Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Re: Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #2

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?
He could be there at some point if someone can be forgiven for suicide. That's debatable. Being forgiven doesn't mean you don't face the consequences in this lifetime. If he committed suicide, then he escaped the consequences in this lifetime. But then if suicide is not forgivable, especially given the circumstances and timing of the person turning to God, then he will be in Hell.
Last edited by AgnosticBoy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

Sure. If he repents, that's all that's needed per some.
If he committed suicide, some say that prevent heaven entrance. But if he was conscious enough to honestly be remorseful and ask for forgiveness, he will either be in heaven now or later (depending on how you view entrance into heaven).
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #4

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Here's a counter to the claim that suicide is not forgivable:
Some say that suicide cannot be forgiven because the person who did it could not have repented of doing it. But all of us commit sins that we are too spiritually cloddish to recognize for the sins they are. And we all die with sins not named and repented of.
Source: Christianity Today
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

As I understand the machinery of Christianity, to get into heaven all Brian would have to do is "openly say, “Jesus is Lord” and believe in [his] heart that God raised him from death, [he] will be saved. " (Romans 10:9) before he drew his last breath. After that, suicide or not, he's in the door.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #3]

Both AgnosticBoy and nobspeople have brought up the question of suicide and whether or not it is forgivable. This is a very good point to consider. It seems that the consideration of attaining heaven can get complex rather quickly.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:00 pm .

As I understand the machinery of Christianity, to get into heaven all Brian would have to do is "openly say, “Jesus is Lord” and believe in [his] heart that God raised him from death, [he] will be saved. " (Romans 10:9) before he drew his last breath. After that, suicide or not, he's in the door.

Indeed. Romans 10:9 mentions no exceptions concerning suicide.

Acts 2:38 may present a problem though. At least according to some understandings of this text, baptism may be a additional requirement needed to attain heaven:

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

No.

Notions of the afterlife, and heavens, and hells are purely the product of man's imagination. They represent the hopes and wishes of a species aware of its own mortality.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 pm
No.

Notions of the afterlife, and heavens, and hells are purely the product of man's imagination. They represent the hopes and wishes of a species aware of its own mortality.
Yes, there is that. Perhaps I should have included a qualifier such as, "according to Christian theology" or "according to the Bible."

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs1
Sage

Post #10

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I have not followed this particularly story, but in general the answer is: Yes, a murdered could go to heaven.

Two important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin