Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg

Tcg
Savant

Re: Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #41

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm I think Mr. Brian crumbled under the same curse our country is being dealt with.
His name is Brian Laundrie. This is a debate sub-forum where evidence is expected. Can you present any that would support your opinion?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Difflugia »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pmI think Mr. Brian crumbled under the same curse our country is being dealt with.
Misogyny laced with narcissism? Yeah, that sounds about right.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #43

Post by Tcg »

Difflugia wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:57 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pmI think Mr. Brian crumbled under the same curse our country is being dealt with.
Misogyny laced with narcissism? Yeah, that sounds about right.
Well, sure. When has that stopped people from getting into heaven?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #44

Post by 1213 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm ...And righteousness, has to do with doing what is right, which is keeping God's Commandments. Wickedness, would be lawlessness,...
I agree with that. But, I have understood righteous person understands what is good and right and wants to do that. But, I think it is also good to remember these:

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

It is possible that righteous person makes mistakes, he is not necessary perfect. But the difference between righteous and wicked is, righteous person regrets and does better when he knows he has done a mistake. And his mistakes are forgiven and forgotten.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #45

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:19 am
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm ...And righteousness, has to do with doing what is right, which is keeping God's Commandments. Wickedness, would be lawlessness,...
I agree with that. But, I have understood righteous person understands what is good and right and wants to do that. But, I think it is also good to remember these:

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

It is possible that righteous person makes mistakes, he is not necessary perfect. But the difference between righteous and wicked is, righteous person regrets and does better when he knows he has done a mistake. And his mistakes are forgiven and forgotten.
I don't think a righteous man repents, and then wash and rinse again. King David sinned and was cut off from God, died to God, and confessed, repented, and produced fruit in line with his repentance. He didn't continue to sin, being cut off from God, after being one with God, being cut off is something he didn't want to repeat. The sinner is cut off from God, and is among the walking dead, they just don't know it. As for Jacob (My servant Israel), his chastisement, will precede the "total destruction" of the nations/Gentiles, in the day of the Lord (Jeremiah 30:9-11) & (Daniel 2:45). At that time, Jacob/Israel will be saved from afar, and his "offspring" will be saved from the land of their captivity (Jeremiah 30:10), and returned to the land given to Jacob, with David as their king (Jeremiah 30:9 & Ezekiel 37:24-28). No one escapes judgment, but apparently Jacob is limited to a just chastening, and not a complete destruction as with the nations/Gentiles where I scattered you, although the just chastening of Jacob/Israel over history seems a bit harsh. 6 million Jews during WWII. At least they will have a remnant. (Isaiah 10:21)

As for Luke 18:10-14, the same time event account (Luke 18:18-23) was given in Matthew 19:16-23, by an actual witness, and they don't match. All matters require two to three witness to verify (Deuteronomy 17:7 & Matthew 18:16). A 3 legged stool is more stable than a one legged stool. A "confession" is only the start. One must then repent, and produce fruit in line with that repentance (Matthew 3), or they will find themselves cut off, and thrown into the fire. As for confessing to God, nothing is hidden from God. As in James 5:17, "confess your sins to one another", so they can pray for you, so you might be healed. God does not hear the prayers of sinners. (John 9:31). There is no upside to being a sinner, except in the world of the false prophet Paul, who thinks the more you sin, the more grace you receive.

brunumb
Savant

Post #46

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:19 am For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
If you examine some of the wicked people throughout history I think you will find that to be demonstrably false. It's just religious rhetoric.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #47

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:48 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:19 am For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
If you examine some of the wicked people throughout history I think you will find that to be demonstrably false. It's just religious rhetoric.
Not only that, the religious rhetoric itself advises against gloating and yet we see it time and time again:
Proverbs 24:

17 Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice,
18 or the Lord will see and disapprove
and turn his wrath away from them.
Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #48

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:29 am
Not only that, the religious rhetoric itself advises against gloating and yet we see it time and time again:
Proverbs 24:

17 Do not gloat when your enemy falls;
when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice,
18 or the Lord will see and disapprove
and turn his wrath away from them.
Tcg
By not gloating, people can't feel superior and look down at others. And let's face it, that's a big part of the reasons why believers believe; to feel superior. Of course there are exceptions, but on this forum, I've seen few exceptions from beleivers.
So yeah, they tend to 'skip' the 'don't gloat' part of their god's word. Pickin-n-choosin' man... pickin-n-choosin'
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #49

Post by 1213 »

Can you give one example of wicked person in the history, that was not overthrown by calamity?

Savant

Post #50

Post by 1213 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:35 pm ...
As for Luke 18:10-14, the same time event account (Luke 18:18-23) was given in Matthew 19:16-23, by an actual witness, and they don't match. ...
Sorry, I don't see how they don't match.