I hope you die

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

I hope you die

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's a statement we've all heard at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's when we were kids and didn't have enough couth to know better, other times it was in the heat of an argument, other times it may have been simply thinking the world would be better without said person(s).

For those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife? In other words, 'I hope you die!', normally seen as a negative statement, should be a positive one; dying would remove them from this hurtful world and place them in a wonderful eternity.

So why don't we say this more often?

Some would say 'it's rude', 'it's hateful', 'their work isn't yet done', or a myriad of other reasons not to say it. But, if you 'know' that person is bound for a perfect afterlife, why not 'wish' them a speedy means to get to that afterlife?

It may seem juvenile, but the underlying reasoning is sound: death -> afterlife. Why not wish it on them?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: I hope you die

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am It's a statement we've all heard at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's when we were kids and didn't have enough couth to know better, other times it was in the heat of an argument, other times it may have been simply thinking the world would be better without said person(s).

For those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife?...
By what I see, if person has afterlife, he doesn't exactly die. If you wish afterlife for someone, it would be better to say, "I wish afterlife for you". :)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:) I thought it was going to me a piece on morality - how some people can wish those who are a pain and a nuisance to remove themselves from their life in the most convenient way possible - and how we -all might put that Solution into operation if and when we very fallible humans are given supreme power.

Not that such a discussion would help religions very much as Religions and the religious leaders and rulers (as well as those who are not) have never shrunk from employing those methods of dealing with those whom they regarded with disfavour, the only difference ibeing that the religious have to mutter a few extra prayers, or tinker with Dogma to excuse such actions.

But no, it's about ..what Was it about? Damn my memory. It's true - at my age of mumblety - Three, I often crawl upstairs and then ask: 'What the heck did I come up here for?'

Ah yes. The oddity that sometime popped up on my former boards ...You'd think that death for people who believe that Friends and...just make that Friends .. go to a Better Place when they die and they'd be celebrating their release from this Vale of Tears. But they don't. They act as hard hit as any atheist. Ok, I know there is an element of personal loss, but really - why the doom and gloom if they really believe this decease is finally serving their time and being let into heaven? Being an atheist and supposedly having a worldview that would horrify an Orc, I no doubt see the worst in any Biblebod, but isn't it rather the more secularist side of society that gravitates towards 'celebrations of life' rather than funereal grieving?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #4

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:32 am
nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 am It's a statement we've all heard at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's when we were kids and didn't have enough couth to know better, other times it was in the heat of an argument, other times it may have been simply thinking the world would be better without said person(s).

For those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife?...
By what I see, if person has afterlife, he doesn't exactly die. If you wish afterlife for someone, it would be better to say, "I wish afterlife for you". :)
"God Bless you" takes on a whole new meaning. In act I I recall...no I don't...some Southern saying ...Yes, "Bless your heart". It so often seems to to be something that translates into "East Stool and Die, FeatherMaker!"

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:37 pm

"God Bless you" takes on a whole new meaning. In act I I recall...no I don't...some Southern saying ...Yes, "Bless your heart". It so often seems to to be something that translates into "East Stool and Die, FeatherMaker!"
Someone's on a roll today! :D

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Does wishing help?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Does wishing help?

If only :shock: .... is what I imagine some would say ;)

bjs1
Sage

Post #8

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

I can understand that why an atheist might see “I hope you die” as a blessing. If nothingness awaits then death is release from all tension, fear, stress and suffering. Nothing is really lost since someone would have to be aware of loss to experience that loss.

However, I don’t see how this could be a blessing to a Christians. Why would those who have a fullness of life want any part of death? Beyond that, Christians see life as good. Not just personally preferable, but actually better than death. So Christianity is a celebration of life where death is the final enemy to be overcome.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm
I can understand that why an atheist might see “I hope you die” as a blessing. If nothingness awaits then death is release from all tension, fear, stress and suffering. Nothing is really lost since someone would have to be aware of loss to experience that loss.
You are making the mistake, as many do, of concluding that atheism is anything other than a lack of belief in god/gods. It isn't and oddly enough some atheist believe in an afterlife:
The pull of 'heaven': Even some atheists believe in afterlife

Even atheists and agnostics, at least some, want to live on after their mortal life is spent. Shermer refers to a 2014 survey by the Austin Institute for the Study of Family and Culture of 15,738 Americans between the ages of 18 and 60 that found 32 percent of those who called themselves nonbelievers thought “there is life, or some sort of conscious existence, after death.”

He cites this tidbit: 6 percent of atheists and agnostics also believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead (compared to 37 percent overall). He concludes that one “may believe in an afterlife but not God. Or both. Or neither.”

https://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/ ... c3da2.html

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #10

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I couldn't access that site. I'm immediately wanting to check what data that claim is based on.

Referencing both posts above, while I'm happy to know that Some Christians at least regard their live as valuable because of whatever, I've debated with a lot who have implied that this life is a misery and they can't wait to die and get to the next one, and only some Unwritten Prohibition against suicide stops them taking the shortcut to paradise.

Also not infrequently we get Christian apologists insisting that atheists are miserable, suicidal and their life isn't worth living. I can understand that, if their Religion is what they think makes life worth living, they'd assume that Not having it makes for a life not worth living. In fact atheism opens up mental and social doors that make life a great gift, not least because it is finite.

Of course there is an instinct that makes us fear death. It is a survival trait found in all animals that back away from a predator. But, intellectually, an atheist, such as myself, can be matter of fact about death. The process is not one to look forward to and no -one wants to die a nasty death, but Not Existing doesn't bother me and I would suppose other atheists don't fret about it either.