Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #21

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:08 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am
bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I have not followed this particularly story, but in general the answer is: Yes, a murdered could go to heaven.

Two important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
Makes me wonder if a murderer, who was instructed to do so by god, can be 'heaven bound'. After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?
Neither David nor Moses were instructed to commit murder.

God kills everyone. If an omnipotent Being exists then every death happens, at the very least, by His permission. I can’t get on board with the idea that the existence of death is sinful. Living forever in our current state sounds terrible.
Good thing I didn't accuse David or Moses of being instructed to commit murder.
And yes, living forever like this sounds terrible. I'd say living forever in any aspect sounds terrible as we can't imagine what 'forever' is like.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm ...Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?
I don't know who will be in heaven, but I know that, if he was righteous, he will have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #23

Post by TRANSPONDER »

It isn't Murder if God approves it. And some Christian apologists in the past when I have argued a set of conditions that guarantee heaven, have told me that nobody is guaranteed heaven. But of course I don't know whether that's just a get - out clause and just knowing the secret handshake means that you can count on salvation, no matter what you've done.

bjs1
Sage

Post #24

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 am

I have not followed this particularly story, but in general the answer is: Yes, a murdered could go to heaven.

Two important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
Makes me wonder if a murderer, who was instructed to do so by god, can be 'heaven bound'. After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?

God kills everyone. If an omnipotent Being exists then every death happens, at the very least, by His permission. I can’t get on board with the idea that the existence of death is sinful. Living forever in our current state sounds terrible.
Then I am not sure why you brought this up in response to my post.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 am And yes, living forever like this sounds terrible. I'd say living forever in any aspect sounds terrible as we can't imagine what 'forever' is like.
Here we disagree. Eternity in our current state sounds terrible. One of the central Christian/biblical statements about heaven is that “we will be changed.”
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm ...Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?
I don't know who will be in heaven, but I know that, if he was righteous, he will have eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46
Well that creates quite a quandary for those expecting the Bible to clear this up for us:

Romans 3:9 What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10 as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
You state that if Brian was righteous he would have eternal life, but Romans 3 states clearly that no one is righteous.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:55 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 am

Then I am not sure why you brought this up in response to my post.
nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:17 am And yes, living forever like this sounds terrible. I'd say living forever in any aspect sounds terrible as we can't imagine what 'forever' is like.
Here we disagree. Eternity in our current state sounds terrible. One of the central Christian/biblical statements about heaven is that “we will be changed.”
We do. I don't think people can understand 'forever' or 'eternity' well enough to say they will like it. But that's just my view.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #27

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:24 pm ...
You state that if Brian was righteous he would have eternal life, but Romans 3 states clearly that no one is righteous.
Then we may be in a pickle, or perhaps you have misunderstood the Romans? Anyway, I think it is clear that eternal life is for righteous. And, if person is righteous, it means for example this:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Tcg
Savant

Post #28

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:32 am
Then we may be in a pickle, or perhaps you have misunderstood the Romans?
Please explain what I may have misunderstood about the following:

"None is righteous, no, not one;"

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #29

Post by benchwarmer »

Tcg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:03 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:32 am
Then we may be in a pickle, or perhaps you have misunderstood the Romans?
Please explain what I may have misunderstood about the following:

"None is righteous, no, not one;"

Tcg
I think, 1213, "we may be in a pickle". As you said in another thread:
1213 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:50 am When something is said clearly and other people reject it and replace it with their own doctrine, I don't know what else could be the reason than that the people don't like that truth. But, maybe I am wrong and they have some other reason to reject direct words. I don't see any good reason for it. Do you know some good reason, why people reject direct words?
Unless one discards the direct words and makes up their own doctrine, there is clearly an issue in claiming someone could be righteous when the Bible clearly says no one is.

Savant

Post #30

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 am ...Unless one discards the direct words and makes up their own doctrine, there is clearly an issue in claiming someone could be righteous when the Bible clearly says no one is.
But, does the scripture say that there has never been and never will be any righteous human? I don't think so, especially if we notice these:

Yahweh said to Noah, “Come with all of your household into the ark, for I have seen your righteousness before me in this generation.
Gen. 1:7

He believed in Yahweh; and he reckoned it to him for righteousness.
Gen. 15:6

By faith, Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he had testimony given to him that he was righteous, God bearing witness with respect to his gifts; and through it he, being dead, still speaks.
Heb. 11:4

and you will be blessed, because they don’t have the resources to repay you. For you will be repaid in the resurrection of the righteous.”
Luke 14:14

But, I understand it may be difficult, when it is also said:

Don’t enter into judgment with your servant, For in your sight no man living is righteous.
Ps. 143:2

As it is written, “There is no one righteous. No, not one. There is no one who understands. There is no one who seeks after God.
Romans 3:10-11

Maybe the word “righteous” can be understood in several ways, righteous, just, justice, cleansed, clear ourselves, righteousness, observing divine laws, innocent, faultless, guiltless. I understand the point is, no one has been perfect, but, some can still be counted righteous if they show they are faithful (loyal) to God.

Now that no man is justified by the law before God is evident, for, "The righteous will live by faith."
Galatians 3:11

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without the law. As many as have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it isn't the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be justified (for when Gentiles who don't have the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying with them, and their thoughts among themselves accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.
Romans 2:12-16

But, if i am wrong and no one can be counted righteous, then no one will have eternal life.