OT, man is made in the image of God; what's your take on this?

And, as a panentheist, i beleieve God creates by becomiñg the creation. The burning bush that appeared to Moses was God, yet God in not a burning bush.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #54

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'm not equating letters with gods. I'm using an example of how one thing we are all familiar with can be two different things (100% themselves) can be combined into something that is 100% what it is but combining the two other things, as an analogy of how Jesus could be God and man at the same time.