I hope you die

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

I hope you die

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's a statement we've all heard at some point in our lives. Sometimes it's when we were kids and didn't have enough couth to know better, other times it was in the heat of an argument, other times it may have been simply thinking the world would be better without said person(s).

For those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife? In other words, 'I hope you die!', normally seen as a negative statement, should be a positive one; dying would remove them from this hurtful world and place them in a wonderful eternity.

So why don't we say this more often?

Some would say 'it's rude', 'it's hateful', 'their work isn't yet done', or a myriad of other reasons not to say it. But, if you 'know' that person is bound for a perfect afterlife, why not 'wish' them a speedy means to get to that afterlife?

It may seem juvenile, but the underlying reasoning is sound: death -> afterlife. Why not wish it on them?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Re: I hope you die

Post #21

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:35 am
bjs1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:31 am
nobspeople wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:22 am [Replying to bjs1 in post #8]
I don’t see how this could be a blessing to a Christians.
The idea is heaven is better than here, so die and go to heaven.
Perhaps responding to my entire post, instead of one sentence out of context, would be more helpful.
Perhaps if there was something else I found interesting, I would have. As such, that's all there is that was due a response.
But thanks for your feedback nonetheless, I suppose(?)
Then I suppose that there is nothing to debate. I explained why I think this idea is false. You disagreed without even addressing the reasoning.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:35 am
bjs1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:31 am
nobspeople wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:22 am [Replying to bjs1 in post #8]
I don’t see how this could be a blessing to a Christians.
The idea is heaven is better than here, so die and go to heaven.
Perhaps responding to my entire post, instead of one sentence out of context, would be more helpful.
Perhaps if there was something else I found interesting, I would have. As such, that's all there is that was due a response.
But thanks for your feedback nonetheless, I suppose(?)
Then I suppose that there is nothing to debate. I explained why I think this idea is false. You disagreed without even addressing the reasoning.
I addressed your issue. No reason to rehash it, now is there?
In closing, see bolded section above.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:50 amFor those that believe in a blissful afterlife, why wouldn't you wish death on someone you're sure would be going to this blissful afterlife?
That's why, if any of this religiosity happens to be true, the fact that we don't really believe it's true has to be part of the game.

I know I'm a bad person, so to do as much good as possible, the logical course of action is to kill innocent children and babies, as many as possible. I don't go to Heaven but I wasn't going anyway. And maybe those babies would have grown up and sinned.

And you can say, oh, you're going against God's plan, well, no I'm not, because me being logical and figuring out how I can help people is not some extraneous factor - my superintelligence is in play because God put it in play. After that, am I not supposed to try to help people?

It actually doesn't take superintelligence to figure this out, but no one does it, because no one really believes in any of this. And if any of this is true, the fact that no one really believes it is 100% intended. Everyone is an atheist in their heart. Everyone, in the depths of their soul, believes they're making it all up to deal with the reality of permanent, inevitable, final death, or for some other reason. Everyone who believes, believes they are playing at belief, and this especially must be true if the beliefs are true. Super confusing, but logically necessary.