Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg

Savant

Re: Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:03 pm Please explain what I may have misunderstood about the following:

"None is righteous, no, not one;"
I think the problem is with the forgetting the beginning of it:

As it is written, “There is no ….
Romans 3:10-11

At that point it may have been so that there was no one righteous. it does not mean there could not be at any time anyone who could be counted righteous. And I think the point is in New Testament to turn people to the wisdom of the just, which I have understood is the same as to righteousness.

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
Luke 1:17

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #32

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:06 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:48 am ...Unless one discards the direct words and makes up their own doctrine, there is clearly an issue in claiming someone could be righteous when the Bible clearly says no one is.
But, does the scripture say that there has never been and never will be any righteous human? I don't think so, especially if we notice these:

Yahweh said to Noah, “Come with all of your household into the ark, for I have seen your righteousness before me in this generation.
Gen. 1:7

He believed in Yahweh; and he reckoned it to him for righteousness.
Gen. 15:6

By faith, Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he had testimony given to him that he was righteous, God bearing witness with respect to his gifts; and through it he, being dead, still speaks.
Heb. 11:4

and you will be blessed, because they don’t have the resources to repay you. For you will be repaid in the resurrection of the righteous.”
Luke 14:14

But, I understand it may be difficult, when it is also said:

Don’t enter into judgment with your servant, For in your sight no man living is righteous.
Ps. 143:2

As it is written, “There is no one righteous. No, not one. There is no one who understands. There is no one who seeks after God.
Congratulations, you just pointed out more contradictions in the Bible :)

The Bible words in this case are plain and easy to understand. It is only in the light of needing them to say something else that apologists have to start inventing excuses for why it says one thing in one place and another somewhere else.

My point was that you, 1213, have said that the Bible plainly states things. Clearly it doesn't (or you think it's plain when it happens to match your preferred understanding).
1213 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:06 pm Maybe the word “righteous” can be understood in several ways, righteous, just, justice, cleansed, clear ourselves, righteousness, observing divine laws, innocent, faultless, guiltless. I understand the point is, no one has been perfect, but, some can still be counted righteous if they show they are faithful (loyal) to God.
Let the tap dancing begin. You can't out of one side of your mouth say the Bible states anything plainly and then out of the other side of your mouth say "Well, in this case it might mean ....". It's pure hypocrisy and/or special pleading.

Now we argue over when the Bible is speaking plainly and when it isn't. Which is up to interpretation.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter what the Bible says, apologists will massage it to their preferred understanding using whatever method they think will get them there. Unfortunately, it's not convincing in the least to anyone actually questioning things with a critical mind.
1213 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:06 pm But, if i am wrong and no one can be counted righteous, then no one will have eternal life.
If you assume the Bible is the final authority. If by some chance there is actually a being (or beings) in charge, then I imagine the final decision will be up to them, not whatever some humans decided to write down.

Savant

Post #33

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm …My point was that you, 1213, have said that the Bible plainly states things. Clearly it doesn't (or you think it's plain when it happens to match your preferred understanding)…
I think the problem in this case you assume that for example Romans 3:10-11 means every human, in every time. I think there is no good reason for that assumption. Also, the meaning of righteous may change in different parts of the Bible, which I think comes clear from the context and then is really not about interpretation but about how Bible explains matters.
benchwarmer wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:06 pm Maybe the word “righteous” can be understood in several ways, righteous, just, justice, cleansed, clear ourselves, righteousness, observing divine laws, innocent, faultless, guiltless. I understand the point is, no one has been perfect, but, some can still be counted righteous if they show they are faithful (loyal) to God.
…You can't out of one side of your mouth say the Bible states anything plainly and then out of the other side of your mouth say "Well, in this case it might mean ....". It's pure hypocrisy and/or special pleading.

Now we argue over when the Bible is speaking plainly and when it isn't. Which is up to interpretation.
Ok, sorry, I think Bible is clear in what it says. But, to understand it correctly, you may need to read more than one line. For example, the romans 3:10-11 continues with:

They have all turned aside. They have together become unprofitable. There is no one who does good, No, not, so much as one.” “Their throat is an open tomb. With their tongues they have used deceit.” “The poison of vipers is under their lips;” “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness.” “Their feet are swift to shed blood. Destruction and misery are in their ways. The way of peace, they haven’t known.” “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
Romans 3:12-19

I think that last part explains what is meant with those who are not “righteous” in the Romans 3:10-11. So, it is speaking of them that fit to the description. I don’t think it says, all people in all times are like that. If you think it is about all possible people, in all times, why do you think so?

And if we look for example this:

He believed in Yahweh; and he reckoned it to him for righteousness.
Gen. 15:6

In that, Abraham believed what God said and that was counted righteousness for him. Does that mean Abraham was righteous, or does it mean that “he believed God”, was counted righteousness for him?

Tcg
Savant

Post #34

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am
I think the problem in this case you assume that for example Romans 3:10-11 means every human, in every time.
There is no assumption involved. It is the clear reading of the passage. An approach you claim leads to a proper understanding of scripture. Why the exception now?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 pm
I think the problem in this case you assume that for example Romans 3:10-11 means every human, in every time.
There is no assumption involved...
Then please explain why do you think it is about all people in all times?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by nobspeople »

I wonder if, when we get to Heaven, if we will be surprised by some of those we see (or don't see)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #37

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:36 pm .
Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg
Brian is in the grave/pit/Sheol, along with everyone else who has died for their own iniquity (Jeremiah 31:30), along with the false prophet Paul, who declared we shall not all sleep/die. If you have questions whether Brian actually perished, well you will probably have to rely on news reports. As for your John 3:16 quote, one must look to who this "son" was. John 1:14, defines him as the "Word" became flesh. If one does not believe the "Word", and thinks it is "obsolete" or nailed to the cross, and done away with, then one is in effect among the "world did not know him" (John 1:10).

Tcg
Savant

Post #38

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:19 am
Tcg wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:42 pm
There is no assumption involved...
Then please explain why do you think it is about all people in all times?
Because it is the clear meaning of the passage. It mentions no exceptions. One has to add those to view it differently given that there are none.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #39

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:31 am
Brian is in the grave/pit/Sheol...
How do you know that this applies to Brian?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #40

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

1213 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:07 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:03 pm Please explain what I may have misunderstood about the following:

"None is righteous, no, not one;"
I think the problem is with the forgetting the beginning of it:

As it is written, “There is no ….

At that point it may have been so that there was no one righteous. it does not mean there could not be at any time anyone who could be counted righteous. And I think the point is in New Testament to turn people to the wisdom of the just, which I have understood is the same as to righteousness.

He will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, ‘to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,’ and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”
Luke 1:17
I think the quote from Luke 1:17 comes from Malachi 4:5-6, which leaves out, "lest I come and smite the land with a curse". Apparently, this country's law enforcement and courts have fallen, with respect to keeping the law, and the curse is more murders, rapes, thefts, fraud, immorality, insanity, drug abuse, child abuse, spouse abuse, hurricanes, earthquakes, plagues, insects, and generally what could be considered a curse. I think Mr. Brian crumbled under the same curse our country is being dealt with. And righteousness, has to do with doing what is right, which is keeping God's Commandments. Wickedness, would be lawlessness, in the nailing the Law to the cross, transgressing the Law, known as sin, the apparent general dynamic of the "Christian" church.