Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Those who have been following the news covering the disappearance of Gabi Petito and then subsequent discovery of her body are familiar with name, Brian Laundrie. Gabi and Brian traveled from the Eastern U.S. in her van to the West intending to visit key sites and national parks. Brian returned to his parent's house in Florida with Gabi's van, but without her. Her body was later discovered not far from the last known camp site they shared together. Gabi's death has been ruled a homicide, but the perpetrator has not been determined. Brain is of course the key suspect, but recently his skeletal remains have been found so we may never know the details of Gabi's death for sure.

The question for debate relies on the teaching some claim is the path to heaven, that being acceptance of Jesus as one's personal savior. The following is an example though others may describe it slightly differently:

How can I accept Jesus as my personal savior?

A Savior is a rescuer, redeemer, or one who saves someone else. Jesus is Savior of the world in every aspect of this word. Jesus rescues us from sin and eternal punishment when we trust in Him by faith. He is a redeemer because He paid the cost of our sins through His death on the cross. He can save us because He has the power to forgive sins and the desire to save those who trust in Him.

To accept Jesus as your personal Savior is to acknowledge who Jesus is in your own life. It is to believe in Him. John 1:12 says: "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." John 3:16 adds, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

https://www.compellingtruth.org/personal-savior.html
Assuming that Brian was responsible for her death and that he at some point before his death accepted Jesus as his savior, could Brian Laundrie be in heaven?

Tcg

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Could Brian Laundrie be in Heaven?

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:45 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 pm
No.

Notions of the afterlife, and heavens, and hells are purely the product of man's imagination. They represent the hopes and wishes of a species aware of its own mortality.
Yes, there is that. Perhaps I should have included a qualifier such as, "according to Christian theology" or "according to the Bible."

Tcg
Then we're stuck with a thread best suited to Theology, Doctrine & Dogma.

According to the bible, there's talking serpents, the water walking, and dead hopping up, and bushes holding conversations, and all manner of carrying on. Relying on the Bible to seek truth is as goofy as the pretty thing relying on me to do my chores when she runs shopping.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:56 pm
No.

Notions of the afterlife, and heavens, and hells are purely the product of man's imagination. They represent the hopes and wishes of a species aware of its own mortality.
Yes, there is that. Perhaps I should have included a qualifier such as, "according to Christian theology" or "according to the Bible."

Tcg

According to the bible, there's talking serpents, the water walking, and dead hopping up, and bushes holding conversations, and all manner of carrying on. Relying on the Bible to seek truth is as goofy as the pretty thing relying on me to do my chores when she runs shopping.
I'm not suggesting that the Bible is authoritative therefore this thread wouldn't qualify for TD&D. I'm asking this question, at least in part, to see if any consensus can be reached. So far it doesn't look like it. This is most certainly not, "Relying on the Bible to seek truth."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 pm
No.

Tcg

I'm not suggesting that the Bible is authoritative therefore this thread wouldn't qualify for TD&D. I'm asking this question, at least in part, to see if any consensus can be reached. So far it doesn't look like it. This is most certainly not, "Relying on the Bible to seek truth."

Tcg
Ah, I sometimes forget this thing can be looked at from the perspective of other religions beside the big C. I'll still hold to my previous comments as relates to there not being a Heaven to get there, but retract the rest and blame it on anyone but me.

Thanks for the schooling.

Carry on :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:07 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 pm
No.

Tcg

Tcg
Ah, I sometimes forget this thing can be looked at from the perspective of other religions beside the big C. I'll still hold to my previous comments as relates to there not being a Heaven to get there, but retract the rest and blame it on anyone but me.

Thanks for the schooling.

Carry on :wave:
I agree with your previous comments concerning Heaven and appreciate the reminder that I should state my questions more clearly.

Here's a :wave: from a guy that almost never uses them!

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

The latest news reports include the North Port police admitting to "costly mistakes" in the Brian Laundrie investigation -https://www.insider.com/north-port-poli ... on-2021-10. Is it equally possible that those who claim to know how to attain Heaven have made costly mistakes in their assessment in how Heaven is attained?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pmTwo important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
This is a non sequitur. Just because a murderer is spoken of glowingly in the Bible, it doesn't follow that he or she ended up in Heaven. Revelation 21 says with no qualification that "the cowardly, unbelieving, sinners, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars" will perish in the lake of fire.

The real test is whether or not what they did was murder. It's pretty certain that David and Moses were murderers, but we also have heinous homicides where it's possible or even certain that Yahweh ordained them as holy. Saul, for example, "hewed Agag to bits" in cold blood ("Agag came to him cheerfully," remember). Agag was preordained by Yahweh as a holy sacrifice (along with the Amalekite cattle and nursing babies). Saul was just carrying out the sacrifice. David perished (or is perishing, depending on your theology) in the lake of fire, while Saul is resting serenely upon the bosom of Abraham. In the same vein as the misplaced hope that Brian may have escaped Hell by repenting and accepting Christianity, we may instead speculate that Yahweh spoke to Brian and told him to offer Gabby's life to Him, perhaps because because Yahweh knew that she had secretly been an idolater or a coward.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I have not followed this particularly story, but in general the answer is: Yes, a murdered could go to heaven.

Two important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
Makes me wonder if a murderer, who was instructed to do so by god, can be 'heaven bound'. After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #18

Post by benchwarmer »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?
Maybe God is not in heaven? Plot twist?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:23 am
nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?
Maybe God is not in heaven? Plot twist?
Being no one knows where heaven actually is... who knows :?:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Post #20

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am
bjs1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:53 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I have not followed this particularly story, but in general the answer is: Yes, a murdered could go to heaven.

Two important biblical characters (Moses and David) were both murderers who were still honored in the Bible.
Makes me wonder if a murderer, who was instructed to do so by god, can be 'heaven bound'. After all, god killed millions. Maybe god's above the rules?
Neither David nor Moses were instructed to commit murder.

God kills everyone. If an omnipotent Being exists then every death happens, at the very least, by His permission. I can’t get on board with the idea that the existence of death is sinful. Living forever in our current state sounds terrible.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin